05 FJR got crunched! where to get body parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaBII

Reaction score
So my bike got crunched by a truck at work. Looks like it's mainly the fairing that is damaged.

Where is a good place to get new plastic for our bikes?

Thanks

James.

I've had good dealings with RonAyres too.

The problem here is that body panels are "spendy" ... in the extreme, if you choose to go OEM for new parts (if they have them).

Depending on the damage, and your personal aversion to duct tape, I'd tape up what I could, buy only what was essential, and ride it until I could pick up the parts piece by piece on eBay.

I've had good dealings with RonAyres too.

Depending on the damage, and your personal aversion to duct tape, I'd tape up what I could, buy only what was essential, and ride it until I could pick up the parts piece by piece on eBay.
James,

If there is no insurance money, while you are finding the replacement pieces, there are cheaper options: plastic welding, the right plastic glues, color panels, reflective panels, wide striping, et c. Gouges can be filled with flexible sealants, smoothed and painted. Check out the results with Plasti Dip (brushed or spray cans) and 3M Wrap Film Series 1080 sheets (in rolls). I think they call this trick "custom by crash."
greedy.gif

Check with Garauld and see what he can do for you. I've seen some pictures of repaired and resprayed luggage that you would be hard pressed to tell were not brand new off the production line.

Check with Garauld and see what he can do for you. I've seen some pictures of repaired and resprayed luggage that you would be hard pressed to tell were not brand new off the production line.
I'm unfamiliar with him, how do I get in touch?

I bagged a deer a while back. Took out the front and whole right side. I went with Partzilla. Sometimes you can find parts on Ebay as well. Don't go Chinese. The more time you take looking around, the more riding time you are missing out on.

I'm unfamiliar with him, how do I get in touch?
He is a member here ... Send a Private Message with his name in the "To" box.

I bagged a deer a while back. Took out the front and whole right side. I went with Partzilla. Sometimes you can find parts on Ebay as well. Don't go Chinese. The more time you take looking around, the more riding time you are missing out on.
I saw the chinese stuff. is it bad?

Thaks Twigg. It was shortsighted of me not to include a way to get ahold of Garauld who is listed in the members list with his email. This is a copy of a list that I obtained from him several \years ago when I was looking for the Mirror Mounts and wanted to know what other items he produced as I had seen numerous positive reviews of his services here on the forum. These prices are several years old and I'm sure have increased over the past several years.

Handguard extenders – helps keep your fingernails warmer by extending the V-strom guards. Satin black. $25 delivered.

Aux. Light Brackets, Gen I (shown) or Gen II. Easily mount Hella FF50 or similar lights to your bike. $35 delivered in either satin or Raven gloss black.
Radar Detector Mount kit – this kit attaches to the top of your clutch or brake fluid reservoir cover. No mods necessary. Just remove the two existing cover screws, place the small gasket and plate on top and reinstall the new longer screws. Velcro pads and a strap ensures your detector won’t go anywhere. $50 delivered in either satin or Raven gloss black.
Muffler Tailcones kit – these tailcones clean up the ends of your mufflers nicely. They install quickly and can be easily removed if necessary. If you performed the Trooper mod, they take a bit of the raspyness out of the exhaust note. $75 delivered if stock mufflers, $70 if Trooper-modded. Powdercoated in either satin (shown) or Raven gloss black, bright silver or engine gray.
1-8-2012
Refreshment System – I make this system in two styles; one that holds the jug in place with a quick-release clamp, and the other uses a set of 1” nylon web straps (black or silver) and a quick-release buckle. Each kit comes with the base unit, a 1/2-gal Coleman beverage jug (red or blue), a pair of hoses; one slips into the top of the jug, the other is routed up front where you can access it for drinking, and a bite valve assembly. It is easily installed onto either passenger footpeg after you remove the rubber pad – all necessary hardware is provided. I can provide it powdercoated in your choice of color: gloss or satin black, silver, engine gray - other standard colors are available. The delivered cost stateside is $100 for the clamp unit and $90 for the strap unit. I also have a similar 1-gal system available for $15 more.
6-6-2012

I have found the OEM yamaha parts from Part Shark to be the cheapest every time I shop. Great service too - ships usually the same day.
www.partshark.com
I know this is a long shot, since panels can span multiple model years, but do the OEM body panels come painted by chance? If not, how much luck have you, or others, had at matching colors?

My right upper fairing cracked at the rear most screw hole. I've repaired it with plastic cement, with an overlay of an appropriate epoxy for additional strength, but the joints look terrible, and I've thought about sanding it and having it repainted or, possibly buying a new piece if it comes painted.

edited for grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
They come painted. The new piece is $131 plus shipping from Boats.net ... you decide :)