• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2007 SUSPENSION GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Right, then.

The loooong delayed [SIZE=14pt]Suspension Group Buy begins now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

The Group Buy will last two weeks, from Nov 26 through Dec 10.

Our vendor is once again GPSuspension.com, located in northwest Oregon. They are about as good as it gets. Dave Hodges, owner, is nationally recognized in professional racing as a premier Suspension Tuner. We are *extremely* fortunate to have him as our vendor.

WHAT IS OFFERED:

- Complete and total overhaul/Upgrade of our 48mm Soqi forks. New, custom-made Compression and Rebound kits, new Eibach fork springs, the whole nine yards. This will TRANSFORM the front end of your FJR to a staggering degree. Riding the bike after this Upgrade is something that has to be experienced to appreciate. This is *THE* crown jewel of this Group Buy! For the do-it-yourself folks, you can obtain new Eibach fork springs at killer prices.

- New Shock absorbers from Penske and Ohlins, your choice. Note that Ohlins does not make a shock for the Gen II bikes, but the two different Penskes offered fit all model year FJRs. Shocks will be fitted with a custom spring specific to your size and riding style.

- Complete Shock overhauls, whether you have a Ohlins, Penske, Wilbers or other shock. Those of you with a Wilbers should absolutely consider letting GPSuspension "fix" your under-sprung or otherwise spent Wilbers. Overhaul includes new suspension fluid, nitrogen re-charge, new quad seals, etc. They will measure your spring rate to ensure it is in the correct range for your riding weight.
PRICES:

All pricing is found on the web site below.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS GROUP BUY:

ONLY those individuals who sign up via the Group Buy sign-up web page are authorized to participate. If your name isn't in the sign-up database, you won't be seeing these prices.

Go get 'em, kids: [SIZE=14pt]GP Suspension Group Buy Web Site[/SIZE]

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

[SIZE=14pt]IMPORTANT ADMIN NOTE:[/SIZE]

This is my first, last, and only warning I will provide regarding forum behavior during this Group Buy:

Many of you recall the Exhaust Group Buy that got canceled last winter due to asshat behavior on the part of some of the forum weasel-dicks. T'would be a shame if we had a repeat of that, don't you think? If I were a Group Buy player, I would immediately and fervently dog-pile any 'Tard who would like to ruin the party for the rest of you. You should know by now that I will absolutely, positively close the Group Buy if any such bullshit is repeated.

FURTHER -

Some of you Dickless Wonders actually heaped abuse upon our vendor during last year's Suspension Group Buy.... prices weren't low enough, you demanded things that weren't part of the GB, or otherwise gave our vendor a blast of shit. There will be none of that this time... because I will be in contact with the vendor EVERY DAY to ensure no one is behaving like a fucktard. If I find out you are one of the Weasel-Dicks, I will out you to the forum and your days of enjoying any and all future FJRForum Group Buys will be over.

These Group Buys are a privilege, not a right. Remember this when conducting business with our vendor.

There is another Group Buy in January that I am discussing with yet another vendor. If this suspension GB goes smoothly, this encourages me to continuing holding discussions for the January gig. Again, t'would be a shame if I became discouraged and stopped negotiations. Don't let this happen.... this January GB is something many of you have been asking about for quite a while.

Shweet!! I'll be signing up for this tonight! Who needs to buy people Christmas gifts anyways....

This is my first, last, and only warning I will provide regarding forum behavior during this Group Buy:
Many of you recall the Exhaust Group Buy that got canceled last winter due to asshat behavior on the part of some of the forum weasel-dicks.

I would immediately and fervently dog-pile any 'Tard who would like to ruin the party for the rest of you.

Some of you Dickless Wonders actually heaped abuse upon our vendor ... I will be in contact with the vendor EVERY DAY to ensure no one is behaving like a fucktard. If I find out you are one of the Weasel-Dicks, I will out you to the forum...
Awesome, Dale. Thanks for leading this. :thumbsup: While I'm broke and can't partake, I'm going to borrow the above language for the hippo hand group buy with Watershed I'm stringing together for this Spring/Summer.

Warchild - group buy on suspensions.

FJR Pig - group buy on "hippo" hands.

Oh, how I marvel at my lack of technical expertise sometimes...

Thanks Dale,
This was the best mod I did on my FJR. Everyone that I let ride my bike says it is the best handling FJR they ever rode.
What part did you have done. The front fork, Rear shock or both?

I did the Wilbers group buy on front springs and rear shock and it made a world of difference. I think the front forks could be better though and was wondering if you had GP do your forks.

I took advantage of this GB last year and it was the single best thing I've done for my FJR. My case was that I had a Gen I and bought a rear Wilbers shock on a GB 3 years ago, but it was severely undersprung from me underestimating and some weak springs they used. GP Suspensions resprung it with a right-sized spring, did a rebuild, and the shock is 100% better.

At the same time my nearly-stock front was getting very worn out and the throw-in Wilbers springs I had bought 3 years earlier just didn't cut the mustard....so I sprung for the Soqi upgrade & rebuild and the front then matched the rear.

At 265 pounds, a fuel cell, and other LD baggage....I still have a suspension that's sporty.

In my case it would have been $572 for the front fork upgrade and rebuild + $164 for the rear shock service + $85 for the new rear spring. Best $821 I ever spent on the bike!

This a good option folks!

Thanks Warchild for setting it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to show support for the vendors I missed the first G-buy-in and had mine done in June. Absolutely top notch people, top of the line work. When they finish you suspension you will wonder why I did not do it sooner.

I have the Penske shock that is the middle one offered and redid my front forks complete

Any chance at a repeat in say 6 months? This is the worst time of year for me financialy :angry2:

Dale,

Thanks for organizing the GB, signed up for a Fork rebuild & rear Penske shock.

Any chance at a repeat in say 6 months? This is the worst time of year for me financialy :angry2:
As Iggy correctly observes, there is pretty much no chance.

Six months from now, GP Suspension will be inundated with work getting their many pro racers set up for the racing season.

Thanks Dale. I get my bonus check (suposedly) in 4 days........I'm hoping to work both a front suspension upgrade in with a rear Penske. But I also want a custom seat for the long haul somewhere in my budget......think the 8983 is good enough for a guy who rides a fair amount of sporty backroads with a few long hauls planned, or is the full on "racing" 8987 really that much better? I'm in muddy waters as I don't know much about this stuff.

Some of you Dickless Wonders actually heaped abuse upon our vendor during last year's Suspension Group Buy.... prices weren't low enough, you demanded things that weren't part of the GB, or otherwise gave our vendor a blast of shit.
I accompanied a friend to GPSuspension to have his forks rebuilt and pick up a Penske 3 way shock. My advice is to expect this process to take a while and be patient. Everyone wants a quick turnaround once they make the commitment but that just isn't possible if Dave receives a bunch of forks/shocks at the same time. I suggest that you ask him for a specific date when he can work on your forks/shocks and then ship them to him accordingly.

I have watched the fork rebuild process twice now so if anyone has any questions on what is done and why it works so well I might be able to give at least a partial answer.

Thanks Dale,
This was the best mod I did on my FJR. Everyone that I let ride my bike says it is the best handling FJR they ever rode.
What part did you have done. The front fork, Rear shock or both?

I did the Wilbers group buy on front springs and rear shock and it made a world of difference. I think the front forks could be better though and was wondering if you had GP do your forks.
I had GP install a new spring on my Wilbers and I had the forks done.

Probably a dopey question about the forks. Are the choices . . .

Drive the bike to Oregon on some appointed day and wait excitedly while the rebuild is done?

Have a dealer pull them and ship them

Pull and ship my little lonesome

Thanks Dale. I get my bonus check (suposedly) in 4 days........think the 8983 is good enough for a guy who rides a fair amount of sporty backroads with a few long hauls planned, or is the full on "racing" 8987 really that much better?
It is my personal opinion that the 8983 is going to do you proper. This is what I would be going after myself, if I didn't have the Wilbers. The Penske 8983 kicks ass.

If you actually had track days planned, that might be another story.

Mind you, the fork overhaul/upgrade is truly the critical piece of the puzzle here. If cashflow is the sticky point, do the forks now, then endeavor to get the rear shock sorted before heavy-duty riding season kicks in next year.

Drive the bike to Oregon on some appointed day and wait excitedly while the rebuild is done?

If it were me.... :D option #1. No question.

Or.... combine Option #1 & #3: pull the forks yourself, and take the cage to Oregon, and watch the magic happen to your forks on-site.

Taking them to a dealer... no way. You can pull them. It is a piece of cake, and no real special tools are needed.

THANKS WARCHILD !!!

Yeah, I know I'm shouting, but the timing is beeeyootiful (in terms of how close to done my OEM suspension is) and, since I've been warning the wife about the need for 6 months and that the group buy will save some bucks, she has already approved.

An 8983 and a whole new front suspension valving/oil/spring is in my future.

WooHoo!

Or.... combine Option #1 & #3: pull the forks yourself, and take the cage to Oregon, and watch the magic happen to your forks on-site.
That is what I did and the experience of standing at the workbench and watching Dave or Ben rebuild your forks is priceless -- and everything gets done in a day. From a cost standpoint, I think you will find that all 3 options are about a push. If you ride your bike you have a low gas cost and a charge to take the forks off your bike -- if you take the forks off and cage it then you have the cage's gas costs -- if you ship the forks you have shipping and insurance in both directions.

Taking them to a dealer... no way. You can pull them. It is a piece of cake, and no real special tools are needed.
I concur. I'm only 200 miles from Portland, but went with the fork removal and shipped them. It really was easier than I thought it would be. Handlebars and even my adapters stayed put. It was like changing the tire, tanking off the fender, three allen heads each side, and a couple of other bolts.

A shorty 3/8" drive and some lock-to-lock maneuvering was the hardest part on disassembly and torquing several of them correctly on reassembly. Frankly, I found finding a box and enough packing peanuts was harder.

Bonus is you get to clean the nooks and crannies of your forks while they're off!

Turnaround for me was maybe 7 or 8 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.