What does your FJR look like loaded for a trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bungee Buddies >>
228_part.JPG
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/7651-bungie-buddies-on-the-fjr/?do=findComment&comment=91960

I have pictures of them in the bags, pm if you want to see. The blog above explains where they go but the pictures are gone.

For me it's full side bags, Dufffle bag on rear seat with tent and sleeping gear, and rear trunk. The trunk is essential to me. It has easy access and where I store my riding cloths such as rain gear, and warm layers of clothing. Not uncommon to go from the 30's to the 90's in one day out west and/or mountain states. If I'm not camping the duffel bag is not needed. Tank bag for me is optional but it does provide extra space if needed for a long trip.

Bill

Here's my latest set up - as of summer 2012 - my trip with my buddy Russ Perry (shown).

The left saddle bag had my clothes in the Yamabag. The right one had my 16aaa tennis shoes, tools, Qt. of oil, and other odd items. I tended to keep the trunk near empty to accommodate my layers, groceries, and such.

Since we camped every night - save one during those two weeks, the camping gear is shown on the rear seat. The orange is my 3 man tent bag. I added a Kneeling pad beneath it to protect the seat. Behind it is my 3 1/2 thick self inflating air mattress. Both get strapped down to the back seat by 2 ROK Straps attached to the GIVI grab bars. On top of this resides a small MotoFiz seat bag. That organizes my camp kitchen, campside rocking chair, hatchet, and other camping stuff. That MotoFiz expands on both sides and holds quite a bit. Attached to the far side is a 2 liter Camel Back with an extended insulated hose w/ bite valve. I use a keychain winder to keep it handy behind me at arms reach.

The lunch box thingy is actually a 12 volt slow cooker. It gets up to 300 degrees inside and is fused at 15 amps. I plug it into a Powerlet mounted in my tail piece when I cook while driving down the road. We used it once on the trip because I am a terrible cook. I'm getting better at it now.

The yellow dry bag on the trunk rack is my 20deg. sleeping bag and pillow. I use ROK Straps exclusively on all my packing. Between the GIVI trunk mounting platform and exhaust pipe hangers there are plenty of places to strap things down. The nice things about the ROK Straps is that they stay in place when you take everything off, and once set up everything clips right back on quickly.

The tank bag is a Bags Connection unit with the electrified fuel tank quick mount ring. My iPhone charge cord plugged inside via a USB to cigarette lighter adapter. My Sena unit also charged from here, typically while we were in motion. One charge between gas stops per day kept it going all 2 weeks. We both had GMRS radios but never used them because the Sena units performed flawlessly.

I'm pretty happy with my set up, it makes for a tight package with the weight close to center of mass. The bike handled fine loaded up. The extra bonus is that it gets better fuel mileage when the space between the driver and trunk is filled up.

One downside with this set up - which we did not experience on that trip - is that my registration and proof of insurance is under the back seat along with the tire string kit and pump.

IMG_0919_zpsf3f165bb.jpg

As you can tell, we kinda got muddy riding through the flash flooded areas on the ET highway in Nevada. Makes me glad I had on a fresh Exalto on the rear, I really parted the deep waters on one of those crossings.
uhoh.gif

I'm ready to go again !!!

Brodie
rolleyes.gif

Brodie - nice to see you active on the board again :) Unfortunately I was asked by a Utah State Trooper for my registration when I went to Colorado last year with Beemerdons and Zilla and the AZ Beemer crowd. When he saw how much unloading I was gonna have to do to get under the seat he just asked me if the bike was registered in my name. Unfortunately he did still give me a performance award :(

Last years ride across the ET highway was not nearly as exciting. I was there a little earlier in the day so made it all the way to Alamo where I stayed at the wetlands park. Kinda spooky - noone else in the whole campground, thunder and lightning, humid and raining, but pretty cool anyways.

Population had decreased by 2 compared to when we visited! The condition of the bar was just about the same though, and the building across the street was miraculously still standing.

I sure am glad we decided against camping in the ravine next to it. That would have put a damper on the whole trip. Instead of driving through the flash floods, we would have been tent surfing the waves.

Brodie

;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
HZWdgDw.jpg

Heres mine loaded down with everything for me and the gf, in Nor Cal. I do my trips with the side bags, and a bookbag on the back. A tank bag for cell phones and wallets and such.

GMr4d6p.jpg

Heres just me (in NM or Texas dunno exactly) , basically same setup but without the gf i can make do with just the side bags and a tank bag. Im pretty simple and travel light. Then again, this lifestyle has backfired on me a few times and i did freeze my ass off in Washington up in the mountains. The backrest only goes on the bike for trips btw, i dont normally ride with it on there but it makes for a nice anchor for strapping down extra bags too.

My wife and I can do 2 weeks (probably longer, once you get it down to this it's was and repeat) with the side bags and a tank bad. Only have the tank bag for a note holder and for things I like to get fast, like my camera.

This is all we pack for a long weekend. We don't tent camp so no need to a tent and anywhere we go we can always find a laundromat every 3-4 days!

Dragon_med_zpsf3c860d6.jpg

Camping changes everything and I don't know how folks do it two up but they do.

Bill

I had my bike setup like this for a recent trip to Montana and back beginning in Delaware. I learned a lot about what works and what doesn't such as traveling light and just washing clothes every few days in a hotel. I'm done with camping after the Army. Next long trip, I will travel even lighter.

Latest posts