2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, I had a heck of a time riding home. I mean difficulty. I was exhausted. Could barely make 150 miles without stopping
Fucking pussy.... just ride the god-damn bike, okay? :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p

r68.jpg
Hey, lemme buy you a beer, sailor.... :whistle:

He noticed me! He noticed me! Hi Dale!

Yes, that's me and it has gotten quite long in the 2 weeks or so, I definitely need to do something with it, but ain't gonna happen before work today!

First, I had a heck of a time riding home. I mean difficulty. I was exhausted. Could barely make 150 miles without stopping
Fucking pussy.... just ride the god-damn bike, okay? :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p

Hey, lemme buy you a beer, sailor.... :whistle:
Ok setting myself up :rolleyes: , I have to agree I had a hard time riding home mind kept wondering thinking about the ride. Needed to get off the bike several time to clear the head. I'm planning to write a ride report but just cannot get started. I did take a tape recorder with me on the ride and spent 2-3 minutes a night commenting on the days ride. Hope to publish something next week. Right now having a hard time coping with the fact 09 is over and I just cannot seem to put in words what it meant to me (friends are asking and I just look at them stupid) I hope a little decompression will help.

I also would love to say great riding to everyone, I had a blast meeting new friends and catching up with old ones. Hope to see everyone on the road soon, hey don't forget the NM LOE is coming up in October :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning to write a ride report but just cannot get started.
based on personal experience (and the comments in mail to me when originally talking about the trouble i was having) this may be pretty common.

imo: start something and stream-of-consciouness whatever you can while it's fresh. you can organize it later.

After my extensive 2007 write-up I'm having trouble mustering the same energy to write something of similar scale and scope. I'm trying to think up an alternate angle to highlight how things were different this time around....and think it's going to take me some weeks to do. I'm planning an interim of the routes at least.

You guys all need to put sidecars on your FJRs for the next Ironbutt and haul along a camera guy to document the entire adventure!! Problem solved! :yahoo:

Here is a 2-page PDF press release from Kawasaki Australia regarding Davo....
Dale,

Thanks for adding the link I saw this post once before somewhere (cannot remember). I met Davo in Spartanburg for the first time we shared a drink one night but conversed via e-mail several times. Good guy interesting to talk to too. He seemed like a really nice guy sad to see this happen to anyone.

Dave

I just wanted to post on the FEBUTT thread about John Stanforth's condition. This is from his son:

"Hi everyone. Update on dad. He finally was stable enough to fly back to Ohio late Wednesday night-early this am. He is in the Miami Valley Hospital trauma center in Dayton. He is still in critical condition and only aloud to see immediate family members. I will keep everyone updated on his progress. Thank you."

doctorj

Funny thing happened during the run across Michigan's UP yesterday. Short version: I got passed rather unceremoniously by another Blue FJR while I was tooling along enjoying a late afternoon PayDay (packed with peanuts!)
I had to wick it up good to catch up with this guy who appeared to be in a bit of a hurry, Bambi threat be damned!

Finally caught up around the Michigan/Wisconsin Border. It was Iggy- making a beeline for Winnipeg I think.

We had a 45 second conversation and I snapped one photo. Off he went.
It was a nice straight stretch with a string of cars to be sure...not my normal mode. I saw the blue FJR, but thought it was a fellow rider....and only figured out he wasn't when I saw the bike was lacking 10 days of IBR road patina.

It was great to see another forum member on the road...and I was totally planning Winnipeg...until I realized shortly after that my shock was going south at the very meeting.

I actually enjoyed the dreams and the altered state after my first IBR. It was much less after the 2nd one, and not at all after the 3rd. I actually kind of missed it.....
(when) i dream (and can remember it) they are usually unusual and vivid. that may be why post-IBR dreams weren't as "surprising" to me. what got me were the ones i had while following along with the events of the next IBR. man they came out unexpectedly, were rally-specific, and i always woke from them with my heart racing.

anyone else have a "detatched" feeling while trying to re-enter the work routine over the weeks following the finish?