• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2007 SUSPENSION GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
During last years GB I took my forks to a shopping center Pack n More & they bubble wrapped and package for me , then shipped !

Just curious why the others are chosing Penske over the Ohlins. The only benefit that I see is the ride height adjustment which should not be needed for a proper sprung shock??

Canadian FJR

Just curious why the others are chosing Penske over the Ohlins. The only benefit that I see is the ride height adjustment which should not be needed for a proper sprung shock??
Probably price.

4 to 1 isn't exactly statistically significant yet but check the price sheet on the referened website. Two models of Penske's including one that's more reasonable in price than the single Ohlin offering. Any of these shocks are going to be FAR superior to the stock Yamaha unit...so that some will choose the cheapest point of entry. The 8983 at $709 looks like a great price to feature value!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of these shocks are going to be FAR superior to the stock Yamaha unit...so that some will choose the cheapest point of entry. The 8983 at $709 looks like a great price to feature value!
It is definitely a great price-to-feature value!

The Penske 8983 is the shock I would be getting if I was participating in this GB (as a buyer). The Penske is well-known, well-understood, and has a proven record of success.

Hey for realz... canyou service the stock rear shock (gen 1)?? I thought not but since there is the bit about the rear shock service I thought i should confirm that.

No, the OEM rear shock is not designed to be overhauled.

When it's toast... it's toast.

Thanks War,

So does anyone have a price on a stock replacement rear shock? ...and a comparison of the upper range of expected lifespan? Maybe some (myself included) would be more easily conviced to forego the self torture and guilt for starving the kids to afford a new shock if the price is comparably not bad for a servicable rear shock versus a disposable one. Personally I find the stock rear is a little mushy on firm but not bad for a light guy such as myself. But if they only last for 25k and then have to be replaced, well then I got about 3k left :(

So does anyone have a price on a stock replacement rear shock? ...and a comparison of the upper range of expected lifespan?
As usual.....the answer to this type of question is go talk to University Motors that's so regularly spoken positively of here and/or visit a dealer with an online Yamaha parts catalog like this one. I think you'll find the price of a stock rear shock gets you mostly on the way to one of these spiffy aftermarket items AND it is rebuildable for a much cheaper price the next time.....the time after that....etc.

I found a stock shock seriously weak and started to go seriously south for me after 15K, but a properly sprung aftermarket still feels and acts decently after 25K+.

So does anyone have a price on a stock replacement rear shock? ...and a comparison of the upper range of expected lifespan?
As usual.....the answer to this type of question is go talk to University Motors that's so regularly spoken positively of here and/or visit a dealer with an online Yamaha parts catalog like this one. I think you'll find the price of a stock rear shock gets you mostly on the way to one of these spiffy aftermarket items AND it is rebuildable for a much cheaper price the next time.....the time after that....etc.

I found a stock shock seriously weak and started to go seriously south for me after 15K, but a properly sprung aftermarket still feels and acts decently after 25K+.
So a quick scan at the parts site you provided lists the stock rear shock at just over 700 bucks. So for 700 you could buy a disposable shock OR the "entry level" shock that is rebuildable. sounds like a good deal

So a quick scan at the parts site you provided lists the stock rear shock at just over 700 bucks. So for 700 you could buy a disposable shock OR the "entry level" shock that is rebuildable. sounds like a good deal
Bingo!

Although University likely sells it cheaper than $700....it still is a disposable shock for many hundred of bucks. Thanks for actually clicking on this great online resource for FJR parts. You're a man that caught his own fish today!

Canadian FJR
In reply to that Scott....height adjustment is important if you go back & forth between 2 up full gear & solo riding or solo LD with extra fuel etc. (keeps your headlight on the road & your bike better balanced)... I pulled the trigger in the last GB & did both the front & rear (I bought the Penske over the Ohlins because of the height adjustment)....Dave was great to deal with and as an FYI.... when we bought Penn's FZ6 (the one she rode to WFO 06) this year Dave did a custom built rear penske on it (height adjustable ) so we could lower the rear in concert with the front so she could touch the ground....another reason Dave & GP get a big :good: from us....

height adjustment is important if you go back & forth between 2 up full gear & solo riding or solo LD with extra fuel etc. (keeps your headlight on the road & your bike better balanced)
Actually... you are describing the importance/convenience of a remote pre-load adjustment. One jacks up the pre-load when 2-up and/or loaded down with gear to prevent the headlight from pointing to the heavens... not the ride height.

The "ride height" in this context refers to eyelet-to-eyelet distance (or eyelet-to-chassis distance). Those who desire to "quicken" their steering will increase the ride height anywhere from 3mm-6mm. On OEM shocks with no ride-height adjustment ability, we do this with a shim under the upper mount point (Blackbird does this, for example). Alternatively, some shocks (like the Wilbers and Penske) have this adjustment ability built directly into the shock.

Bingo!

Although University likely sells it cheaper than $700....it still is a disposable shock for many hundred of bucks. Thanks for actually clicking on this great online resource for FJR parts. You're a man that caught his own fish today!
Yeah thanks for the poll man! Actually i had the poll before but I am so disconected sometimes that I forget :rolleyes:

Any ballpark prices on round trip shipping on fork tubes and shocks to the east coast?

I'm guessing that could get near $100.

Any ballpark prices on round trip shipping on fork tubes and shocks to the east coast?
Sounds like you should go figure this out at UPS.com and report back. It will probably vary between $30 and $200 depending on the specific destination, mode, company, and speed of service you choose.

I'm in!

Front and rear. Can't wait! This should prove to be a huge improvement. :)

Now I don't have to do that fork fluid change this winter. :D

This is a sweet deal! Great job getting this set up!

Sadly for me, I've got to put suspension $$ into the R80/7 first. That puppy's riding on the original OEM shocks that are coming up on 30 yrs old. I've ridden in NY taxis with better damping :-0

Don't suppose I could get GP to make me a deal on a pair of Ohlins 36P BM141 shocks for the beemer?

Status
Not open for further replies.