What does your FJR look like loaded for a trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my setup on a cross country trip from CA to PA. I was carrying more than the minimum since we were moving. Here I am moving through the Dragon.

9a34903e-862b-4b3c-832b-0a2ec2c669ba.jpg

Bronson could strip his Harley, enter it in a desert race, win, then put it back together and ride off into the sunset with his one shirt, one pair of pants, and his hat.

I can't do that either
no.gif

Bronson could strip his Harley, enter it in a desert race, win, then put it back together and ride off into the sunset with his one shirt, one pair of pants, and his hat.
I can't do that either
no.gif
Smoke & mirrors...
And if you remember that episode, his Sportster morphed into a Sprint for that show
rolleyes.gif

Ride to Rocky Mountain National Park (2007) for a backcountry hike. Backpack with all essential gear strapped to the rear seat;

P1010011.JPG

NAFO 2008;, IA to CO

P1000064.jpg

CA trip in 2008 (tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag added)

P1000004.jpg

I don't have any pics from CFO 2012 or other rides, but I purchased a gently used factory top case.

100_0014.JPG

tools/repair stuff in the left case, clothes in the right. Top case gets the light stuff (rain gear, bike cover, misc). Tank bag gets the mp3 player/phone, keeps reciepts and other odds & ends. Rear seat isn't used much these days, but I have ROK Straps (get those, holy crap they're awesome). I wrap them around the side bars of the rear platform.

If you're camping or looking for cheaper-than-hotel-room rates, consider KOAs. They offer their "Kabins" in which you'll find beds (cots with foam pads). You just need sheets or a sleeping bag. They offer showers and laundry facilities for relatively cheap. I've used them on my romps out to Portland, OR and to SF, CA. I took a tent on my CA trip and used the Kabins on the OR trip. I think I'd use the Kabins again instead of dragging the tent around.

Packed and headed home yesterday from trip to Boston, MA. About 40# each in the saddlebags, books, electronics & paperwork in the tank bag (FYI: thanks for the tail bag, Larry!)

20140706_125318_zps0x2wdcut.jpg

I just attach the UNI-GO and go, only extra on the bike is a large tank bag for rain suits. pic of traveling FJR above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most unique loadout? Yes please!

977964_10100523671674805_651130229_o.jpg

As a hobby I do medieval combat. That's my bike loaded up with all the stuff I needed for a week of camping out, fighting and drinking.

Tent, camp chair, duffel on the back seat with various things (lantern, boots, chainmail, etc), top case with laptop and technologies, side bags with garb, arrows + sword in quiver and shield strapped on the top, 6 foot longbow strapped diagonally across the back.

rolleyes.gif

Ok, I'll play. Pic shot somewhere in the Kootenay National Park on Hwy 93, SW of Banff, CA. We were two up for 2 weeks (4K mi.) and the load included a curling iron the Mrs. had packed. Some of the solo loads shown just make me shake my head, why so much stuff? I could understand it if it was Beemerdons, who carries every pair of chonies and panty hose he owns, but jeez, give your stock shocks a break...
confusedsmiley.png

DSC_0386.jpg

Here is the bike somewhere in Wyoming on a trip from Oregon to Virginia four years ago.

023a-WY-Big-HoleRiver.jpg

Here is the bike after smacking a dove in the early morning, somewhere outside Chimney Rock, NE.

039-NE-DoveHit.jpg

Not too much additional weight.

Pretty much like this if I'm camping (here coming back from the New Cumberland, WV, Moto Guzzi Rally over Memorial Day)

14256297606_73d57436c6_b.jpg

Otherwise, without the dry bag.

5700 mile, 2 week road trip from North Carolina to Colorado last summer. Mixture of tent camping and hotels. If I'm more local, I'd also have a camp chair strapped on the pile. It's pretty easy to load up the FJR, with or without a top box. I recommend ROK Straps for tie downs...though a supplemental bungie net is great for clothes drying while riding.
wink.png

• Ortlieb large duffle (the yellow one). The end straps can actually do double duty and secure the bag on the bike by looping them through the grab bars. This usually held a jacket, spare sets of gloves, fleece pullover, "around camp" rain jacket, sleeping bag/pad, heated gear, coffee mug, and assorted small crap.
  • Walmart-brand waterproof sack (the red/white one). This usually held my tent/poles plus shoes unless any of it was wet. Their bags sell in 2 or 3 packs, so I also carried a slightly smaller sack folded up as a backup in case I picked up something along the trip that I couldn't jam in one of the sidebags.
  • Gary's Hydration system mounted on passenger footpeg on other side <--beats a Camelback ANY day.
  • Cortech Tankbag that expands to ginormous size (loved it).
  • One sidebag held clothing, shave kit, and electronics. The other held some tools (Slime Pump/sticky string under seat), bike cover, locking cable, Canyon Dancer, and other small things).
With the highly variable weather on the trip, I used pretty much everything I packed except the tire plugging stuff or tools (apart from my SealMate). Most valuable and useful gear of the trip was the hydration system.

IMG_2600-L.jpg

IMG_2743-L.jpg

IMG_2543-L.jpg
Would you mind sharing a little detail about the hydration system and how it's mounted? It looks like a great system. Thanks.

Would you mind sharing a little detail about the hydration system and how it's mounted? It looks like a great system. Thanks.
You can get one from Garauld on the forum, or Google "Skyway Hydration System." That will find you threads here with every link you could want. Or you can just make your own, as simple or as complicated as you want. For complicated, you've got insulating covers, your custom-fitted bottle-holding devices, retracting spool thingies so you can reach the bite valve on the end of your hose, etc. etc.

For simple (which I did, and which also means cheap), there's the Igloo gallon jug (which is already insulated), a piece of clear plastic tubing from Home Depot (buy more than you need), and the right size little aluminum pan from the Dollar Tree. Cut off the handle and mount on the right passenger peg with a U-bolt on the bottom. A cam-lock strap around the bottle and a piece of the frame holds it in place, and drill a hole in the top of the Igloo for the tube. The other end lays over the saddle in front of you when you ride. No need for a bite valve. Once in a I while replace the hose--that's why you bought extra. It's too much of a PITA to clean it out. Total cost under $15, and it does the job. Load it with ice at a McDonalds-type self-service soda dispenser and it's cold till it's empty. I used a half-inch brass grommet in the drilled hole to make it look elegant. Probably not really needed, but boy, it sure looks elegant. :)

BTW, after you drink, blow the water in the tube back into the bottle. Otherwise, at best, your next drink will start off with a couple mouthfuls of hot water. At worst, the water could siphon out of the bottle if the end of the tube is hanging too low.

fec83db2-7ec2-40a3-9c5b-6dc76294120e_zps62721f80.jpg

Tus Papa Chuy Viejo and Miss Donna Southbound on Mexico Ruta Uno between Mulege and Loreto en Baja California Sur, same setup as when we ride to San Miguel de Allende for a week plus out on the road! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, ese!

IMG_0017.jpg

Latest posts