2 color schemes it seems for 2009 AE's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps, but the plastic swap would require also a repaint of the tank and fenders too to match...
How many AE owners recognize this paint scheme? Is this the correct color for the '09 AE model year?

I have pictures from a dealer's floor in Concord, NH where they did an entire body panel & tank swap on a pair of FJRs. Sounds like your FJR may have had an adventure in its past. How many miles when purchased? Did your dealer buy the bike directly from Yamaha or was it purchased from another dealer or an auction?

Many professional auto body shops have a paint color reader that can scan a paint then spit out the formula for the color, right down to the amount, size, color and reflectivity of metal-flake in the paint.

Edit to add a picture from the Top Gun website of a 2009 AE:

2008-yamaha-fjr1300-3w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Which RideNow? There are several. All crooks imho, but that shouldn't make a difference one way or the other with your problem.

Another option is to personally call Yamaha customer service and see what they can figure out.

Perhaps, but the plastic swap would require also a repaint of the tank and fenders too to match...
How many AE owners recognize this paint scheme? Is this the correct color for the '09 AE model year?
As I said in my first post, I PM'd every 2009 AE owner I could find on the board (5 or 6)...3 PM'd and said their bike is definately dark grey, one said his is definately brownish like mine.

I have pictures from a dealer's floor in Concord, NH where they did an entire body panel & tank swap on a pair of FJRs. Sounds like your FJR may have had an adventure in its past. How many miles when purchased? Did your dealer buy the bike directly from Yamaha or was it purchased from another dealer or an auction?
It had 1 mile on it. After looking through the RO's for the bike, the parts mgr and the general mgr believe they got the bike directly from Yamaha, thus, as I mentioned, they will be calling Yamaha on Monday or Tuesday. This dealer said they dont buy new bikes from auctions (yes I asked).

Many professional auto body shops have a paint color reader that can scan a paint then spit out the formula for the color, right down to the amount, size, color and reflectivity of metal-flake in the paint.
Yes, Im aware of this. Thanks for the reminder though :)

Which RideNow? There are several. All crooks imho, but that shouldn't make a difference one way or the other with your problem.

Another option is to personally call Yamaha customer service and see what they can figure out.
The Phoenix location on Cave Creek. Ive previously done business several times at the location in Glendale/Peoria from both their old Bell Rd location (used to be Metro Motorsports) and their new location off Thunderbird. Ive never thought of them as crooks...theyve done right by me *shrug*

Ahhh, to ride to the beat of a Different Drummer. Enjoy riding your Different Drummer.

Yamaha's web site only shows one color for the US model '09 AE, as a representative part, the front fender, Yamaha say: 3P6-21511-00-P9 FENDER, FRONT Use for Color DARK GRAY METALLIC A (DNMA / 0821)

Edit to add: Searching on this color code lead to many interesting articles. Here is what Color Rite says: CLICK

Ahhh, to ride to the beat of a Different Drummer. Enjoy riding your Different Drummer.

Yamaha's web site only shows one color for the US model '09 AE, as a representative part, the front fender, Yamaha say: 3P6-21511-00-P9 FENDER, FRONT Use for Color DARK GRAY METALLIC A (DNMA / 0821)

Edit to add: Searching on this color code lead to many interesting articles. Here is what Color Rite says: CLICK
Right. Thats the same SKU (5180) that I posted in my OP, the color that I told Gary to paint my mirror (which is NOT the color of my bike), and the same color the dealership said *should* be the OEM color for the year.

I am so glad I have black! ;)

You can't screw that color up to much.

Good luck, It sure will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Dave

I was one of those contacted by Networkguy.... Yes, Mine is DARK GREY...

Best Idea I heard is go to your local Auto body shop and have them shoot it to get the color..

I had the trunk I got for the Tour Deluxe painted this way and it was a perfect match

I can't wait to see how this turns out...BUT, if not for the hassle, I really like that metallic brown color. That's frigging pretty.

Weren't the plastics from the '06 or '07 AE that color or something similar? I remember a guy that used to be on this forum had an '07A he bought in El Paso. The dealer let him switch all the plastics off an '07AE they had on the floor at the time, so his "A" looked like an "AE" and someone's "AE" looks like an "A". Just a thought...It's really not all that much work to completely change the color of an FJR if you have another one next to it.

I can't wait to see how this turns out...BUT, if not for the hassle, I really like that metallic brown color. That's frigging pretty.

Weren't the plastics from the '06 or '07 AE that color or something similar? I remember a guy that used to be on this forum had an '07A he bought in El Paso. The dealer let him switch all the plastics off an '07AE they had on the floor at the time, so his "A" looked like an "AE" and someone's "AE" looks like an "A". Just a thought...It's really not all that much work to completely change the color of an FJR if you have another one next to it.
Yes, I think its pretty also. And if fastpappy is correct, thats three out of 5 responses to my PM's confirmed that are this color, and two that are dark grey (the color on Colorrite's site). So it's looking like there ARE two color schemes for the '09 AE.

Recognizing Gary's earlier comment about not being able to get Yamaha to give color codes, the problem is, AFAIK, dealers and most people use Colorrite as their OEM "go to" place for color. Why dont they have the two colors listed on their site? Why isnt there SOMEWHERE that says there are two color schemes? Just doesnt make sense. When Googling "2009 FJRAE color" and other similar terms, ONE color always comes up on every site Ive been able to find. The "Metallic Titanium", which is SKU 5180 from Colorrite. Which is NOT the color of my, or two others so far, FJR.

My dealer is supposed to be calling Yamaha today or tomorrow, and theyre as perplexed as I am so we'll wait and see what Yammy Mammy tells them.

edit: the 06 A was blue, the AE was silver, the 07 A was cherry, and the AE was also silver. Not the 2010 silver, but a slightly darker. But no where near as dark as the 09.

edit: the 06 A was blue, the AE was silver, the 07 A was cherry, and the AE was also silver. Not the 2010 silver, but a slightly darker. But no where near as dark as the 09.
Yes, the 06 & 07 AE were "Cerulean Silver"..same as the '04 A. The 2010 A is listed as "Liquid Silver"...same as 2011 A...and same as the 2003 (no ABS or AE's back then). And the 2009 and 2008 AE are both "Metcallic Titanium" with parts as liquid silver. There seem to be three variations on silver over the years for FJR in North America....unless we can find some other definitive source that says otherwise.

Why dont they have the two colors listed on their site? Why isnt there SOMEWHERE that says there are two color schemes? Just doesnt make sense. When Googling "2009 FJRAE color" and other similar terms, ONE color always comes up on every site Ive been able to find. The "Metallic Titanium", which is SKU 5180 from Colorrite. Which is NOT the color of my, or two others so far, FJR.
Dunno.

But I can assure you I've been making special note of their websites annually since clear back in 2004 and keeping track of what they publish in the FJR Model Comparison Matrix. If you find definitive information resolving this riddle...I'd certainly like to keep the spreadsheet updated. Already since the bike came the information we can glean off websites is either gone or increasingly ard to find. I think as an FJR community the information I've saved will be helpful one day when the bike slips into "classic" status. ;)

Yamaha received a batch of improperly blended paint and figured nobody would notice if they used it? It isn't a mistake, it is a feature...

That's right...They were the dark silver. I remember that the '07AE was a really nice color too. I think that brown rules though. I had a 2008 Chevy Impala about that color. I think it was listed as Mocha Brown.

Well, at a dead end with no firm explaination.

The dealership parts manager spent about an hour talking with the Yamaha rep, and he didnt have an answer. Did some research, and talked to him again end of day and said there's no record of the bike having any kind of crate damage or repaint at any time. Bike was shipped directly from Yamaha to the dealership.

After alot of guessing, the best explaination the rep had was...a batch of AE's got an odd paint batch. Or, offered maybe it was painted the '08 color, which also lists as grey, but a different shade (I dont buy this one). The Yamaha rep the color on Colorrite's page *should* be the AE color BTW. He also had no explaination of the blue underneath, other than maybe its blue primer. My thought? I think Gary knows the difference between primer and paint.

What I think happened at this point? An oddball paint mix on production. From what other '09 AE owners have said, it's obvious there are two batches of colors - the dark metallic grey and the dark metallic brown. It doesnt seem to be limited by region, as, for example, Im in Phx and another metallic brown owner is in the north east. So what *is* this metallic brown color? Who the hell knows. I think it will need to be analyzed by an auto body shop to get a match.

So, thats it I guess. Unless *I* try to go through Yamaha from another angle, not sure what else I can do.