Replacement windshield screws - 5 cents each!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potential

Reaction score
The heads of some of the stock windshield bolts got sheared off, so I decided to replace them all. Yamaha charges a rip-off $1 per screw, and I didn't like them anyway because the phillips-head slots were too easy to round out. So I bought a 100 pack of nylon M5x0.80 16mm-long screws from Small Parts for $5 plus $4 shipping. You can choose what head you want; I went with a hex head so there's no way to round it out at all; you just use an 8mm socket. I don't know if nylon screws would shear as well as the stock screws to prevent the windshield from breaking, but I assume they're adequate. Pictures:

NylonScrew.jpg

NylonWindshield.jpg

The heads of some of the stock windshield bolts got sheared off, so I decided to replace them all.
That's on purpose....they're designed that way. They're shear screws are designed to separate under the load of an accident, but are totally fine when you torque them properly.

....but I assume they're adequate.
Have fun with that.

With 90,000+ miles I've sheared like two screws and call that a $2 learning process. And having seen the stock screws work as designed personally and for sure save a windshield from destruction....$1 each is cheap even for folks that have aggressive screw drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's on purpose....they're designed that way. They're shear screws are designed to separate under the load of an accident, but are totally fine when you torque them properly.
Oh I know, that's why I bought the nylon screws instead of metal. Actually nearly all of the stock screws got rounded out when I was removing them so that's the main reason I had to replace them all.

It cost me $9 total. It's not like a waste of money if I come across something better (but fairly priced). Does anyone know what material is used for the stock screws?

Does anyone know what material is used for the stock screws?
Good question. They have a softer, waxier feel than nylon.

Do you have access to a spectrometer? Having the plastic analyzed is going to cost you ten times more than a replacement set of screws.

I would stick with the stock windshield screws. But, if you want to save 95¢/screw AND feel confident that they have the same properties as the stock ones...

check out The Polymer Lab

Stick with the Yammie screws. $0.99 is a cheap excuse for a visit to the dealer to check out all the new bikes and bs the salesmen.

Yeah like these.. https://tinyurl.com/qxjeunNot the ones I posted earlier, they'd be the wrong ones.

These seem to pop off just fine don't ask me how I know....

-MD
Hmmm. Purdy old thread to dig up..

Hope nobody got hurt... :unsure:
No no people or windshields were lost in the testing of those screws, only an 06 Blue W bracket which also costs too damn much to replace, a long time ago and I didn't officially dig this thread up. I posted the URL thinking it was the other thread... go figure. :)