Dec Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
The bad press link looks like a fun ride. Anyone want to do it in Dec?

link

If I understood it correctly its Hwys 60/180/19 and they threw in 129 Blood Mtn in the report.

Anyone know the area?

The "loop" that they referred to on the Fox report is about 35 miles. However there are lots of great roads in the area to ride as well.

To answer you question, The area we are discussing is about 1 1/2 hours North of Atlanta. If you look on a map for Helen, GA the great riding is just west of there. The loop refers to Rt60 up to Suches, East on 180 and then South on 129. Other great roads in the area include SR75 and Rt348.

If you figure, ride over and meet around 10am somewhere north of ATL. Ride for awhile, eat some lunch and of course bullshit :p and tell stories, then ride for couple more hours. Then head back to B'ham you could be back for late dinner. Of course if anyones interested they can crash at my place.

Let's Roll!!

-jwilly

That loop is only 35 miles?!? It looks larger on the map.

Any pref to the weekend? I am leaning towards the 2nd, but will entertain the 9th or 16.

Or we could say the 2nd and postpone if weather is bad for the following week.

If the schedule permits (it should), I'm in. I'll catch Fence-man as he comes through and we'll blast over to Hotlanta.

The 2nd looks like it would work for me. The 9th will probably be out for me.

Look forward to riding with you guys again.

-jwilly

The bad press link looks like a fun ride. Anyone want to do it in Dec?link

If I understood it correctly its Hwys 60/180/19 and they threw in 129 Blood Mtn in the report.

Anyone know the area?
I live in Dahlonega and am quite familiar with the area. The "loop" is a great ride, but there are several other roads just as good. For example, 60 from Dahlonega through Suches to Morganton is great. One thing to keep in mind, this time of year through February and March, the roads tend to freeze overnight up here and GDOT is quite generous with the sand and gravel, especially on 180. 129 from Turners Corner up Blood Mountain is probably the "cleanest" of the 3, but it is also the most heavily patrolled. I'd definitely recommend a leisurely recon before any serious carving action.

Welcome to the forum reread! Are you new to the FJR or just the forum?

Will you be able to join us on the 2nd?

-jwilly

Welcome to the forum reread! Are you new to the FJR or just the forum?
Will you be able to join us on the 2nd?

-jwilly
Thanks! Not really new, just not very active on the board. Had an 05 since 08/04. Not sure what's happening in my world (wife and kids) that weekend, but maybe I can sneak away. Is there a definite plan setup for time and place?

No specific plans as of yet. Keep an eye on this thread in the Southeast section and I will also drop you PM when we have specifics.

Thanks

-jwilly

I have had 2 replies in my inbox that have not shown up here.

Willy, since you are the local, find us a good meet and greet.

Is 10 am (Atlanta time) a good meet -up time.

Lets say Dec 2. and we'll postpone if the weather is sour (like today, it really sucked working outside) :angry2:

Yeas or nays to this plan?

I might get in on this, but I'm not sure. Have to check the calender.

That's a good haul for you Bammin's - about 230 miles from B'ham to the nearest point on "the loop". If you're really hung on riding that particular circuit, the easy meeting place is the top of GA 400. There are some nice rides a little closer to you, but not a lot closer. Fort Mountain is good one, although its a little isolated in the sense it doesn't have a lot of great twisties around it. But there is more fairly close by. Burnt Mountain is also a good, though shortish ride. But if you string a couple of these together, it can make a nice day, especially if you have 450+ wrapped around the ends of it.

The west end of Fort Moutain is about 160 to 180 from B'ham, depending on the route you take. It connencts pretty nicely with Burnt Mountain.

If you want to see this on a map, look at a route from Chatsworth to Amicalola via GA 52, then to Jasper on GA 136. This is a really nice ride with a variety of roads from very technical twisty to milder winding road.

If I can make it that day, I'd be more than happy to lead on this loop. Its one of my favorites.

The bad press link looks like a fun ride. Anyone want to do it in Dec?

link

Anyone know the area?
I live in Dahlonega and am quite familiar with the area. The "loop" is a great ride, but there are several other roads just as good. For example, 60 from Dahlonega through Suches to Morganton is great. One thing to keep in mind, this time of year through February and March, the roads tend to freeze overnight up here and GDOT is quite generous with the sand and gravel, especially on 180. 129 from Turners Corner up Blood Mountain is probably the "cleanest" of the 3, but it is also the most heavily patrolled. I'd definitely recommend a leisurely recon before any serious carving action.
Having ridden those roads more times than I can remember over the last 18 years, I can vouch that not only is "the loop" nice, but so too the routes also mentioned. I would also throw out that the Richard Russell Parkway can be a lot of fun too (unless you get behind a sloooooow and scared sight-seerer).

LOL.....Did the Richard Russell on my H*nda NS50 during the recent 50cc Fun Run and dogged the ever-living crap out of some guy in a brand new Mustang Cobra. OK - so I was going downhill, I'm still on a 50cc bike. Anyhow, after several corners where I'm all over this guy, he pulls off, I go around him, he pulls in behind me and a few corners later he's no where in sight. I'm sure his girlfriend (wife?) was giving him hell about that little pink & teal, smoking, motorcycle leaving him in the dust. :D

Willy has had some personal stuff come up and It doesn't look like my new skins will arrive in time for me to get them on for this ride. I need the new tires before I ride as cords are starting to poke.

Any problem on changing to the 9th?

How many are going to show any way besides me, willy and Scab?