Gas Mileage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter Mike

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]I'm sure that this has been hashed over and over... but... humor me (I'm a new owner of a 2007)...[/SIZE]

I'm getting 46 - 55 ampg with my 2007 FJR1300A depending on how aggressive I ride. I have read about the LCD having problems so is this possible? I have not seen any problems so far but then I only have 800 miles on it and it's still breaking in. Can I expect better after break-in?

I came from a Venture that wasn't even close... :glare:

Your way off of my chart. I got 43.+ my last 1800 mile trip. This right after TBS and new plugs. This has been bashed around so a search will provide more info.

Gee.... I filled mine up tonight after only 166 miles of smiles (2 bars showing...); calculated as a whopping 39.2mpg...whoopeee! Heck I only hit an indicated 130 twice (briefly) on that tank plus considerable two lane rapid twisty running...hhmmm, must be the bike...not my right hand! Maybe I got a gas hoggy FJR???? LOL!!!! DFO :rolleyes:

Gee.... I filled mine up tonight after only 166 miles of smiles (2 bars showing...); calculated as a whopping 39.2mpg...whoopeee! Heck I only hit an indicated 130 twice (briefly) on that tank plus considerable two lane rapid twisty running...hhmmm, must be the bike...not my right hand! Maybe I got a gas hoggy FJR???? LOL!!!! DFO :rolleyes:
The question is....do you care?.... :rolleyes: ....

That OBC is fucked. Pay no mind to it. Do your calcs based on actual gals to fill/miles traveled since last. Not totally accurate, but scads better than HAL 9000. If we took a poll, I bet the average would be 40 MPG.

Edit: Unless all of your riding is done between 5 and 10,000 feet, then yeah, what you see is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only on my 3rd tank of gas in mine but so far the first tank averaged 39mpg and that was with a lot of high speed and holeshot like takeoff's. Second tank was 41mpg and that was still with a good ammount of playing, though not as much. I don't think this tank is going to be better though. Had an asshat in an older M3 wanting a real good view of my rear tire so I got the hell away while the getting was good. I figure in a few weeks I'll settle in and maybe see about 43-45mpg.

These numbers are by my own calculations (the 05' doesn't have none of those fancy hal9000 thingies) and is mixed city/highway. I can't wait to take a longish trip and see what it can do.

2600 mile trip-49.7 indicated. Depends on how much highway/backroads. Sweet spot on my bike seems to be 50-55 on back roads. I wouldn't care if I was getting 10mpg, this bike is fun!

During the first 4000 miles on my bike I found that the first 600 miles my mileage was the best in the high 40's. Probably due to the break in soft riding recomendations. After break in I began to ride a bit faster and saw the mileage drop to the low 40's, again speed and aggressiveness playing into the mix. Form about 2000-3000 miles I was riding in California where the mileage was at its worse (I blame the fuel) at mid 30's. On the way back from CA I was getting back to the low to mid 40's and thats where it seems to live here in CO. But as someone else mentioned, "who cares". YMMV

Last weekend I rode over to Asheville to attend the BMW RA rally. This is about 350 miles one way for me. I took a mix of slab and nice two lanes over, and the bike was loaded up for four days of camping. 46 MPG for that leg.

While there I took a spin up to the old homestead in East Tennesssee. I did about 300 miles almost exclusively on twisty mountain roads. Of course, I had unloaded all the camping gear. 47 MPG for that trip.

I have fun. No chicken strips left and the pegs drag occassionally, but I do not ride nearly as agressively as many I ride with. MPG regularly stays in the 44 to 47 range, except when commuting in the city.

YMWV

VM

That OBC is fucked. Pay no mind to it. Do your calcs based on actual gals to fill/miles traveled since last. Not totally accurate, but scads better than HAL 9000. If we took a poll, I bet the average would be 40 MPG.
Edit: Unless all of your riding is done between 5 and 10,000 feet, then yeah, what you see is possible.
Funny, when I calculated my mileage from gps miles and pump it came out exactly the same as my digital readout. Must be lucky. Also, during break in I was running 42-44mpg depending on how I rode, mostly a tad over 44. I put in a PCIII and went to 42/43 then I did a TBS and it has gone to 46 and stayed there. Went on a ride where I seldom cracked 70 and probably averaged in the low 60's and my mileage was 55mpg. Went on a ride a couple weeks before that where my GPS "moving" average was 76mph where I hit speeds in excess of 100mph on occasion, ran 50 miles of Cherohala twisties but ran 80-90 most of the time, mileage was 38-39mpg. Seems like as you get near 90 it just sucks gas. Last weekend a friend on an 07 and I (06 blue is superior) did a ride where we pretty much matched each other in every way. He gased near my house and I gased just prior to him arriving. He had 206 miles and I had 200, I think, anyway there was 6 miles difference. He went on reserve and I had two full bars showing. He filled with 4.5 gal and I did 4.1. We both have around 6K miles on our bikes and only real difference of any kind is I have a PCIII. Oh, I have 40 or 50 more pounds of extra weight above my belt buckle for stability :lol: It seems to me that this is pretty good evidence that a lot depends on how you ride but there is also a lot of difference bike to bike.

Funny, when I calculated my mileage from gps miles and pump it came out exactly the same as my digital readout. Must be lucky. Also, during break in I was running 42-44mpg depending on how I rode, mostly a tad over 44.
I can see 42 - 44 on a Gen II as typical. Gen I's seem to be at 38 - 42. I've also seen a number of II OBC's that are off the mark - maybe because of fuel level metering inaccuracy? Dunno.

I can see 42 - 44 on a Gen II as typical. Gen I's seem to be at 38 - 42. I've also seen a number of II OBC's that are off the mark - maybe because of fuel level metering inaccuracy? Dunno.

Oh come on TWN, are you trying to imply we're getting ripped off at the pump?

<Waiting for fallout, popcorn in hand>

51.4 mpg on last tank, (by mileage and actual fuel used), but then again I stayed within 5 mph of the speed limit.

I use my 05 to commute daily, 50 miles round trip. I ride year round, unless there is snow or ice on the roads

In the cold weather (15° - 40°) I get 37-38 MPG. In 41° to 75° I get 38-40 MPG and 76° to 95° I get 40 - 43 MPG.

I haven't ever had a tank get over 43 MPG. Sure would like to be one of you lucky ones tha get 50+ MPG.

Typically get 25-30mpg during my suburb commute. On the rare occasions when I bother to shift out of 3rd and make it to 5th gear, mpg goes up considerably 35-40mpg. (50+ on the highway)

Jason

07FJR

I ride very conservatively and in the rarified O2 above 7k feet and regularly get 50-52 mpg by the 'pump math' on my 03. In stop and go downtown traffic I get about 44-46.

I once got 182 miles on 2.3 gallons. That was from Leadville, CO to Montrose, CO via Carbondale and CO133. From Leadville at 10k, up over Independance Pass at 12k and pretty much all downhill from there to Montrose at like 4k. It was pretty amazing pulling into a station 180 miles down the road with 5 of 8 bars showing. LOL I let everyone else get gas, and rode all the way to Durango, coasting in to town just as I hit reserve. I think it was at like 290 on that tank.

Man.. on a good tank I only get 38 and my rear tire, no matter what brand, is shot by 3k.. What up wid dat?