• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Auxiliary Tank Group Buy (merged threads)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
Edit Edit: January 16, 2016 As far as I know, there has never been a string of three group buys in the same thread before. But, let's try. If you are already familiar with this auxiliary tank set up, skip ahead to the third group buy here: <Link> If not: every couple of years, someone contacts me asking about acquiring a Tag-Along-Tank, In order to make that happen for them, multiples need to be made and I end up posting a group buy. If you are unfamiliar with this tank, I do not have an elevator pitch for it. Please read my thread: Auxiliary Cell Design. <Link> This actual Tag-Along-Tank idea began as a tangent on <Page 2> of that thread.

Edit: 16 July 2015 -> This group buy from 2010 was merged with a group buy from 2015. The 2015 group buy starts on page 5 of this thread. I don't recall when this first post was redlined, but it was while orders were being taken and before the tanks were built (in 2010). To see details about the 2015 group buy, see post #94 in this now merged thread. Thanks -Joe

After three long winters, I am proud to announce the completion of what I consider the ideal auxiliary tank for the GenII FJR. This should also work with the "Gen 3" FJR. <Link> (Edit: 15 July 2015)
A considerable amount of effort has gone into the development of this tank. For those not familiar with that effort, please read the thread, Auxiliary Cell Design. <Link>

The tank's capacity is 4.797 gallons. It attaches directly to the bike's rear subframe. Capacity, comfort, safety, and ease of use are all important attributes and I believe this design delivers on all counts at an exceptional value.

The fringe benefits are certainly subjective, but worth mentioning.
• The shape compliments the FJR. They look as if they were made for one another.
• The center of gravity is low, a plus for those of us who ride long distances to experience spectacular, curving roads.

Because needs differ slightly from person to person, I'm not going to tell you what you need. I'm going to offer you options.

The standard package:

DSC05216.JPG

• One Tag-Along Tank for GenII FJR
• One JAZ/Wisco flush mount filler cap (JAZ P/N 350-201-06)
• One complete set of metric stainless fasteners for the flush mount filler cap.
The popularity of the 45° JAZ filler neck necessitated larger diam. holes on the bolt hole circle
• One Panel mount valve (McMaster-Carr P/N 4118T62)
• One 1/4" 1/8"NPT X 5/16" elbow fitting (Edelmann P/N 831450 P/N 83125)
• One 1/4" NPT X 5/16" fitting (Edelmann P/N 820450)
Two Three1/8" NPT X 5/16" fittings (Edelmann P/N 820250)
• One short length of 5/16" dia fuel line.
• Silver powder coat (no second coat of clear powdercoat)
• Two replacement bushings for the FJR's stock grabrail.
• Two rubber bumpers for the tank's front supports (McMaster-Carr P/N 9310K124)
edit: the 1/4" NPT fittings were overkill

Options at no additional charge:
• Substituting a 45° filler neck (McMaster-Carr P/N 43485K154) and Pro-Werks C73-759 bung and cap assembly for the JAZ/Wisco flush mount filler cap.

Options that reduce the package price:
• Bare aluminum tank
• Substituting washers in place of the grab rail replacement bushings (not recommended)
• Ordering a bare tank (no valves, no fittings, ... bare - as in 'naked')

One very important note:
Although every effort has been made to ensure that this tank will function as suitable auxiliary liquid container for the GenII FJR, I am an imperfect human being.
By using one of these containers you are participating in an unscientific test. You should plan on sharing your experience using this tank. Others will benefit from that knowledge. I will do what I can to be as helpful as possible, but within reason.

The price to participate in this unscientific trial is:
$869.00 plus shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
The price to participate in this unscientific trial is:$869.00 plus shipping.
Sorry,

I'm new to this. What is the point of having a group buy if it's not 1.)For a limited time 2.)At a substantial discount?

The $869 price applies if two orders are received.

If 5 orders are received, the price will be $825.00/ea. plus shipping

If 10 orders are received, the price will be $780.00/ea. plus shipping

If 15 orders are received, the price will be $740.00/ea. plus shipping

If 25 orders are received, the price will be $695.00/ea. plus shipping

(all prices are based on the standard package. It's possible to save more depending on options)

This group buy will end March 26th 2010.

Payment terms:

I will not accept payment until the tank is built (and in some cases assembled) and ready to ship.

If you would like photographic confirmation that your tank is in its shipping package, I will be happy to provide that.

The tank will be shipped when the PayPal funds are received, and I will accept personal checks (in most cases ;) ).

My PayPal info will be provided near the end of this group buy.

I'm assuming that in this aux. tank group buy the participants will actually receive an aux tank for their money? :unsure: :rolleyes:

Sorry... had to get the appropriate digs in.

You've done a stalwart job on getting this piece fabbed up, Joe. I'm not an iron butt kinda guy (much more of a candy butt) or I would surely fork over the coin for one. But I still can appreciate the effort you've made to get this right.

Kudos to you, man. :thumbsup:

Awesome friggin job there mate!

Way to set the standards bar high, and the cost bar low (relatively speaking,) for GenII Aux tanks!

Sorry for the ignorance but, what keeps the Tag Along from fitting a Gen I? Don't the racks attach the same on that front bar? I know that the back of the rack attaches differently but I thought the front was the same.

Sorry for the ignorance but, what keeps the Tag Along from fitting a Gen I? Don't the racks attach the same on that front bar? I know that the back of the rack attaches differently but I thought the front was the same.
The threaded holes in the GenI rear subframe that accept the grabrail's front two fasteners are spaced almost two inches forward, farther apart and at an angle. :dntknw:

This weekend I'll check the loose fit of this tank on two different GenI bikes, one with a stock grabrail and one with a Givi rack. I post photos in the Auxiliary Cell Design thread. <Link> I know I won't be able to attach it, but I'm curious about the fit.

I haven't forgotten the GenI owners <Link>, but I thought I would offer what I have and see how this GB goes.

Looks awesome to me and with out adding a lot of weight off the tail of the bike!!

I to am a CBA... and should be president of said group.... ( not Don Carver.. :) :lol: :huh: ..).. so I

probably don't need one, but I have a question.........

What keeps the rain from soaking everything under and/or around the tank?? fuse block or power commander ETC??

B...

Looks awesome to me and with out adding a lot of weight off the tail of the bike!!I to am a CBA... and should be president of said group.... ( not Don Carver.. :) :lol: :huh: ..).. so I

probably don't need one, but I have a question.........

What keeps the rain from soaking everything under and/or around the tank?? fuse block or power commander ETC??

B...
That question came up over in the Auxiliary Cell Design thread. <Link>

I could have sworn that question was answered, but I'm still looking for that post.

I'm going to copy this question over to that thread and answer it there, just to keep all the design topics together. <Link>

It's been a long two weeks of silence in here. This morning, I'm checking the New Posts before heading off to work and I see this has been bumped to the first page.

"[SIZE=14pt]It's alive![/SIZE]" I think to myself and rush to see what I've missed!

Last night, I thought today was the last day for this GB, but no it's next Friday. I'm surprised by the lack of interest in this. Obviously, I've failed to get across what a great deal this is. ...or the name is stupid

Under seven hundred bucks, for a complete, ready to use, safe, durable, comfortable, beautiful tank. I don't know of a tank that is easier to install, a few minutes to change from auxiliary tank to passenger seat.

I expected that people would be ordering naked tanks. That's why I listed all of the components and part numbers. I guess I should have listed off how much those parts cost. I should have listed prices of bare tanks. If we could have a few of these made, the prices are incredibly cheap.

I'm thinking many riders are still buried in winter, facing taxes, and suffering under financial stress. That, and they have all joined the Candy Butt Association and don't need an aux tank. :unsure: The tank is beautifully made, fits like a glove, I hope 'biz' picks up for you soon!

My tank arrived yesterday, the prototype tank, and she is bee-yooo-tiii-fuuulll! :yahoo:
dcarver or joe2lmaker,

I assume you guys are running this tank gravity fed (?) I think the other thread said there shouldn't be any issues doing it this way...have you had any problems? Does the tag along tank drain fully/reliably into the main? I've been watching the development of this tank, and now am interested in reading beta-test/field results on the unit. Thanks.

I'm a candy butt. I like stopping for gas, and stretching the legs, otherwise I'd love to support my local entrepreneurs.

Love the design, looks good and fits just right. But.............I already spent the farkle fund for the spring..... :cry: I will have one..... someday. :D

My tank arrived yesterday, the prototype tank, and she is bee-yooo-tiii-fuuulll! :yahoo:
dcarver or joe2lmaker,

I assume you guys are running this tank gravity fed (?) I think the other thread said there shouldn't be any issues doing it this way...have you had any problems? Does the tag along tank drain fully/reliably into the main? I've been watching the development of this tank, and now am interested in reading beta-test/field results on the unit. Thanks.
Good2Go - I received the proto tank and will be documenting on a new separate thread. Just back from picking up some goodies right now! Since it's a different topic, it should be and will be a separate post.

Hi Joe2LMaker,

So, I'm still on the fence about this uber-cool "don't really need one but would be useful to have" farkle...and if you would indulge a few questions, I'd be much appreciative....

• What price-point are we at right now for this GB?
  • How much is the Tag-along going to cost after the GB ends?
  • How's the tank working for you? I'm interested in how it performs gravity feeding from it's designed mounting height. Also how fast does it transfer? This point is my main concern. Your 12-something page design thread was very helpful, but doesn't give any concrete results that this tank is high enough to feed reliably.
  • What about the Jazz cell, how much for that setup?

Hi Joe2LMaker,So, I'm still on the fence about this uber-cool "don't really need one but would be useful to have" farkle...and if you would indulge a few questions, I'd be much appreciative....

• What price-point are we at right now for this GB?
  • How much is the Tag-along going to cost after the GB ends?
  • How's the tank working for you? I'm interested in how it performs gravity feeding from it's designed mounting height. Also how fast does it transfer? This point is my main concern. Your 12-something page design thread was very helpful, but doesn't give any concrete results that this tank is high enough to feed reliably.
  • What about the Jazz cell, how much for that setup?
My tank is of my own build but is similar in size and the mounting heigth is the same. It gravity feeds just fine and transfers all the fuel. Joes setup is very well thought out and I'm sure will function just fine. I used 5/16 hose but 1/4 will certainly transfer fuel faster than you can use it.