06 FJR won't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyfool

Reaction score
Got my broken glove box replaced under warranty at the dealer yesterday. Took a really long way home (200+miles, 500 for the day) and parked it in the garage. Got up this morning to go to work and it won't start. Key works, all guages move, fuel system winds up, etc. The starter turns like it is turning the motor, but won't catch or even start to catch.

Did some searching here and found out about diAG codes, etc, and even tried the WOT start suggestion. I don't have a service manual, so I don't know what all the codes mean, but the ones listed in another thread were all 00.

Here is what my codes were:

1 = 16 TPS

3 = 99

5 = 64

6 = 63

7 = 0

8 = .6

9 = 11.6 Fuel pump turned on

20 = on

21 = on

30 through 39 = 00 and the fuel pump turned on

48 through 61 = 00

62 = 0 fuel pump turned on

70 = 0

Any ideas or other helpful insights?

Anyone? Bueller?

I've spent the better part of the day and I can't figure it out.

It has fuel, it has no spark.

Check the fuses , since the dealer was screwing around in that very area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my broken glove box replaced under warranty at the dealer yesterday. Took a really long way home (200+miles, 500 for the day) and parked it in the garage. Got up this morning to go to work and it won't start. Key works, all guages move, fuel system winds up, etc. The starter turns like it is turning the motor, but won't catch or even start to catch.
Did some searching here and found out about diAG codes, etc, and even tried the WOT start suggestion. I don't have a service manual, so I don't know what all the codes mean, but the ones listed in another thread were all 00.

1 = 16 TPS

3 = 99

5 = 64

6 = 63

7 = 0

8 = .6

20 = on

21 = on

48 through 61 = 00

70 = 0

The fact that the starter motor you say is turning makes me think that (if this has a solenoid engagement mechanism like most cars) that isn't working.

CDR said:

1 = 16 TPS

3 = 99

5 = 64

6 = 63

7 = 0

8 = .6

20 = on

21 = on

48 through 61 = 00

70 = 0

The fact that the starter motor you say is turning makes me think that (if this has a solenoid engagement mechanism like most cars) that isn't working.
Thought I'd check my codes for you, and even though I also do not have the manual, so other d01 I have no idea what they refer to ...

mine were all the same except the following.

2 = 95

3 = 93

4 = 91

Solved it....for now.

All fuses were intact.

Starter is fully engaging. I tested this by putting the bike in 1st gear on the center stand and the clutch lever switch is bypassed, and the rear wheel turns with the starter.

I unplugged the ECM and left it for 3 hours, came back, plugged it back in, and it started.

I have no idea what the problem is/was. But it works now.....

I unplugged the ECM and left it for 3 hours, came back, plugged it back in, and it started.
Perhaps the dealer had that unplugged for some reason and didn't put the plug back in securely.

Glad you got it figured out.

I have a buddy with a Bmer that died from time to time. The ECM plug wasn't snapped in place securely. The dealer couldn't figure it out. We were out for a ride one day the bike completely died on us. We did some simple poking around on the side of the road and found the German engineered main ECM latch not fully in it's seated position. Once we snapped the fastner, the bike started right up and has never died again.