'08 News

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeeze, Howie! Catch your short hairs in your zipper this morning or sumpin'? :dntknw:

:p
Nah...just unrealistically disappointed. Disappointed because the changes aren't changes. Unrealistic, because it's just too damned early in the GenII life span to have expected any more than token tweaks.

I mean, it must have been downright embarrassing for some marketing jackass to have written "new grips" under the heading "Key Features". Obviously the list of "improvements" is so short already, they had to put new rubber on the bars just to keep the "key features" paragraph from being pitifully short.

New clutch design? Yeah...one where the plates don't stick together and have to be sanded and oiled so the bike is driveable. :)

Betcha one thing though....half the '08s will still wobble. WOOT!

Personally, I like what I see of the "raven" color thus far. Though with many things "paint", up close and personal viewing always clears the air. I love black paint on anything with wheels. That being said, I have two black cars and if I could have held out till now, I would pick up a black FJR. As it is, I'll be happy to get back on my Blue Flame Bar-B-Q as soon as it's all fixed up.

I'm not dissapointed in the 08', I really didn't expect much change this being only the 3rd year of GenII. 09' or 10' should bring the major changes. Maybe MamaYamaha is waiting to see how the connie holds up with it's technology in order to come out with some it's own versions?

I'm going to go out on a limb here. Since ravens are black and the picture of the '08 FJR is black...I'd say, black. :p :D
Hasn't the R1 been available in Raven? Has anybody seen one? I thought they were black, but I haven't cared enough to notice.

Wasn't there one at WFO?

Regardless, it's a cool but very impractical color unless your FJR is a garage queen or you live someplace where it never rains.
Actually, I do, it's called San Diego :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>Hasn't the R1 been available in Raven? Has anybody seen one?
?? There was a Raven R6 -- saw in the dealer's showroom early in the year. I must've walked around it at least a half-dozen times -- everything about it looked good to me, even the color. And, yes, it's black (or, a flavor of black).

From the Yamaha Canadian site:

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/produc...=M|&LANG=en

Revised throttle pulley shape for improved drivability -- smoother throttle action and improved throttle feeling.

Middle gear damper spring load is increased for improved feeling at clutch engagement and better shifting feeling overall.

Revised 3rd and 4th pinion gears feature an additional engagement dog for improved shifting feeling.

Revised engine ECU settings for improved drivability.

All new ABS system for 2008. The ABS system now features a linear controlled 3 position system (was previously a 2 position system), an ECU integrated compact hydraulic unit, and a new active type wheel sensor with a new magnetic rotor. The benefit is a reduced weight and better lever feedback feeling when the system is operating.

The front and rear wheel rims have been revised to accommodate the new ABS wheel sensors.

For 2008 the windshield has been revised. A new hard coating helps to prevent scratching. The internal screen holder or base has been revised from a 2 piece to a 1 piece design to reduce weight. The external cover for the activation arms is changed to rubber to reduce noise. The internal mounting system has been revised to reduce the vibration of the windshield at speed.

The instrumentation meter cover has been revised from a silver finish to a black metallic finish to reduce glare on the windshield.

All new more comfortable hand grips.

-------------------------------------------

Additionally for the AE model:

Revised clutch boss shape and increased oil supply to the clutch for improved feeling at the engagement point.

Revised hand shift lever shape.

New lighter ECU module for the electric shift system.

-----------------

They'll keep on tinkering with the throttle pulley until they get it just right I guess. Same goes for the ECU fueling software.

On the site it says Granite Grey, it looks boring to me. I will keep my Cobalt Blue 06.
I think the Granite Grey is the color on the 08 AE. Seems like the color "Raven" has a grey/black color with some metalflake intermixed. Also noticed the ECU "changes" for the 08 for better driveability. Does that mean you can ride your bike now with no major surging? Let's get down to the real meat and potatoes of these "changes" with the ECU instead of some vague resemblance of some type of change that may have occured. Can we please clarify? Anyone? PM. <>< :blink:

I'm having a vision....it's coming to me....here it is....

.oO a TIDAL WAVE of pissed off 06 and 07 owners flooding the service counter demanding their ECU's be exchanged for the 08 model...

Well, on the UK site its showing 3 colours of Silver Tech, Midnight Black and Graphite.
Silver Tech

2008-FJR1300AS-colour-silver_prv_tcm26-210265.jpg

Midnight Black

2008-FJR1300AS-colour-black_prv_tcm26-210243.jpg
Dang if they didn't steal the racing stripes from Premier, a SW-FOG sponsor click here and scroll down a bit

Kindofblue, all the Gen II's, 06 and 07 had the fun stripes from Yamaha except the USA and nothing has changed there either for 08. I do like the Bridgestone 21's on the new bike though, just like the new Connie. PM. <>< :D

Whew! For awhile there I was a bit worried I should have held out for an '08, but it looks like my '07 will suit me just fine. I don't need the new grips. Don't care about the new stratch-less windshield. Have no problem with my ECU. Don't see any difference in the '08 seat. And I don't want a black or gray bike.

But those '08 rolling bearings on the shifter shaft might be worth looking into a retrofit! Well... so much for the '08's! '09's?

What kind of timing. I got the call this morning telling me that my '06 is totalled. Anyone happen to run across any pricing from our favorite vendors?

Ok, now that I have seen the 08 stuff what kind of deal do you think the dealerships will make to move the 07's. I think if an 07 could be had for a good deal I would rather go that way and spend the savings on farkles? Any dealers out there wanna get rid of an 07 for a good price? I'm in the market now...

YA HOOOO !!!!!

Means they won't be called generation III'S !!!! My '07 should still be worth something for at least another year! I really do like the black. But I have grown to really like the black cherry better.

WW

Ok, now that I have seen the 08 stuff what kind of deal do you think the dealerships will make to move the 07's. I think if an 07 could be had for a good deal I would rather go that way and spend the savings on farkles? Any dealers out there wanna get rid of an 07 for a good price? I'm in the market now...

You may find that a late production 07 has the new ecu and throttle control etc. I don't think that they start this stuff on a single day.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with Yamaha's latest FJR. The color is cool, but I had hoped that the engineers at Yamaha would have come up with something more exciting than improved grips, scratch resistant wind screen and new ABS system. Apparently Yamaha doesn't see the Concours 14 as a potential threat to their market share in the sport touing bike segment. A factory installed cruise control system is long overdue on the FJR and would have one-upped the Concours 14.