2 color schemes it seems for 2009 AE's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be cruel and bring your FJR into a Yamaha dealer and ask them to do some touch-up painting and see how they fare. Oh, wait, they would farm it out to an auto body shop instead of involving Yamaha. Just like you will end up having to do. If the shop gets a good color match you need to get the color match sheet from the shop.

As I mentioned earlier and which agrees with you, Yamaha got a batch of incorrect color yet not rejectable paint resulting in some number of oddities. Rare = Valuable. Rare = Expensive to fix.

I think that the blue paint underneath is more suspicious than the odd shade on the surface.

Could it be that you have (at least some of) the body work from an '06, that was repainted for your year?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the blue paint underneath is more suspicious than the odd shade on the surface.

Could it be that you have (at least some of) the body work from an '06, that was repainted for your year?
And possibly, that could have happened at the factory if there was a delay in shipments of new 09 bodywork? So some dealers received 09 bikes with leftover, repainted 06 plastic?

And possibly, that could have happened at the factory if there was a delay in shipments of new 09 bodywork? So some dealers received 09 bikes with leftover, repainted 06 plastic?
Yeah, I can see that. Except that the OP has an '09 AE!! So maybe it was just the mirror. They may have been running low on mirrors and found a box full of leftovers from the '06 run? Weird stuff...

I think we should scratch through his tank to see if it has blue under it...

:p

Yamaha received a batch of improperly blended paint and figured nobody would notice if they used it? It isn't a mistake, it is a feature...

Yeah, there you go..if you end up selling her, you can claim it was a "Limited Edition" and ask for a few more bucks....

KM

I have the brown metallic color just ordered paint from colorite i guess its not going to match,my kickstand rolled out on me and the bike fell,i took off some material on the stop so the kickstand sits about 2 inches foward now it cant roll foward,post the color you wind up with that matches so we can repair the scraches

I have the brown metallic color just ordered paint from colorite i guess its not going to match,my kickstand rolled out on me and the bike fell,i took off some material on the stop so the kickstand sits about 2 inches foward now it cant roll foward,post the color you wind up with that matches so we can repair the scraches
The 5180 colorrite sku is what you ordered? As far as paint code, I dont have one. The dealer couldnt get one from Yamaha. I only needed to repaint my mirror, and in the meantime have decided to switch to FZ1 mirrors, sooooooo the point is moot. For now.

The factory color for the 2008 AE is called "Granite Grey". When I ordered my top case from Yamaha, they told me it can take a while because they only paint the case after it is ordered. When my case arrived it matched perfectly. I can't believe anything they do is accidental, i.e. bad batch of paint etc. Someone at the factory knows what happened. US Yamaha may not know, but I'll bet the factorys does.

The factory color for the 2008 AE is called "Granite Grey".
Where's your documentation of that? Never heard of that color in any of the literature. The only color I've seen anywhere on a Yamaha website or source for '08 AE is "metallic titanium/liquid silver"

The Yamaha US site parts lists state the only color for the '08 AE is 'Dark Grayish Metallic G' - and the letter code is DNMG.

Means nothing, of course once the marketing dweebs start getting fanciful with their descriptions.

Networkguy have you pm'ed the other owners of the brown hued bikes and compared vins? If the vins are close numerically you can "prove" that Yamaha had a mis-mixed batch of paint. Not that this will really make a difference in the scheme of things but it will give you piece of mind that the bike wasn't damaged and repainted before reaching your dealer.

If the vins are close numerically you can "prove" that Yamaha had a mis-mixed batch of paint.
Not necessarily. We've found VINs are not sequential and appear to be randomized in some fashion in ranges...perhaps to mask the number produced as a competitive advantage....hence our not knowing actual production numbers for various years.

The factory color for the 2008 AE is called "Granite Grey".
Where's your documentation of that? Never heard of that color in any of the literature. The only color I've seen anywhere on a Yamaha website or source for '08 AE is "metallic titanium/liquid silver"
Look at the top case listing on the Yamaha web site for an '08 AE.

Link to 08 AE top case
That's interesting, but doesn't actually refer to the AE motorcycle itself--only an accessory. Any documentation itself that the AE is anything but metallic titanium/liquid silver?

That's interesting, but doesn't actually refer to the AE motorcycle itself--only an accessory. Any documentation itself that the AE is anything but metallic titanium/liquid silver?
Way back when I remember the term 'Granite Gray' being used for the color. Currently, Yamaha's own parts diagram calls it "Dark Grayish Metallic G".

Edit: Here's one magazine review where they call it Granite Gray: Clicky.

Way back when I remember the term 'Granite Gray' being used for the color. Currently, Yamaha's own parts diagram calls it "Dark Grayish Metallic G".

Edit: Here's one magazine review where they call it Granite Gray: Clicky.
I'm gonna modify the matrix with a whopping big asterisk now. Thanks for the additional info....maybe they should have also called it "Old Smurf Taint Gray"

Yep. Yamaha initially called the 2008 AE color 'Granite Gray' as reported here on the forum when the info was first released - Clicky for 2008 release info. Looks like they called the same color 'Graphite' in Europe. A few pages into the thread, a post by Constant Mesh nicely chronicles all the changes made in 08 by quoting stuff from the Canadian Yammie website.

As hopefully my last follow-up on this, I mistakenly thought 08 and 09 AE colors were the same. But apparently, the '09 AE color is 'Dark Charcoal', or as the parts diagram calls it, 'Dark Grey Metallic A'.

As hopefully my last follow-up on this, I mistakenly thought 08 and 09 AE colors were the same. But apparently, the '09 AE color is 'Dark Charcoal', or as the parts diagram calls it, 'Dark Grey Metallic A'.
Thanks....6 point font to make notes in the matrix always makes things look so much better. ;)