2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, you wanna laugh, check this thread out - I guess it started about Meese, but turns to me and questioning whether or not I'm actually a woman LOL!!!! Read all you like, but it gets funny after post #14. A friend sent it to me and I laughed so hard that I had to register for the site and post!
https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.p...7218#post147218
That was just TOO funny! By 2011, there's gonna be no more talk of you as a "woman rider," Miss Kitty. Only talk of you as one of the top riders, and contenders in the event.

As for the haircut, I plan to keep it, at least for now. I need to go to the barber though, it's quite long!
True, you are starting to look a little ragged in the last photo.... or maybe it's the company you keep. :blink: :D

When you are ready for *serious* head shaving treatment, this here be The Shit:

https://tinyurl.com/Do-That-Dome-Proper

Seriously. It's the best stuff on the planet for this application. ;)

I wanna see me there too! Got some work to do.
What is most important, in my opinion, is your great attitude. I was next to you in Santa Anna at scoring. You lost a few big point boni, and took it incredibly well. Great attitude. I wonder how well you would have finished if not for the couple of Ooopses.

A 20th Place position is simply superb, momma, whether a rookie or not!
You should be proud, Nancy, serious business!
bling_cool.gif
Roger that. On day 10, when I did the math and saw that I had finisher points, I deliberately planned an easy Day 11. There was no way I was getting Gold, so the plan was just to get home safely and pad the total somewhat. I could have ridden 1000 miles that day, for a few extra thou, but I settled for 700 miles and restaurants for lunch and dinner.

On the other hand, a rider like you kept pushing until the very end. You needed to finish as high as you could. You kicked some serious butt. 20th place in the IBR is like winning a 24 hour rally. Major kudos, lady.

20th place in the IBR is like winning a 24 hour rally. Major kudos, lady.
I'll concur. I won the 7 day SPANK in 2008 and mustered a 13th this year in the IBR. A Top 20 is generally some tough territory with serious mortals competing. 17th in my first in '07 and a Top 10 gets addictive...I know I have the monkey on back now. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the riders list, all the U.S. riders are listed by state. Why are the Canadian riders just listed as "Canada"?
Hey, now..... Canada doesn't have states! :p

Truthfully, I dunno.... but no slight was intended. We love our Canadian contingent. I'm pulling hard for Maura Gatensby to become a Finisher this time around. Go, Maura! B)
Thanks! Did not FU. Maura395!

I sincerely appreciate the flattery, but watch it or I won't fit in the room with the swollen cranium.

Believe me, I want to do as well as I can. All the time. Margaret Peart is a big inspiration to me and since I'm the loud mouth, Lisa thought it was ME when someone said that a woman with a GS has a mechanical. No, it was quiet, but tough frigging chick, Margaret. She was off the road for something like 2 solid days, 48 hours, and still eeked out a finishers slot. That's a tough chick that we would have seen on the podium most likely. Seriously. I need to watch my back with her around if I want to keep this top woman stuff!

But really, Lisa calls my cell at like 1130 at night as I'm cruising out I-90. "Everything okay?" "Yeah, great! Having the time of my life! CAn't thank you enough!" "No. really, are you okay?" "yeah, really, why do you ask?" "Oh, well, someone told me your final drive failed."

I really thought that someone said that as some sort of strategic thing. WTF???? I was probably more upset by that than anything else in the rally. I did kind of realize before long that Margaret rode the same bike and was quiet so someone was probably speaking of her, but everyone assumed it was me. Lesson to keep my trap shut a little. Can't help it. I'm a bull in a china shop. Always have been. And probably always will be. I can try though! Boy was I wishing I had her number though to check up on her and see if there was anything I could do to help.

Matt - you're awesome and an inspiration, I found a good home for the battery, no worries.

Jerry - your attitude is something I wish I could do, but alas, I can't. I need to accept me. And get as many points as I possibly can without killing myself... I AM good about that one. I know when I need to stop and will do so. Promises to husbands and all...

Bob - Glad to see you posting and doing well. I was FURIOUS. Simply furious. I walked out of scoring and told Higdon I was tired of kicking myself, would he please take over for a while. For those who think he's a prick, he's not. He gave me the ability to move on from that awful moment. It was my fuck up and I won't do it again. I hope. In the end, those particular points wouldn't have mattered much so it isn't a big deal, but I don't like losing 1 point, let alone 2800 or whatever it was. DAMNIT!

WC - you should see me now, you'd be downright embarrassed. Good thing I don't give a fuck!

Chaz! My man! THANK YOU so much for being a solid person from home during the rally! Knew I could count on you!

Maura!

Awesome! IBA number below 400 was another goal of mine! 395 works great for that! You frigging rock! Like you said, ALL the women finished this year!

Maura!
Awesome! IBA number below 400 was another goal of mine! 395 works great for that! You frigging rock! Like you said, ALL the women finished this year!
Yeah! I am pretty thrilled!

Besides TOP GAL Nancy,

Wendy Crockett, on one of those, what was it? FJR or something? She had a severe tire blowout requiring a tow in Saskatchewan , but managed to get on her way to a great finish

Fellow Canuck Jennyfer Audet on a friggin' BLACKBIRD supersport!

And Margaret Peart from Australia brings it home even though few believed she could after 2 days down due to mechanical issues....just think of what Nancy and Margaret could do if they kicked the beemer habit :D just kiddin' Nancy, it is the FJR forum after all

Jeeze, all you 'also ran' peeps need to get a room. :rolleyes: ;)

Way to go Maura! Nancy, watch out or you'll end up like Matt. Matt, watch out or you'll end up like Jeff. :dribble: Jerry, watch out or you'll end up like Nancy. :blink: Except she would look good in a high and tight.

Matt, watch out or you'll end up like Jeff. :dribble:
I'm increasingly convinced for that to happen I'd need to have an extra chromosome inserted into my DNA or something.....or the gym work actually means something at that level. He and Owen aren't human. At least Eric seemed like a human doing his best to impersonate an alien. ;)

Wendy Crockett, on one of those, what was it? FJR or something? She had a severe tire blowout requiring a tow in Saskatchewan , but managed to get on her way to a great finish
She goes by Bionic Pelvis in these parts.

Matt, watch out or you'll end up like Jeff. :dribble:
I'm increasingly convinced for that to happen I'd need to have an extra chromosome inserted into my DNA or something.....or the gym work actually means something at that level. He and Owen aren't human. At least Eric seemed like a human doing his best to impersonate an alien. ;)
Sadly, you will be assimilated... About that "missing time" you experienced during the rally. It wasn't micro sleep... As to Mr. Jewel, <nodding>, he wears the mask well. :evo:

If Jim and Jeff take a pass on '11, I see some wicked riding by Dick Peek in the future, among many others. He's got it bad.

By request, the final set of Google Maps for all 70 riders with 'finisher' status is now available:

https://tcfjr.goption.com/ibrAll the maps now include the start, finish, and check point locations. Margaret Peart's map has an icon where her bike broke down, along with a brief description.
If any riders would like special locations added to their maps, send me a note. Otherwise, I don't plan on any more map work.

Brian,

This is pretty cool, nice of you to put it together. I looked at mine and think there might be one or more stops missing. did you use some computer program to map them or did you do this whole thing by hand????

Brian,
This is pretty cool, nice of you to put it together. I looked at mine and think there might be one or more stops missing. did you use some computer program to map them or did you do this whole thing by hand????
Nancy:

I wrote a script to scrape the bonus location details from the official documents for the three legs (to create the leg maps and the all-legs map), and another script to scrape each rider's scorecard data (from the IBR site) and write out only the bonus locations they had listed. I tried my best to do quality control on each map, but I'm sure I missed a few - hopefully no more than that.

If you send me the location(s) that are missing, I'll update your map right away.

By request, the final set of Google Maps for all 70 riders with 'finisher' status is now available:https://tcfjr.goption.com/ibrAll the maps now include the start, finish, and check point locations. Margaret Peart's map has an icon where her bike broke down, along with a brief description.
If any riders would like special locations added to their maps, send me a note. Otherwise, I don't plan on any more map work.
Buford Neely could have placed better than 29th had he not sidetracked to the Galapagos Islands

By request, the final set of Google Maps for all 70 riders with 'finisher' status is now available:https://tcfjr.goption.com/ibrAll the maps now include the start, finish, and check point locations. Margaret Peart's map has an icon where her bike broke down, along with a brief description.
Buford Neely could have placed better than 29th had he not sidetracked to the Galapagos Islands
I believe that's the missing Citgo station. Sent Brian a PM on that after he sent me one trying to correct the mix up. BB is probably someone who would have gone down there being from MS and all :)

I, for one, think the points for a Citgo gas station in the middle of the Pacific Ocean 600 miles west of the Galapagos Islands should have probably been a little higher...

The typo that moved the Citgo station from just west of McAllen, TX to the equator has been fixed, and all of the affected maps have been repaired.