Side Case split apart?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHT

Reaction score
While riding today, at around 70MPH, my left side case cover shell separated from the inner part of the bag! The outer shell is connected at the bottom with hinges and therefore just kinda hung there? My question is:

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what type of adhesive did you use to "glue" the outer shell back to the inner part of the bag?

This is on a 2003 model and it appears that the two pieces are just glued together, there are NO plastic rivets or anything else holding these two together!

So the bag was still closed and locked, but the painted panel was hanging free? Never heard of that happening!

+1, never heard of this happen, not even after being hacked off like this, the two parts still would not separate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of the side case....

2011-05-29090005.jpg

2011-05-29085813.jpg

This is a new one for me as well. Never heard of the outer shell separating. It really makes me suspicious of a prior repair/modification.

Unless Yamaha stepped up the adhesive application after those were built I have to say that has been replaced at some point..

My painter buddy and I tore one of those apart 4 years ago and there was far more glue. I assure you these things will never separate without busting the plastic. FJRGUY an Canucklehead biker will attest to that also. :blink:

OK, I agree, maybe it was from a previous repair, my question is what kind of adhesive would/should I use to repair it? I looked at Lowe's last night and there are so many different types of glues, silicone, epoxies, etc... It was overwhelming!! Should I take it to a body shop? It seems to me that a good seal with some silicone would fix it, but I would just like to get some other opinions. Thanks for your input!

JHT,

Take a look at 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive... I found it at Advanced or Autozone.

Good Luck with your fix...

03Hi Posted while I was typing. I would recommend that any adhesive you use is resilient like an RTV and not hard like an epoxy. I agree with 03Hi about 3m products, I was going to recommend:

51EZbiz2myL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Plastic Emblem and Trim adhesive Part Number: 03601

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...I've never seen that either.

I used Seal-All to glue my Bike-Johnny carbon fibre cover to my alternator cover a couple years ago. Even with the heat cycles and lots of riding, it has stuck just fine. It is a contact glue that is resistant to gas, oil and heat You may want to give that a try. I think I found it at AutoZone, but it is on-line for a buck:

7010007_elc_380112_pri_detl.jpg

Just spoke with the guy I bought the bike from... The same thing happened to the other side!!!!! He repaired it with RTV, lots of it he said, so I will be off to the local Walmart to get me a big ole tube of it and pookie that thing up and let her set for a day or two!!! I guess maybe the 100+ heat and the excessively high winds may have taken it beyond the bonding limitations!!!!

In the American automotive industry, we would say those cases were assembled on a Friday afternoon.

Dan

First I've read about this. One of my case covers is separating at the top. It can be pulled away from the case about 1/2 inch. So, it's not an isolated issue.

Carry some duct tape with you!! When it comes apart, it COMES APART!!! I will be repairing mine in the next day or two and will post some pictures of how I did it!

001-7.jpg

So, this is not normal?

002-4.jpg

Is my cover going to fly away?

Don't want to try to remove the cover. Try to get some adhesive in there from the top?

I had one sidecase do the splits like yours a few years ago. Easy fix with the right adhesive (can't remember what I used, but I put in LOTS) - No repeat on the schizophrenia.