• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy: March 1st - March 30th 2013 (details inside)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Barabas, I don't know what the tint is on these is exactly... but they are CREE LEDS and I would bet cold hard cash on them being 4500K in temperature based in many photos. I have 4500K HIDs in my SUV, that's about the perfect whiteness for a driving beam.

And because inquiring minds want to know (SacMike), I called Lorett (who is a very sweet lady and willing to answer my many questions) and found out the "Loretta" is actually another flashlight, this one is a 1000 lumen model that is 200' waterproof and more of a "hand torch" size but still quite compact. Think 2 C-cell flashlight size...

And FYI, Lorett WILL take orders starting now! Those of you impatient or too old to remember in a week (nope, not naming names!) are welcome to call right now, get your questions answered and place your order. ;) . Just remember nothing will ship until 10 orders are placed and after March 1st.

All the best,

Abe

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the mayhem begin (methaphorically speaking, of course).

I'll be ordering them on Monday! Thanks again Abe!!

Do the darla/glenda lights not need brackets? I'm slightly confused since the larger lights are coming with the brackets/mounting kit. Also does anyone out there have some pics of these smaller case lights mounted on the bike? I'd like to see exactly what they look like before I order.

Does anyone know the tint on these? Is it 2700K (Yellowish) or 4500K (cool white) or 6500K (blue tint)? Blue tint would not look good in my opinion. If I knew the LED vendor, model and bin number then there is a chance I could look up the specs. Probably a CREE led. Since this is a high end product, I am sure potential buyer would be very interested in this spec. Does anybody know this info?
Their website says that the Kristas are 6300K.

color_temp.gif

Does anyone know the tint on these? Is it 2700K (Yellowish) or 4500K (cool white) or 6500K (blue tint)? Blue tint would not look good in my opinion. If I knew the LED vendor, model and bin number then there is a chance I could look up the specs. Probably a CREE led. Since this is a high end product, I am sure potential buyer would be very interested in this spec. Does anybody know this info?
Their website says that the Kristas are 6300K.[img=[URL="https://getlitwithus.com/blog/wordpress-content/uploads/2010/06/color_temp.gif%5D"]https://getlitwithus.com/blog/wordpress-content/uploads/2010/06/color_temp.gif][/URL]
Yeah, I think the Kristas are the old ones. I do not like the tints over 4500k. Looks very blue to me.

Looked on the Cree Website and think that Clear Water is using the latest XML Led. It is offered in all "bins" from warm to cold. https://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/products/xlamp/discrete-directional/xlamp-xml

A cold tint would be a deal killer for me. I guess I have to call or wait until the product is reviewed.

Btw all the manufacturers fight for the warmer tints like 4300k and lower. The cold tint are usually the left overs that are discounted or sold to manufactures without buying power. I hope CW is going to be picky about this spec because the Erica's are high ticket stuff.

Do the darla/glenda lights not need brackets? I'm slightly confused since the larger lights are coming with the brackets/mounting kit. Also does anyone out there have some pics of these smaller case lights mounted on the bike? I'd like to see exactly what they look like before I order.
Hey Greg,

I am 90% sure the Glenda & Darla models don't come with brackets per se, because they are usually fork mounted and don't need brackets. All they need is a longer fender bolt and I believe a spacer bushing to keep the light housing away from the fork leg. If you're thinking about those models, a simple call could clear all that up I'm sure! If you would rather mount the smaller lights up higher, I'm sure C/W would work on a mounting system for you.

Here is a pic of the normal FJR location for the Glenda (and now, Darla) lights:

Clearwatere02.jpg

Btw all the manufacturers fight for the warmer tints like 4300k and lower. The cold tint are usually the left overs that are discounted or sold to manufactures without buying power. I hope CW is going to be picky about this spec because the Erica's are high ticket stuff.
I will go ahead and call Clearwater on Monday to check on the color temperature and model of LED used in the Erica/Darla, I guess I didn't think about that when I wrote up the initial post.
withstupidsmiley.gif
I will also ask about the Glenda mounting brackets for FJRs and what is included. I didn't realize we had an LED expert on the forum... thanks for the questions, Barabus!
Lkingsmiley.png

I am 90% sure the Glenda & Darla models don't come with brackets per se, because they are usually fork mounted and don't need brackets.

The Glendas--and now Darlas--have always come with a proprietary adjustable mount supplied as part of the deal by Clearwater. Know this because I'm riding the FJR he used to figure out where the best mount point was and the measurements for the mount bracket, which he then designed and had made to his specs. Glenn doesn't buy discounted, leftover, or unwanted spare parts.

The Krista (and now Erica), brackets were designed the same way (using the same bike
rolleyes.gif
), but that bracket has always been sold separately, which is why including it on this buy makes it even a much better deal (cheaper price for the lights plus the free bracket). That powder coated stainless steel mount is by far the sturdiest one of its type I've seen, which includes the Top Gun and Skyway ones. Because the size and weight of the two sizes is the same for both sizes of lights (Glenda/Darla and Krista/Erica), they all mount with the two standart Clearwater mounts.

@Barabus: I don't know the answer to your question about the tints, but they'll answer your questions if you call.

Here's the Glenda/Darla bracket somebody wanted to see, and no, I don't wash my bike very often. Note, the mount is on the fender bolt, not the fork itself, for those worried about vibration (although with no tube or filament, vibration on an LED isn't much of an issue), and the adjustment slot. The Krista/Erica mounts have a similar slot for L-R adjustment.

IMG_0193_zps8cae72df.jpg

p.s., You knew they color match the bezel with all FJR colors, right?

Their website says that the Kristas are 6300K.[img=[URL="https://getlitwithus.com/blog/wordpress-content/uploads/2010/06/color_temp.gif%5D"]https://getlitwithus.com/blog/wordpress-content/uploads/2010/06/color_temp.gif][/URL]
Yeah, I think the Kristas are the old ones. I do not like the tints over 4500k. Looks very blue to me.
Looked on the Cree Website and think that Clear Water is using the latest XML Led. It is offered in all "bins" from warm to cold. https://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/products/xlamp/discrete-directional/xlamp-xml

A cold tint would be a deal killer for me. I guess I have to call or wait until the product is reviewed.
I have the Kristas / Glendas...real world, they look way white to me

Glendas (on fender/fork) are wired full bright 100% time

Kristas are adjustable

full low:

4597002453_32266c5984_z.jpg

medium or half

4597002457_6f952f87c3_z.jpg

full blown high beam

4597002461_6f952f87c3_z.jpg

Hey Greg,

I am 90% sure the Glenda & Darla models don't come with brackets per se, because they are usually fork mounted and don't need brackets. All they need is a longer fender bolt and I believe a spacer bushing to keep the light housing away from the fork leg. If you're thinking about those models, a simple call could clear all that up I'm sure! If you would rather mount the smaller lights up higher, I'm sure C/W would work on a mounting system for you.

Here is a pic of the normal FJR location for the Glenda (and now, Darla) lights:

Clearwatere02.jpg

I will go ahead and call Clearwater on Monday to check on the color temperature and model of LED used in the Erica/Darla, I guess I didn't think about that when I wrote up the initial post.
withstupidsmiley.gif
I will also ask about the Glenda mounting brackets for FJRs and what is included. I didn't realize we had an LED expert on the forum... thanks for the questions, Barabus!
Lkingsmiley.png
Thank you so much Linc! That's where I was hoping they would mount and looks great to me. I shall be ordering soon!

what are your thoughts on an install of Glenda for the occasional night ride? What extra parts are needed for install, swithces, wiring?

thanks

ron

what are your thoughts on an install of Glenda for the occasional night ride? What extra parts are needed for install, swithces, wiring?
thanks

ron
they would be great...if Glenda's were my only aux lights, I'd purchase a set of mirror mounts when I purchased the lights and mount them high like where Krista's would go...at full bright, they do put a good amount of light out on the road. To me, fork/fender lights are mostly for conspicuity even though they do light up the road just ahead.

they come with everything you need for install on the fender/forks...less the mirror mounts if you choose to put them up high

in my kit years ago, they didn't come with an on/off switch which is fine, all though I added one (they may come with it now). they are wired to only come on with the headlights which is only when the engine is running (unless using the kill switch to shut the bike down).

https://clearwaterlights.com/downloads/v6_manuals/Glenda%20Yamaha%20FJR%20v6.1_web.pdf

Is it possible to run two sets of Erica's? One top mounted, the other bottom mounted?
Weight-wise you could. Two Ericas weigh about a pound less than one Soltek Fuego (at least one forum dude mounted four Kristas over-and-under a while back, with pictures--TriggerT IIRC?). But 24,000 Lumens? You really need it? That image in the left column of the brochure on the previous page shows you what ONE pair of Ericas will give you.

Electrons-wise, better check with one of our electrical gurus. Or call Clearwater and ask Glenn.

(edit) Found a pic of TriggerT's install. Lots of light. (Kristas and Ericas = same dimensions)

dsc_0014-1.jpg

Is it possible to run two sets of Erica's? One top mounted, the other bottom mounted?
24,000 Lumens? You really need it? That image in the left column of the brochure on the previous page shows you what ONE pair of Ericas will give you.

Electrons-wise, better check with one of our electrical gurus. Or call Clearwater and ask Glenn.
Ummmm... not that I'm a guru but I KNOW there's not extra wiggle room for 240W of light in a Gen2 FJR's charging system. If you never had both sets on high at the same time you could maybe get away with it, but as Mike mentioned I have to ask why you'd need 24K lumens? I'm going with one set of Erica's under the assumption it'll be more than I need. I wouldn't recommend pushing the stator/battery combo more than the 200-ish watts it's rated for above and beyond what the bike draws for normal operation.

Is it possible to run two sets of Erica's?

One top mounted, the other bottom mounted?
24,000 Lumens? You really need it? That image in the left column of the brochure on the previous page shows you what ONE pair of Ericas will give you.

Ummmm... not that I'm a guru but I KNOW there's not extra wiggle room for 240W of light in a Gen2 FJR's charging system. If you never had both sets on high at the same time you could maybe get away with it, but as Mike mentioned I have to ask why you'd need 24K lumens? I'm going with one set of Erica's under the assumption it'll be more than I need. I wouldn't recommend pushing the stator/battery combo more than the 200-ish watts it's rated for above and beyond what the bike draws for normal operation.
Don- I think you should do it. No problem.

These are great lights. Glenn has great products and runs a great business. Most of you probably knew that so I am preaching to the choir here. I used to have a set of Kristas - loved the lights, they are premium priced, but will most probably outlast your bike, unless you use the lights as sliders..
wink.png

As for doubling up the Erica's for 24,000 lumens or even teaming up the Erica's with 6000 lumens each with an HID headlamp system, there is something to be said about rider eye fatigue at night caused by hours of too much/too bright of a light projected on the road. I know some had issues with the way just a pair of 55W HIDs fatigued their eyes. More is not necessarily better. For me 35W HID Low Beams and the Kristas filling up for high beams was about perfect. I have replaced that setup with something similar. YMMV.