Linked Brakes and ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Ok, I know, I have heard all the arguments why "experienced riders" don't like linked brakes, and that is not the purpose of this thread.

What I would like to point out to new 06 owners is how to take full advantage of their linked braking system. If you look at how the system works, you will see that not all the pucks on the front brake are engaged when you just pull the front brake level. And this bike even has separate pads on the front brakes for the pistons, so if you only activate the front brake lever you are not only getting less force applied, but it is applied over a smaller area.

This means you will probably need to un-learn some of your old braking habits. I know, for years you have tried to stay off the rear brake to prevent yourself from locking the rear wheel. But now, in order to brake properly on this bike, you are going to have to use BOTH brakes together, and you are going to have to make this a habit. You no longer need to fear locking the rear wheel, since the ABS will prevent that. I would suggest you go out on an isolated road and try stopping with just the front brake, and then do the same stop with both brakes. I think you will be amazed at the difference it makes when you engage the rear brake, as now it brings all the pistons and pads into play on the front wheel. Do yourself a favor and spend some time getting the feel of using both brakes in concert. I think you will be glad you did next time you need to stop in a hurry.

I have been riding on linked ABS brakes on my GL1800 for about 4 years now, and once I got used to them, I really do like them. They are by far the best brakes I have had on any motorcycle and I feel much more confident, and no longer have to worry about locking the rear wheel. But I did have to unlearn some old habits and fear of the rear brake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, Fred. (was that the name of a band?) I'm a big advocate of LBS - even more so when hooked into ABS.

I too am a big fan of brakes. They come in real handy, sometimes if I needs them. Seriously, I have always used both front and rear simultaneously, just seemed to be the best plan. I would imagine though, that the fronts alone still provide the greatest braking action,linked or not.

Yes, the brakes on the 06 are great, but I must point out that using both sets of brakes, front and rear, will out perform just using the front...on any bike, linked, ABS, or not...

And, because the brakes are linked, using the rear pedal or the front lever alone does apply brakes at both ends...but because each controls a set number of pucks, it should be fairly easy to understant that using ALL of them you will achieve maximum braking for the bike.

KM

And, because the brakes are linked, using the rear pedal or the front lever alone does apply brakes at both endsKM
This is the reason that I like linked vs non linked. I rented a K1200GT for three days last summer in Arizona and quickly discovered that all the negative things I'd heard about linked systems was untrue. I found that the bikes suspension was much more stable upon entering corners and I just felt alot more confident braking late into corners without any nose dive. I'm not saying that this is the best for stoping quickly, but it was the "cat's meow" for handling.

Bottom line is to know your brakes and what system you have and how it works!

Speed does not kill, not knowing your brakes will!

what you experienced on the bmw might have had more to do with the telelever front end than the linked brakes.

one of the things that (having come from a BMW) I find somewhat objectionable about the fjr is the front end nose dive when hammering the brakes. Yes - I know and am adjusting a great deal of it out -

but on a beemer - there is little to NONE. Lots of folks complain about a "vague" feeling from telelever front ends, but I find them fabulous... once you get used to them. The new front end on the K S bike (Hossack) might even be better though hard to compare as the bikes are so disimilar.

That said - linked brakes are pretty cool, especially when trail braking - though I guess it really isn't trail braking any more.

IMHO - ABS is the biggest bang for your braking buck. Links come a distant second.... but they are better than not linked (at least.. now they are).

ABS plus linked brakes was a major plus in the decsion to purchase the FJR. I can go to a parking lot and pratice emergency manuvers and braking, but how do you pratice panic I'll take all the help I can get in that department.

Handy in relaxed driving - just tap the foot lever and stop. Betcha though if you grab a handfull of front brake even with 4 pucks operational, you will activate the ABS without the help of the other 2 from the rear LBS.

Heck with the AE you won't have to pull any bar mounted levers to stop or go. Gonna have to do hand squeeze therapy to stay in shape for regular bikes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, Fred. (was that the name of a band?) I'm a big advocate of LBS - even more so when hooked into ABS.
I believe that was "Right Said Fred"...but you were close.

:guitar:

My attempt at humor... I shall stop. :blink:

My VFR showed little or no dive, so BMW's acclaimed suspension may not be the end all to anti-dive... ;)

Linked brakes,...traction control....oh ya & not being able to walk & chew gum @ the same time....great....the gene pool is starting to get really shallow isn't it :boredom:

Linked brakes,...traction control....oh ya & not being able to walk & chew gum @ the same time....great....the gene pool is starting to get really shallow isn't it :boredom:

You just figuring that out? For chrissakes! Just look at twowheelnut!

Jesus H Christmas skooter.....I was trying not to mention any names :blink: ....but there you go....TWN...I swear I wasn't going to say anything....honest :D

You just figuring that out? For chrissakes! Just look at twowheelnut! He is, after all, the epitome of brilliance and possesses all the wisdom of The Prophets. I bow to His Most Awesome Magnificence! I am his humble, little brainless bitch with a big head an funny dunce cap...

Why, thank you, waterboy! B)

Jesus H Christmas skooter.....I was trying not to mention any names :blink: ....but there you go....TWN...I swear I wasn't going to say anything....honest :D

Lookit, junior, have some balls and stop hiding behind skooter's skirt. I got plenty of bitch slap for everyone. Not a problem. :fuck:

"Junior....Junior....we called the dog Indiana".....TWN check the birthdays slim....you young whippersnappers are starting to get out of control......skooter....I need help...TWN is suffering delusions of godliness again....it must be time for another shot :moil: or is it :headbonk: ....

I use 'junior' only to describe mental development - kinda like how I use 'protozoan' to describe skooter's, but you're a bit more advanced. Got it? Good. ;)

"And, because the brakes are linked, using the rear pedal or the front lever alone does apply brakes at both ends...but because each controls a set number of pucks, it should be fairly easy to understant that using ALL of them you will achieve maximum braking for the bike."

I thought that on the new 06 the front brake lever ONLY activated 4 calipers on the front brakes. The rear brake would activate all of the rear and 2 of the front calipers. Is that not the case?

With my old BMW when I pulled the front brake it truely did link the front and rear brakes. I find it strange that Yammie didn't do the same as the front is the primary brake to be used.

"And, because the brakes are linked, using the rear pedal or the front lever alone does apply brakes at both ends...but because each controls a set number of pucks, it should be fairly easy to understant that using ALL of them you will achieve maximum braking for the bike."
I thought that on the new 06 the front brake lever ONLY activated 4 calipers on the front brakes. The rear brake would activate all of the rear and 2 of the front calipers. Is that not the case?
From Yamaha's site:

"Standard equipment Unified Braking System w/ABS: The front brake lever activates six of the eight front braking pistons; the rear brake pedal activates two rear pistons and the other two front pistons—for balanced anti-lock braking in all conditions."

You are correct. Front brake not linked to rear, but rear linked to front.

KM

Status
Not open for further replies.