NEP Throttle Lock photos on line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Several folks were asking about the NEP throttle lock I installed. Here is the photo gallery if you want to see it.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/nep

I like it cause you don't have to cut the grip. Some may like the Vista Cruz better, but I like the NEP cause it is cheap, simple, easy to install and works without making any major changes to the bike (except one small anchor hole).

California Sport Touring sells the NEP. Just go to their site and put NEP in the search field and it will take you to it. I used the CC3.

Your opinion/results may differ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the same NEP Throttle Lock but attached it with a Ziptie. Works great, didnt drill any holes.

I GOT THE IDEA FROM ZZKENOMAN DURING ONE OF OUR MANY BIG RIDES!

Thanks Fred. Mine would have been on tonight, but I bought the wrong one - DOH! I did put some new grips on, so at least I feel like I accomplished something.

Appreciate the photos.

Several folks were asking about the NEP throttle lock I installed. Here is the photo gallery if you want to see it.

I like it cause you don't have to cut the grip. Some may like the Vista Cruz better, but I like the NEP cause it is cheap, simple, easy to install and works without making any major changes to the bike (except one small anchor hole).

California Sport Touring sells the NEP. Just go to their site and put NEP in the search field and it will take you to it. I used the CC3.

Thanks Fred!

I used to use zip ties to put my throttle locks on, but found using some safety wire works better. Same principle, just a tighter fit because you can twist the wire and tighten things up.

Fred, you're certainly a master of picture documentation. You must have been a technical service manual writer in a former life. Thanks.

Don

I had something like this years ago on my Radian. Any problems with one of these being interfered with by the heated grip wires?

nissj said:

Fred, thanks for excellent pictures and install info.... just what I was looking for. :) :)

Ok, so I go out to the local shop and by the same model that you show above. The tab is ground off to a bare minimum. I install the throttle lock (except for the top lock piece and it is not secured to the bike) and the throttle return is slow and does not fully return to it's closed position. I see that the bottom plastic is tight against the throttle assembly.... So, I grind off a little more of the plastic bottom piece from the NEP device and see that there is now visible light between the bottom piece and the metal throttle housing. Re-install (no fasteners yet) and the throttle still binds. I'm a bit curious to hear whether or not you removed the throttle return spring as many have done.

I also tried a little white lithium grease to see if I could reduce friction and still a no go. It almost returns to neutral position, but not quite. Maybe it's time for new grips and an install that leaves a tiny bit more space (just enough to remive this binding that is occuring).

Just thinking out loud... but is it possible that something is not lining up correctly because the "fasteners" are not fastened?? Just wondered if you had tried it completly installed and secured and if you still have the prob.

Trying to decide on this one vs the Vista throttle lock and you input is appreciated.

I did not try to secure the lower portion with a screw yet because I am also considering a Vista throttle lock. As it is, if I hold the bottom edge against the mounting point for the securing screw the problem is worse. Either my grips were installed a little to proximal to the bike, or the lip on the grip has flared out a bit with the past 18 months worth of use (causing a tighter space between the grip and the housing).

If I get the vista cruise and have the same issue, than I'm going to invest in a set of decent grips and start from scratch.

Thank you Worldbound. Any chance you could do an exacto-knife type alteration of the grip to make the space bigger (effectivly moving the grip more distal)?