2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . the first people on the scene were other riders who all saw the helmet on the bike. The police at the scene all said he had not been wearing it.
My deepest sympathies to those who discovered a fellow rally rider down with those kinds of injuries just a couple hours before the finish of an 11 day super-human effort. We all know what it's like to be alone under the helmet as we ride. That can't have been anything good to experience, though I imagine there were many urgent prayers for Davo and his family. And thanks to the police officers who, as professionals, are always there for the tragedies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us not soil this thread, which is perhaps the most heavily-read thread in the history of our forum, with further specious commentary about the why's and why-not's of this tragedy. It matters not, as it will not bring our fallen rider back.

Our energies should be focused on the grieving family and friends of Davo.

This was posted on another forum by John Stanforth's son. I had not realized the extent of his injuries so wanted to post that on the thread about the 09 IBR. I don't know of a way to contact or leave messages for John, but the IBR staff may have the info (Warchild or others).

Just to let everyone know how my dad is doing. He crashed in bike on the Iron Butt Rally near Reno NV. He was careflighted to Renown Medical Center in Reno where he as been in intensive care since Thursday night. He has 10 broken ribs on his left side, a broken colar bone and a colapsed lung. He basically crushed his left side and has extensive internal injuries as well. He is in severe and unbearable pain and they are giving him an epidural to help ease it. We would appreciate keeping him and our family in your prayers.

doctorj

This was posted on another forum by John Stanforth's son. I had not realized the extent of his injuries so wanted to post that on the thread about the 09 IBR. I don't know of a way to contact or leave messages for John, but the IBR staff may have the info (Warchild or others).
Just to let everyone know how my dad is doing. He crashed in bike on the Iron Butt Rally near Reno NV. He was careflighted to Renown Medical Center in Reno where he as been in intensive care since Thursday night. He has 10 broken ribs on his left side, a broken colar bone and a colapsed lung. He basically crushed his left side and has extensive internal injuries as well. He is in severe and unbearable pain and they are giving him an epidural to help ease it. We would appreciate keeping him and our family in your prayers.

doctorj
Is there a PayPal donation address like there is for Davo?

Let us not soil this thread, which is perhaps the most heavily-read thread in the history of our forum, with further specious commentary about the why's and why-not's of this tragedy. It matters not, as it will not bring our fallen rider back.
Our energies should be focused on the grieving family and friends of Davo.
Thanks Warchild. I didn't mean to open a can of worms with my post, just express my disbelief at what apparently happened. Feel free to delete any of my posts that you feel are inappropriate and return this thread to a more even keel. Again, thanks for your efforts to keep us informed during and after the rally, it is very much appreciated.

I am keeping a close eye on the forums for word about the other riders injured as well and my thoughts and prayers also go out to them and their families as they work through difficult times.

Cheers,

Allan

doctorj
Is there a PayPal donation address like there is for Davo?
I've not seen one.

doctorj

# 84 David Hicks, Turbo Dave is a finisher :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Turbo Dave made a heck of an effort and rode the entire rally, pushing himself to do well. I congratulated him in Spokane in person and he replied that he was proud to have ridden the entire rally and ridden with so many friends and great riders.

Sadly, his points were not high enough to be an official finisher. He's not a DNF, but will not get a three digit number either. IIRC from the banquet, 76,000 points were required to be a Finisher this year.

Sadly, no..... the Finishers start with 70th Place Margaret Peart.

You had to earn a minimum of 77,000 points to be a true "Finisher". Everyone from 71st Place and 85th Place are NOT finishers; they just made it back within the allotted time.

The other "DNFs" that are listed are actual DNFs as in: did not come back to the Finish Line. These were typically due to mechanical problems, bike mishaps, checkpoint time-barred, etc, etc

Was there a relaxation of the penalty rules at the finish? I just looked at the scorecard of a rider I know came in after 7 and he doesn't have any penalty points.

Edit - Would not have made a difference in the finish position, just curious.

Here's Mr. Bertram entering the Red Loin parking lot. I must have missed Mr. Rappaport in one of the cluster of finishers.

DSCN2780.jpg

Posted by velvet fog.."Here's Mr. Bertram entering the Red Loin parking lot. "

I would say this his would have been red after piloting that wee beastie for some very long miles :lol:

A great effort to make it to the finish line - a very determined rider. :clapping:

Cheers,

Allan

Let's see, you start in Spartenburg, you hit all the checkpoints in time, you actually make it to the end (but if you don't get enough points), you're not an official finisher? I think there should be something better to distinguish a DNF from a completer of the Rally; Perhapss a 'Rust' certificate (as opposed to the Gold, Silver, Bronze).

The above is just a comment, only my opinion and not a suggestion; just my feeble brain trying to make sense of the completion status. (And if inappropriate for this thread, feel free to delete.)

Let's see, you start in Spartenburg, you hit all the checkpoints in time, you actually make it to the end (but if you don't get enough points), you're not an official finisher? I think there should be something better to distinguish a DNF from a completer of the Rally; Perhapss a 'Rust' certificate (as opposed to the Gold, Silver, Bronze).
The above is just a comment, only my opinion and not a suggestion; just my feeble brain trying to make sense of the completion status. (And if inappropriate for this thread, feel free to delete.)

All the participants knew the rules before they entered...if they have a problem with it...let's hear it. Otherwise, the IBR guys can make any rule they see fit...it is their ball.

I see no problem as an outsider, the first checkpoint after the Spartanberg, SC start was St Charles, IL. People could drive straight thru in hours, however the checkpoint was two days later...so this was really like a scavenger hunt where you were trying get stuff on the way to the next checkpoint. Very simple concept...they make the rules that all abide by.

Again as an outsider, I had great fun watching the reports and meeting some of participants and spectators at the St. Charles, IL checkpoint.

I thought some peeps would want to know Davos son-in-law Jim has signed on to the forun as a member and says he is following this thread. His introduction is here :

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=121778&hl=

Jim was good enough to keep the motorcycling community a[prised of family developments recently. Thanks Jim. I took the opportunity in the above thread to welcome him.