Trans Labrador Highway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
First you say "I am wondering how it compares to the Haul Road, and if an FJR could travel it reasonably.I am wondering how it compares to the Haul Road, and if an FJR could travel it reasonably."
Looking through the threads linked to here, and the map you posted, I think the answer is NO, you couldn't travel it "reasonably."

Of course, that's never stopped you before!
smile.png
Good luck, my friend.

SAM_2514_zps8f41b034.jpg
Mike,

You know one of these times I am gonna pick a ride that interest you and you

are gonna wanna ride it with me… you DO know this. Right?
punk.gif
Hmm. In a true Candy Butt Association theme... a bar, a strip joint, a steak house, a strip house, a bar!

Tony, pardon if you already know this.

Your post hit one of my sensitive nerves. I researched the Trans-Lab Highway a few years ago when living in Boston -- a whale of a lot closer to this roadway than the Space Coast -- but driving to Goose Bay in my Subaru Outback, and camping a couple of places. Here's my route -- modified to leave from Atlanta.

A lot of it is paved now, I think, but I couldn't find anything definitive, including reading through the Newfoundland-Labrador DOT's website. Click here for the latest official announcement. There are stories of extremely rough road (especially after rainstorms), deep layers of coarse gravel, and big trucks hauling ass with a 1/2-mile of dust trailing them. I'm sure some of that is real, and just as sure that some of it is exaggerated.

The plan was: motor to Montreal as quickly as possible, and stay in an oooh-lah-lah hotel before heading into emptiness. Camping stops were at Manic-Cinq and Churchill Falls, two GIGANTIC hydro projects that I remember from grammar school days. (They are also guarantees of hotels and gas.)

Montreal to Manic-Cinq is about 550 miles -- perhaps too aggressive for traffic conditions, but should be mostly paved. Manic-Cinq to Churchill is less than 400 miles, and Churchill to Goose Bay is only 178 miles. The mileage for each day decreased dramatically with my expectations of dirt and gravel and to leave time in Goose Bay to hang out and see stuff (have a beer or two, or maybe three).

My plan had no illusions about using Highway 510 or 516 to Cartwright or to Mary's Bay. THAT may be lunacy. (Google Street views from 2016, taken by somebody named Jeff Adams, who rode a red motorbike: Paved at 52.972, -60.2964. Unpaved at 52.762,-59.866.)

This ride has slipped into the "never gonna happen" category now that I'm married, so best wishes to you and your FJR. The suggestion about knobbie tires is a good one, IMHO, after you leave Montreal.

<edit, 10 mins later>​ Google Street View has photos of pavement up to Churchill Falls and a little beyond. No photos past that until you get to Goose Bay, which also has pavement. Lot of undocumented miles in between, brother, but I'll bet they're all paved.

Tony, if you are going to do all that you might as well add in the Arctic Ocean, ride the Dempster all the way to Toktayaktuk, NWT.

The road was finished in November 2017, others have ridden FJRs up the Dempster as far as Inuvik, NWT. Weather dependent, definitely want 50/50 tires for the Dempster due to the potential for sloppy gravel when wet and sharp shale no matter when you do it.

No issues between Montreal and Manic-Cinque (other than possible local construction/refurbishment).

The links I posted from ridetherock.net (Post #20) are probably about as informative as anything else. As Hud points out, the official government website is not especially useful.

As with the Haul Road, the experience on especially the unpaved roads is going to be very much a function of the weather and current construction activities. Temperatures can be pretty cool, especially early in the season. Lots of bugs too as the weather gets a little warmer.

I really should let the cat out of the bag on this ride to help with advice from others. This is just one of the rides that I am considering.

The 15k+ miles would actually be part of a bigger ride and when combined with another ride attempt, the 2 rides would be combined for

a ride that I have wanted to do but was not sure If I wanted to commit the time to attempt it. The ride is called "The Longest month." That

ride is 30k in 1 calendar month / or in my case 31k in July or August.

BUTT… "The Longest Month" would be just a portion of the total ride that I want to do called "The 100k Club"

That ride has a rider riding 100k in a years time. Here is the twist to my attempt ; I was going to wait until I retire, but then thought of how

challenging it would be to pull it off with a full time job. So my initial thoughts would be to do weekend rides and take a month off in the summer

and ride from here to Sioux Falls, SD and attempt a Deca (10 BBGs), followed by another 15k+ ride to complete "The Longest Month" I am just in the

" Considering " stages right now.

My "To Do" cert list:

Deca

The Longest Month

The 100k Club

Haul Road 1000

Cape to Cape Gold

Billfish to Orca Gold

Space Chase 3000 Gold

All other rides that I am considering would probably be done on a future retirement bike: a BMW GS Adventure.

Wow - I am impressed.

Road conditions become a big factor in the planning for this sort of insanity! While some of the scenic leisurely routes might make some parts more interesting, it becomes harder to achieve the main goal. GOOD LUCK with it!!

^^^^ Damfineshootin! +1 gunny!

.... and Pathfinder? You're crazy, man. 31,000 miles in one month?!?! That's an SS1K every day!

How does one document a 100K year? Tons of receipts? Hopefully its something much easier. I'd like to attempt this in the first couple years of retirement, but I despise paperwork.

How does one document a 100K year? Tons of receipts? Hopefully its something much easier. I'd like to attempt this in the first couple years of retirement, but I despise paperwork.
It depends on who you are doing it for. If you are doing it just as a personal goal then you don't need to document it because you don't need to prove it to anyone else. Just make note of your odometer on Day 1.

If you do need to document it, just use an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 form and get a witness for Day 1 and Day 365 to verify your odometer. No paperwork in between. When I last did Iron Butt rides, I just put the gas receipts in my wallet in order. For a whole year, just pull them out periodically and throw them in the proverbial shoe box in case you need them later for proof.

Hey, Tony, I got an official reply from Kent Randell at gov.nl.ca. I had asked for the limits of paving on the Trans-Lab. He just gives percentages, but it's a safe bet to assume the paved areas are near towns or industrial sites.

I told him, "Thanks!"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Good morning Uncle Hud,

Please see the following response to your query.

Can you please provide the limits of pavement for these highway segments?

NL-500 from Labrador City to Goose Bay ... 100% paved; 526km

NL-510 from Goose Bay to NL 516 ... 29% paved; 80km

NL-510 from NL-516 to Mary's Harbour ... 5% paved; 8km

NL-516 from NL-510 to Cartwright ... 0% paved; 0km

Additional to the above, paving will be ongoing throughout the 2018 construction season. Work will continue in June on NL-510 from NL-516 to Mary’s Harbour section.

The majority of Qc-389 is paved, however, you would need to inquire with Transports Quebec for accurate numbers of paved vs. gravel surface.

I trust this is satisfactory. Safe travels.

Kent

Hey, Tony, I got an official reply from Kent Randell at gov.nl.ca. I had asked for the limits of paving on the Trans-Lab. He just gives percentages, but it's a safe bet to assume the paved areas are near towns or industrial sites.
I told him, "Thanks!"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Good morning Uncle Hud,

Please see the following response to your query.

Can you please provide the limits of pavement for these highway segments?

NL-500 from Labrador City to Goose Bay ... 100% paved; 526km

NL-510 from Goose Bay to NL 516 ... 29% paved; 80km

NL-510 from NL-516 to Mary's Harbour ... 5% paved; 8km

NL-516 from NL-510 to Cartwright ... 0% paved; 0km

Additional to the above, paving will be ongoing throughout the 2018 construction season. Work will continue in June on NL-510 from NL-516 to Mary’s Harbour section.

The majority of Qc-389 is paved, however, you would need to inquire with Transports Quebec for accurate numbers of paved vs. gravel surface.

I trust this is satisfactory. Safe travels.

Kent
Looks like waiting until next July might be advantages for me. I want to do this ride to close out my 100k year (If all goes well)

I want to attempt the "Longest month" this August, then pick away for the 10 months following at 6k a month pace. IF all went well,

I would be sitting at 90k, then next July I could take my 2019 Vacation time and do this ride. This would all be "IF all goes well"

The 100k year would be easy if I was retired and had the time, but then I would lack the $.
rolleyes.gif

Sooooo… it will begin this August 1st!

BTW- This delay on the ride will also give other riders a chance to ride it with me. Anyone???

101stpathfinder posted, very optimistically: BTW - This delay on the ride will also give other riders a chance to ride it with me. Anyone???
Love to, but it's not happening unless I win the lottery. When you ride into Labrador/Newfoundland, that will only leave Nunavut and the NW Territories unridden. Here's what Google has to say:

There are no roads to Nunavut. The 25 separate communities of Nunavut are not connected to each other by highway or by railroad, nor are they connected by road or rail to any other Canadian cities further south.

Sounds like just the challenge for you in 2020.

101stpathfinder posted, very optimistically: BTW - This delay on the ride will also give other riders a chance to ride it with me. Anyone???
Love to, but it's not happening unless I win the lottery. When you ride into Labrador/Newfoundland, that will only leave Nunavut and the NW Territories unridden. Here's what Google has to say:

There are no roads to Nunavut. The 25 separate communities of Nunavut are not connected to each other by highway or by railroad, nor are they connected by road or rail to any other Canadian cities further south.

Sounds like just the challenge for you in 2020.
I have ridden to Nunavut, but it is wet when you get there.