2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if the rider in Oklahoma is heading to the FAA Aeronautical Center in OK City.....

Amazing to wake up and see a rider in FL, and the gaggle in TX. Impressive rides, and great coverage of the action here. Thanks.

Amazing indeed! Whoever that is is putting in a freaking MONSTER ride by any standards, let alone for the third leg of the IBR!

I think the Cape is in play, hope s/he gets some rest after bagging whatever huge bonus is in Florida.

So, some unknown rider (#138) cross the continental US in, call it 2.5 days; gets a rest day than crosses again to Florida in 2 days! WTF, when I took my ride across and back it took me a month; but I'm guessing I ate and slept a lot better
smile.png
This rally things sounds really cool except for the 1,000 mile/day part.

Reactions: MEM
Trying to figure where the Florida rider is headed. US 27 is good road through there, but not really going anywhere that I can think of. It's the route I take to Sebring, though......

Going anywhere on the Atlantic coast, they would have stayed on the Turnpike. Gulf coast they would have stayed on I-75.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hwy 27 takes you near Fantasy of Flight...Bunch of awesome planes there (Connie, PBY, B24, B25, P51 et al)

Here is a cut-pasted update from Mike about Wendy..

It's 4am in Kansas, today I rode 1100 miles, I'll take a quick nap and be back on the road in the morning to complete my first official Iron Butt Bun Burner certificate ride. Wendy continues to put down the miles and gobble up points." Mike

Go Wendy!!

Where is the Mayor of Pasco now? :)

When is the scoring window open / close for Leg 3? They are all heading back to PA, correct - is the end at the same hotel as the rally began? It's probably in here somewhere - sorry if I missed it somewhere in the 52 pages...

Rider heading through Dallas...geez, what's he doing. Rode through morning traffic through one of the worst construction areas of the city while bypassing roads with HOV lanes and now it appears he's left the highway and headed into the 'hood!

Oh wait, the trains at Fair Park. Looks like he's in the parking lot.
biggrin.png

It's fun to watch someone from "Out of town" without the benefit of local knowledge.
biggrin.png

IGGY Update:

He was in Canada doing his 8 hour rest bonus last night. He'll get up at 4 a.m. PDT and have 2 days and 1 hour to cover 2800 miles. That's a stretch of miles...even for Iggy.

Yesterday was not very many miles, but between traffic, border crossings, more traffic, ferry rides, ferry waits, more ferry rides, and then a seriously distracting city of Vancouver (where every 23 year old woman is a hottie in that town...or has he just been rallying for 9 days?)

He feels pretty good for Day 9. MUCH better than the last two rallies. Weirdly, after he lost all that weight.. he finds his lower back is sore! 'Sup with that? He's resorted to trying to lean back with his feet forward like a Harley rider. It's either that or hunch over. Lots of little weird things are accumulating. His tire is squared off so it vibrates going down the road. He would be freaked out by it, but had it happen on his other two IBRs. His GPS bracket is loose and flops around when he hit bumps, but at least it hasn't broken off. His XM radio cuts out if he bumps the cord wrong. He's lost a glove at the airplane bonus in Colorado Springs..so he finds myself wearing the one he didn't lose, and one of his mesh backups. He's lost 2 sharpies and one dried out on the Pony Express blitzkrieg in the Sierra...now he only has a crappy Marriott pen left.
smile.png

But his FJR is going to roll over 150,000 miles in the next tank of fuel and just runs like a Timex. He's never really bought into the vehicles having souls sort of thing, but he find himself patting it/her/him on the side of the tank occasionally, "Good FJR....good FJR." The Pony Express theme just struck a chord with him and his bike.

Bill and Susan Watt greeted him at the bonus in Vancouver...with a homemade brownie and bottle of water! Bill was the mastermind of the Canadian portion of this rally I believe.

He wonders how friends and competitors are doing? He's still glad he is not in the heat. But, he sees SPOT tracks and wonder about a couple of them...he's hoping Wendy is busting a move on him.
smile.png

When is the scoring window open / close for Leg 3? They are all heading back to PA, correct - is the end at the same hotel as the rally began? It's probably in here somewhere - sorry if I missed it somewhere in the 52 pages...
Yes,scoring opens at 5 am friday morning at the Pittsburgh Marriott in Cranberry Twp.

I was there at the 1st checkpoint and am leaving tommorow around 10:30 am from Dearborn,Mi and heading that way to catch the finish if you want to go along.

Yesterday was not very many miles, but between traffic, border crossings, more traffic, ferry rides, ferry waits, more ferry rides, and then a seriously distracting city of Vancouver (where every 23 year old woman is a hottie in that town...or has he just been rallying for 9 days?)
I really appreciate the Iggy updates and I'm really pulling for him.

However, I find it inappropriate for you to refer to the talented, accomplished Maura as simply "a hottie" She's far more than that and you should know better, sir.

I hope Wendy is busting a move on him too.
punk.gif
Rock on, Wendy!!!

I *think* what you were really asking is when the penalty window opens/closes? Riders need to have their clock stopped at the check point by 8AM on Friday to avoid penalties. They may still arrive between 8AM and 10AM, but will be assessed a penalty of X points per minute that they are past 8AM. (I do not know the value of X at this time)

Once they've stopped the clock, if the same procedure is followed as for CP1, they have 1 hour to present themselves for scoring. In other words, there may be some harried riders on Friday morning trying to get the clock stopped and then working on their paperwork to ensure all is in order.

Scoring continues until it's finished. It depends on how many scorers there are, the organization of the riders and when they come in. If lots of riders are in early and present themselves for scoring on the earlier side, I imagine we'll get through them faster. If riders are screaming into the finish at 8AM, or later, we'll have a rush later into the scoring time and it could run later.

There's a banquet Friday evening (also at the same hotel), but to the best of my knowledge, it is sold out. However, if you were interested in trying to get a ticket, sometimes they become available if folks who bought a ticket don't show or otherwise don't need a ticket that they purchased. It's worth a try if you're planning to be there anyway. The announcement of the standings is really cool, IMO.

Is Spotwalla down? I've refreshed my computer several times over the last hour, but all I'm getting is a blank page.

C'mon, Spotwalla.....don't leave me in the dark like this!!

Refresh safely.

Is Spotwalla down? I've refreshed my computer several times over the last hour, but all I'm getting is a blank page.

Refresh safely.

Whew! Must be my Mac! I restarted it now have the Spotwalla.

That rider in FL certainly doesn't buy in to the pack mentality. But, then, neither does the lone rider on I-64 in Kentucky.

Wishing all riders well. Just two more days of this "fun."

Finish safely.

Refresh safely.
No, it's working for me, no problems.

What the heck is the guy in FL going for? Doesn't look like a Key West run, he's on some back roads right now.

Edit: He's at a BP station. Gas or a bonus at the Ahern's Service next door?
unsure.png

Those folks up by Kamloops better get some giddyup in their program, 2400+ miles straight back

Florida is going towards Okeechobee right now. Surely he didn't take 27 just to go to south Florida! It's good road, but it's not freeway. Lights, towns, traffic.

There will be no more Hard Miles DVD's. I talked to Dean Tanji in Sacramento. He said it was a lot of work, and major expense and there was just not enough return.
Bummer. Makes sense though - niche markets don't get much smaller than this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.