08 Trip reset and miles to km?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worney

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just bought an 08 used with 8000 miles on the clock and imported it to Canada. I have been trying to reset the trip meter (selecting each one then holding the reset button while the trip is flashing) but nothing. :huh: I can reset the MPG and change from mpg to avg mpg to temp so I am assuming that the button is making contact but nothing seems to be working... I was also wondering if anyone knows if it possible to switch the 08's odometer from miles to km as you can on the 05's. I do have a YES on the bike till 2012 so if it is major I can head across the border but I would obviously prefer to try and fix it myself if it is simple.

Thanks in advance for all the collective wisdom.

Worney

Well being yer from Kanida an all.... I think yer pretty much screwed unless bearly chimes in... :lol: Gawd I kell me! :lol:

Hey odot.. Ya got any ideas?

:jester:

Hi Folks,
Just bought an 08 used with 8000 miles on the clock and imported it to Canada. I have been trying to reset the trip meter (selecting each one then holding the reset button while the trip is flashing) but nothing. :huh: I can reset the MPG and change from mpg to avg mpg to temp so I am assuming that the button is making contact but nothing seems to be working... I was also wondering if anyone knows if it possible to switch the 08's odometer from miles to km as you can on the 05's. I do have a YES on the bike till 2012 so if it is major I can head across the border but I would obviously prefer to try and fix it myself if it is simple.

Thanks in advance for all the collective wisdom.

Worney
The button on the right isn't the reset button. While the trip odo you want to reset is flashing,push and hold the left button for a second. You can access the owner's manual on the Yamaha website if you sign up for My Yamaha,if you didn't get at paper copy. Can't recall about the miles/km deal.

Mike

The Gen II can not be switched between miles and kilometers, you are stuck with what ever units of measure it was born with. The Gen I could be switched between units.

Be aware that officially, your bike no longer has any warranty. Warranties are not valid for machines registered outside of the country in which they were purchased.

Having said that, if you don't tell Yamaha, any dealer you may come across might not report the fact that you have a Canadian plate if and when you need service.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
America enjoys migrating our vehicles over to the northern and southern borders. It's our silent way of attempting to get other countries to try out our "smiles with miles" program. We'll get y'all converted sooner or later.

Be aware that officially, your bike no longer has any warranty. Warranties are not valid for machines registered outside of the country in which they were purchased.
Having said that, if you don't tell Yamaha, any dealer you may come across might not report the fact that you have a Canadian plate if and when you need service.

Keep your fingers crossed.
I didn't even know that it had a YES until I contected Yamaha USA about a recall clearance letter. The person I spoke with and the warantee dept rep both told me to keep the warantee b/c I could use it BUT only with US dealers. I only live 1 1/2 hours from the Montana border so I figure that if I need anything done I can get it to one of the dealers down there. I hope that you are quoting Yamaha Canada policy... But if not I really cannot be too upset since I was going to buy it anyway. :)

worney

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I am not too upset about the miles thing, it just makes it easier to judge how far to my next destination/ turn. As for the smiles and miles... Who in their right mind would ever give up a base 10 system for the whole inches, feet, yards, miles..... :blink:

worney