2 color schemes it seems for 2009 AE's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

networkguy

Reaction score
So this started innocently enough. I had to get my right mirror repainted, and sent it to garauld. I got an interesting email back from him explaining that it appears my mirror had been repainted, from a 2006 color of cobalt blue. He sent a pic of the top layer of paint removed, and sure enough-blue underneath.

:unsure:

WTF? OK, there's possible explainations. I bought the bike new in Nov last year, rolled off the lot with 1 mile on it. Maybe while in Yamaha's hands something happened to the mirror and they grabbed a 2006 and repainted. Or something happened in transit or at the dealer, and, again, they grabbed a 2006 mirror and repainted it. OK, fine. No biggie. Then he contacted me again and explained the color on this mirror doesnt appear to be OEM. Uh..what?

:blink:

He explained the colors he had from Colorrite were the three they list for the 2009 (https://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=3452262&CFTOKEN=15591709) and the color on my mirror isnt any of these. I advised him to paint it color 5180 as it *should* be.

So I get the mirror back, and sure enough, it doesnt match my bike. The OEM color is CLEARLY a dark metallic grey color, where mine is a dark metallic copper/brown hue. Hmm. So I start investigating.

I couldnt find ANYTHING to indicate the 2009 AE came in two color schemes. So Im thinking, why is my bike NOT OEM color? I pay for a carfax. Check. I verify my VIN. Check. So, I print out the pic garauld sent me of the blue paint, take both mirrors, and head to the dealer. I start explaining the situation, and theyre baffled. They looked up the history of the bike that they could find, and everything appears to be on the up and up. They really dont have an answer. So they take my number and said they will call Yamaha on Monday to see of they have an explaination.

Meanwhile, I emailed 5 or 6 fjrforum members with 2009 AE's and asked if their paint was a grey metallic or a brownish/copper hue. Ive gotten 3 responses...2 said definitely dark grey, one said definitely a dark metallic brownish/copper hue.

So. Now what? My issue is...why the hell isnt my bike (or the other fjrforum member with seemingly the same color) painted what *should* be OEM? And if it *IS* OEM, WTF is the paint code? I've spent 2 days Googling and reading, and no where can find the AE came in two color schemes. All the manager of the dealership could find is the same dark grey color for OEM paint that Colorrite shows. Until I got the reply from another fjrforum member that his paint is a dark brownish color like mine, my conspiracy theory mind has been racing all day. But now...I dont know what to think.

What say you, brothers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I say pick a color you like and have him paint the mirror with it. When you get it back, ride up to Binghampton NY and have him paint the rest to go with the mirror! :)

The guys who said their color matched yours . . . . Where were they from?

Different markets get different colors, even though that market may only have one color for a year or two. There was a sandy gold color on a gen-I sometime back that I would actually like to have.

Euro and Au spec bikes have different colors available. Might be one of these?
Exactly my thought when I read the title of this thread.

If he does happen to have a Euro color, let's hope he doesn't have the French detuned engine. :eek:

Could the blue be a primer?

There might be a simiple answer. Yamaha isn't very good at mixing paint?

I had a Yamaha Majesty (silver). I got it new, put a few scratches on it, but when I went to get it repaired the stock paint codes didn't match. Mine was a very light silver while the stock was darker, almost bronze. Compared it to another and yes mine didn't match it. In the end they could try to match it but felt they would need to paint the whole thing. I decided the scratches weren't that bad.

The shop explained to me that they had seen it before on lower production vechicles. The paint being used changed over the months the vehicale were manufactured due to small batches with poor care taken to the mixing.

This is very odd. And pictures are worth a 1000 words................

Can you post pics of your various anomalies? And especially helpful would be pics of this supposed 09 'dark brownish color'.

The guys who said their color matched yours . . . . Where were they from?

Different markets get different colors, even though that market may only have one color for a year or two. There was a sandy gold color on a gen-I sometime back that I would actually like to have.
The one person who replied with the same color is in MA. Im in AZ.

Euro and Au spec bikes have different colors available. Might be one of these?
But my VIN is a US VIN...

Could the blue be a primer?

There might be a simiple answer. Yamaha isn't very good at mixing paint?

I had a Yamaha Majesty (silver). I got it new, put a few scratches on it, but when I went to get it repaired the stock paint codes didn't match. Mine was a very light silver while the stock was darker, almost bronze. Compared it to another and yes mine didn't match it. In the end they could try to match it but felt they would need to paint the whole thing. I decided the scratches weren't that bad.

The shop explained to me that they had seen it before on lower production vechicles. The paint being used changed over the months the vehicale were manufactured due to small batches with poor care taken to the mixing.
Well, perhaps. but Im sure Gary would know the difference between blue primer and Cobal Blue paint, no? And the difference is more than a mix up I think. The OEM is CLEARLY a dark grey color. Black and silver based. Mine is CLEARLY brown or copper based. Different part of the color wheel.

This is very odd. And pictures are worth a 1000 words................
This isn't related to the head-scratching and school girl gossiping exercise we went through some months ago on the whole metallic titanium/liquid silver AE thing? I hope not.
Well, no its not. That thread is discussing the various shades of grey. No mention of a metallic brown/copper scheme in that thread.

I'll try and get pics for comparison. Meanwhile, the parts mgr at the dealership is going to contact Yamaha on Monday or tuesday and try and get an answer. He and the general manager were stumped as well.

Your VIN could be US, but maybe someone did a plastic swap somewhere along the way - or they shod your bike with a European set of plastics at the factory.

Photos of the bike would help.

Your VIN could be US, but maybe someone did a plastic swap somewhere along the way - or they shod your bike with a European set of plastics at the factory.

Photos of the bike would help.
Perhaps, but the plastic swap would require also a repaint of the tank and fenders too to match...

Here's a couple of pics-

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

Perhaps, but the plastic swap would require also a repaint of the tank and fenders too to match...
Here's a couple of pics-
Well, if the factory installed european plastics, then they would also have put on a matching tank as well.
And thats the catch. WTF is the paint code? What if I needed a panel replaced? Or a fender? Like I said, even the dealship was like WTF color is this?

Well, it sure LOOKS a lot like the Euro AE color . . . https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/factsheets/GB/2010/2010-Yamaha-FJR1300AS-factsheet-GB-EN.pdf

As to paint codes, I suppose you could look up those onthe web if it is indeed a European color - and/or you could order in Euro part numbers if you need to buy a panel - but that's something you only need to deal with if and when something goes wrong. I like that color. If it only had a manual clutch . . .

Well, it sure LOOKS a lot like the Euro AE color . . . https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/factsheets/GB/2010/2010-Yamaha-FJR1300AS-factsheet-GB-EN.pdf

As to paint codes, I suppose you could look up those onthe web if it is indeed a European color - and/or you could order in Euro part numbers if you need to buy a panel - but that's something you only need to deal with if and when something goes wrong. I like that color. If it only had a manual clutch . . .
That page shows the colors as Midnight Black, Sunset Silver, and Smokey Grey.

Gary - I understand what you mean about not finding paint codes; however, even the dealership refers to Colorrite for OEM matches when they have stuff to paint. FWIW.

I just took a few more pics for reference including the grey mirror-

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

This is all very odd. I'll be interested to see this all works out. Which dealer did you buy it from?