16k PR2 rear tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welldunn

Reaction score
I noticed my first PR2 rear tire was getting down to the wear bars. When I looked it up in my log book I was surprised to find that I had over 16,000 miles on it. That compares very well to the 11k average I get out of the old Pilot Roads. Needless to say I am very happy with this new tire. :yahoo:

Geeez, I wish I could get that kind of mileage out of a tire. Doesn't matter what I run, all I get is around 4-5 thousand max on a rear, not much better on a front. Commuting in the Dallas area is a bitch on tires.

Nice. I have just over 13500 on both my front and rear PR2's, and would ride them a little longer if the weather allowed, but as it is the season looks to be over, so I will change them out to get ready for the spring.

Funny, just yesterday I was noticing that my front tire was starting to not hold a line, a PR2 with 4k on it. I just never can understand how people get so many miles out of these, after 3 sets the best I do on the front is 5k max. The rear fair slightly better, but not by much.

The difference in tire mileages experienced by everyone here is just simply unbelievable. I currently have 80k on my 07. If I was only getting 5-6k on a set of tires I'd be pretty concerned about the dollars spent just on rubber. I can see why so many folks have their own tire changing gear. If you do any riding at all, changing your own is obviously the way to go.

I'll add my tire experiences to the collective just for comparison sake. Bike came with bt020 and I got 12k on the fronts and 10k on the rears. Continued to run the 020 on the fronts for a few more sets and consistently got 12k. When Bridgestone discontinued the 020 rear I went to the newer 021 rear and increased the mileage to 12k

Switched over to the Michelins. Get ready for it. 16-18k on the front. 15-16k on rear. Thats on 2 sets so far so the numbers aren't a fluke. I'm in S. Fl. so I surmise the roads are ideal for tire wear and of course there are no twisties so this has to be the most you can get from these tires. This is riding just a tad past wear bars so could probably squeeze a few thousand more out of them. They may be past their handling prime but of course I wouldn't know.

Tire wear on the rears is normal and predictable. The fronts are a little weird in that theirs a center strip on the tire about 2-3" wide that stands out and then indents on both sides of it. Sort of like a 3" ridge running around the middle of the tire thats in contact with the road. I assume thats the harder dual compound and that the indent toward the sidewall is where it meets the softer rubber. I'm surprised noone has mentioned this wear pattern. It probably affects the handling but isn't really that noticeable just cruising along

I noticed my first PR2 rear tire was getting down to the wear bars. When I looked it up in my log book I was surprised to find that I had over 16,000 miles on it. That compares very well to the 11k average I get out of the old Pilot Roads. Needless to say I am very happy with this new tire.

16-18k on the front. 15-16k on rear. Thats on 2 sets so far so the numbers aren't a fluke.
[SIZE=36pt]HOLY CRAP!![/SIZE] :blink: What am I doing wrong?? Seriously, tires are my #1 issue w/the FJR and is causing me the most grief (having to reroute, plan short, etc)... so much so I actually had thoughts of selling the bike I was so frustrated on my last jaunt (details: HERE). I've not tried the PR2 option yet so maybe there is hope!

AGirl

Dayum! I put a set of PR2's on in August and have about 4.5k on them and they still look pretty good. Haven't noticed any loss in handling either. I'll be happy as hell if I get 8-9k out of them. I ran PP's on my 01 FZ1 and was changing tires every 4-5k miles.

Must be the flat roads and being held up by all the snow birds and blue hairs.

Don't happen out here in the land of twisties. 4-5k tops.

Would say that I am envious but that would be a lie.

I have 10k on rear and 8k on front PR2s and like bhkfjr rear tire wear is normal and I have that 2" center ridge showing up on the front like he described. It has not had a great effect on handling as yet. Like him most of my riding is straight line as there just are not too many twisties in cental OK. I do not think my tires will go as far as his. I am hoping for about 2k more on the rear and a little more on the front. I keep my tire pressures at the recommended 39psi front and 41 rear and check and adjust before each ride.

Original tires were BS 020s and I got 8.2k on the rear and 10k on the front.

I'm coming up on 10k on the original Metzler Z6 tires, and they still look good. Most of that is slab,but there are a few weekend trips in there too. Guess AZ roads must be tire friendly as well.

Mike

Is it a coincidence that a majority of the folks in the hotter and dryer climates have the tire life issue? Maybe it's related to the tire temps being higher therefore making the tire softer and more apt to wear out faster.

I'm in Va and ride fairly aggressive. I had over 12k on the original Metzlers, 10k on a set of PR2's (I changed before a trip to Cali), and 11k on the current PR's that will probably get another 5 out of them.

Maybe humidity is a good thing for tires. Sucks for the rider, but good for a tire?

Just a thought.

Over 8k on my first set of PR2's and they still are not anywhere near the wear bars. At about this mileage the original Metzlers still had some tread, but the tire geometry was way off and felt really weird. PR2's are holding up very nicely. I can see getting well past 10K on them. At least half the miles are 2 up also.