2006 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The added weight may be partially due to the side cases no longer being accessories. I believe the weights shown in the U.S. owner's manual, etc. don't include the side cases. From the 2006 photo it appears that the lower support for the side cases is now an aluminum bracket welded to the exhaust support -- not an accessory bolt-on bracket.

Also, the above referenced magazine article states that the wheelbase has been increased to 61 inches. That's an increase of 1.4 inches over the previous 59.6 inches.

A new engine air intake and fuel injection system may be quite significant.

The square-tube frame components you can see just below the seat now have a welded junction just above where the exhaust support takes off. On my FJR this frame tube is bent with the corresponding deformations.

I'm curious if the charging system has been upgraded since an accessory power outlet is now included.

How did I miss- STANDARD ABS, and UNIFIED BRAKE SYSTEM.

Not that I mind... I have ABS. Not sure about the other bit.

Really, really not happy about that 40 pound rumor.

From Yamaha page:

* Electrically adjustable windscreen with greater range of adjustment for improved wind protection

* High-quality instrumentation with integrated gear indicator

* Adjustable seat, handlebars and middle cowling

* New, standard ABS system with unified braking system

* Sleeker, slimmer overall profile

* New airflow management system and heat shielding

* 12V power outlet

* Cobalt Blue

Now the question is:

Can the changes be added to our '05 bikes? I wonder what it would take...I am happy with my brakes, but would like the additional windscreen adjustment and the new ventilation and heat shielding.

I like the "air-flow management "idea. Seat looks nice-- ergos adjustments fine..but I dont like a 40 pound weight gain!! Basically they just "BMW'ed it up" to see if the market could take the increase in weight. Anything about price increase?

fiveoon05

Also appears that the rear suspension linkage is now an adjustable system.

Charging system is likely not upgraded otherwise they'd be highlighting this improvement.

For those that carry passengers, the rear pegs look lower; they mount differently.

Bummer about the extra weight.

I'll keep my 05' for at least another year. That'll give the aftermarket guys a chance to catch up, and possibly uncover any new gremlins associated with the many changes made to the 06'. I definately like what I'm seeing. Looks like Mama Yama was listening afterall!............... :D

I like it... But i am not about to sell my '05 JUST for minor changes.. I bet the price tag will be equal to the ST now... 14k

I am curious how much different the Galaxy Blue paint is differs from the Cobalt.

maybe part of the 40 lbs is drive shaft lube :p . there wasn't much on mine. And where are the Moko Sliders, and Magnum Blasters and other farkles we all like so much? I wonder if theres a friggin helmet lock. Seems to be morphing into a ST1300- glad I didn't wait for an '06. Although it sure des look good from the side.

A few observations:

1. I wouldn't expect a 6-speed or a bigger alternator. If these things had been changed, one of these sources would have mentioned it - it would have been THE big deal. I don't expect a six-speed until the engine undergoes a completely re-design from the groud up - you don't add an extra speed to a transmission without a LOT of expensive changes. But it does seem like an oversight not to have done something about the alternator - Yamaha must be in a jam to try and fit extra windings into the available space or something.

2. The fork castings look different, but they're definitely not upside down forks.

3. I suspect the weight gain is not as bad as we're hearing. It would take a lot of stuff to add 40 lbs to the bike and I don't see it in the changes. Instead, I think we're mostly looking at clerical errors associated with different levels of standard equipment (e.g., standard ABS) and perhaps Yamaha's marketing department, under urging from their lawyers, feeling less bold about stating fictitious weights. I'd figure, apples to apples, 10 lb gain max.

4. I'd be flabbergasted if any of this stuff would be retrofittable to the existing fleet. This doesn't sound like little bolt-on stuff here and there - it's fundamental changes in bodywork, geometries, attachment points, etc. I don't think I can ever recall where any major change in bodywork was retrofittable to the previous generation of bikes.

5. It does sound like they're moving the bike more towards comfort and away from sport, particularly adding a feature like standard integrated ABS brakes, which is targeted to touring riders who often don't have the best braking skills. This may be due to their wanting to further move towards the ST1300 space.

On #5, personally, I view this as a regression, but Yamaha obviously feels they can sell more bikes this way.

And it may telegraph Yamaha having a sportier sport-touring platform in the wings - I've got to think that they're looking at excellent R1200GS sales, the success of the Multistrada, and what appears to be a very successful introduction of the Buell Ulysses and wondering if they have to get into the space pretty soon. Yamaha badly needs a non-cruiser, high-performance, water-cooled twin in their engine lineup and moving the FJR away from sport and more towards tour may telegraph something slotting under the FJR in the next couple years. Pure speculation, of course.

- Mark

interesting speculation Mark...and it seems very logical.

One of the reasons that I bought the FJR rather than the R1200RT is because of smoothness. The BMW was jerky at low speeds (a lot of torque in 2 cylinders at 1200cc) and the brakes were just way too touchy for me. Something about having to feather brakes with two fingers just doesn't make much sense to me. I hope the new FJR doesn't get too BMW like...although if they do, it's okay because i love my '05.

I do sure like the new R1 LE...you all see that?

Wow, I just noticed that the luggage bags now hook into a permanent mount. This means that like the ST when the bags are off, the bike becomes butt ugly. It seems we are losing our SPORT portion of the sport touring classification. :beee:

My (now ancient) '03 weighs 641 lbs on a certified scale with bags and full fuel.

The bags weigh 27 lbs with nothing in them.

I'll bet there is essentially no weight gain compared to an ABS (newer) model.

Anyway,it looks like a step forward to me.

Anybody speculate on how the longer swingarm will affect handeling?

Phew! Glad it's not silver! Would have to trade mine in...

Radman? Hang it up, bro. You're too old to still be trail braking. Linked brakes rock! :p

A few observations:
4.  I'd be flabbergasted if any of this stuff would be retrofittable to the existing fleet.  This doesn't sound like little bolt-on stuff here and there - it's fundamental changes in bodywork, geometries, attachment points, etc.  I don't think I can ever recall where any major change in bodywork was retrofittable to the previous generation of bikes.
Making ajustable bars that bolt on where the current ones do (or clamp onto the fork tubes) wouldn't be unreasonable, and could be retrofit.

And it may telegraph Yamaha having a sportier sport-touring platform in the wings - I've got to think that they're looking at excellent R1200GS sales, the success of the Multistrada, and what appears to be a very successful introduction of the Buell Ulysses and wondering if they have to get into the space pretty soon.  Yamaha badly needs a non-cruiser, high-performance, water-cooled twin in their engine lineup and moving the FJR away from sport and more towards tour may telegraph something slotting under the FJR in the next couple years.  Pure speculation, of course.
Yamaha has a bike like the GS, Buell Ulysses, MultiStrada, etc. They just don't bring the TDM-900 the the US, though they used to when it was the TDM-850.

I see the silver part around the gas tank is there to facilitate the adjustable seat, in the picture is is at the lower position, the indentations show where it can be raised to.

Makes sense, otherwise you would be scratching the paint on the tank.

The elongated holes in the silver side panels maybe where the adjustments are made from.

I like the rear footpeg location, hope it doesn't look too ugly with the bags off though.

Gals it isn't the same color red as the 2006 FZ6

2006 FZ6 colors

I guess we shouldn't be suprised Yamaha is going more touring with this model, they did exactly the same with it's predecessor the 1986 FJ1200 that I had prior to this went the same way in 1989-1992

Skippy

Last edited by a moderator:
Radman? Hang it up, bro. You're too old to still be trail braking. Linked brakes rock!
I've figured out a way to retrofit drum brakes (from a Dexter Axle) onto Frank. Any takers? B)