2006 Saddlebag Damage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrwanabee

Reaction score
As i was leaving Americade i noticed that something was a miss, the realease lever was not inline. I found the following ... lovely.

quiestion#1. do you thing someone gained access by force .Possibly a large scredriver.

quiestion#2. could it have been my fualt for packing to much crap.

did i fail to mention that the right and the left bag have identical damage.

quiestion#3. what is next. it is a odd item to replace.

Thanks for your help in advance. the temporary solution was to strap it down. thank god i had extra straps. it worked well. 16 hours of riding...

https://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/fjrwanabee/?action=view&current=DSC01228.jpg

https://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/fjr...nt=DSC01228.jpg

https://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/fjr...nt=DSC01232.jpg

https://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd4/fjr...nt=DSC01236.jpg

If nothing is missing, me thinks you stuffed the bejeebers out of them and they broke.

If they were empty when you discovered it, it's possible someone broke in.

Resize them and wrap them with the tag, but they are too big as they are right now.

Thank You....

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

I have packed mine to the point where it was difficult to press them closed. It would take a lot of force to break those latches like that trying to close the bags. I'd say someone forced yours looking for valuables.

Unfortunately, the bags are only available as a unit, and they are expensive. Your best bet would be to look for a pair of bags that someone rashed up and swap your lids.

Last edited by a moderator:
If nothing is missing, me thinks you stuffed the bejeebers out of them and they broke.

I took all my stuff from the saddleags and in when i came out in the morning , whala...

I took all my stuff from the saddleags and in when i came out in the morning , whala...
I think you would've definitely noticed it when you took the bags off that night. I'm betting money on the forcible entry theory. That sucks. Just guessing that maybe the added few seconds it takes to take the hard bags off as well as the extra weight might be worth it to take the whole thing off when traveling so that someone doesn't see an out of town plate and decide to try to help themselves. Nice makeshift farkle, though! Kudos!

Well, I guess the good news is that since it looks like someone forced them open, you can put it in as an insurance claim with a clear conscience. As others have stated the bags are not cheap, but you might be able to find some scratched up ones on E-Bay, and then swap out your lids, just like Pony said. Good luck.

Definitely looks like someone wanted your side bags, or at least "in" your side bags. Question; by any chance did you store anything expensive in your side bags before you walked away from your bike? Like a GPS, camera, etc? If so, perhaps the thief was watching you. In any case, insurance company claim for sure.

Now ya got me thinking about an alarm for mine! Damn theives... :angry01:

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
in the past i have removed the contents from the saddlebags and left actual bag on the bike. Going forward i think i will have to take the saddlebags in to the room overnight. thanks, but i'm going to try to fix it using some sort of a hook/catch. not sure yet..

Going forward i think i will have to take the saddlebags in to the room overnight.
This is what I do 99% of the time. Figured it would lessen the chance of someone banging into them with a car door, or an opportunity for a thief.

but I'm going to try to fix it using some sort of a hook/catch. not sure yet..
That's certainly an option, and one you may have to try. But if you do have insurance then it should cover the cost of replacement of the bags.

in the past i have removed the contents from the saddlebags and left actual bag on the bike. Going forward i think i will have to take the saddlebags in to the room overnight. thanks, but i'm going to try to fix it using some sort of a hook/catch. not sure yet..
Since you have the pieces (at least on the right side) you might try putting it together with JB Weld. That stuff works good!

Since you have the pieces (at least on the right side) you might try putting it together with JB Weld. That stuff works good!

Thanks for the info . I will get JB Weld and try it out.

I know it's a bit unorthodox but for $1.03 including tax , well what can i say. I just need to make the hole water proof (silicon) and for now i think it is OK.

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01282.jpg