2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to Checkpoint 2 for a brief minute: some of these Voni Glaves photos merit a few captions...

Checkpoint 2 Scoring Room, Rancho Cordova Marriott:

P1170671-L.jpg

In the above photo, right to left (near to far, facing the center of the room) are: Paul Glaves, myself, Chuck Hickey, IronMaiden, Jeff Earls (white t-shirt), Roger Van Santen. Sitting opposite of Lisa Stevens is Steve Hobart. Toward the back of the room, standing in ball-cap is Tom Austin, who is speaking to IBR Gatekeeper Ira Agins

In this shot here, Mike Kneebone looks on as IBR Gatekeeper Ira Agins shows me a particular aspect of the new scoring software we used this year:

P1170676-L.jpg

eeksnake about to step up and check in with the Gatekeeper and stop his clock for Leg 2...

P1170679-L.jpg

Sal Terranova arrives late, but not time-barred after an epic 11th hour dash from north-central Nevada!

P1170744-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read any mention of a video crew, so I presume that there won't be a "Hard Miles 3" featuring the 2013 IBR. If that's the case, given that 2011 was skipped as well, does that mean we've seen the last of the "Hard Miles" series?
too small a market to break even on the costs.
Kickstarter? I'd be in
smile.png
There will be no more Hard Miles DVD's. I talked to Dean Tanji in Sacramento. He said it was a lot of work, and major expense and there was just not enough return.

More photos from Stalker Soldier Ford:

Scott Thornton, doesn't look that bad...

Hopeless_zps0943740f.jpg

Pat and Becky looking awesome!

PatandBecky_zps1b92fa64.jpg

Iggy looking like, well, Iggy:

Watkins1_zpsd3c1155b.jpg

Kevin and Iggy, presumably satisfying the bonus requirements, or at least, partially so - I don't know what was required, but I suspect I'm about to find out Friday morning:

WatkinsSawatskyBonus_zpsbcee82b2.jpg

just noticed this topic has had 100,097 views or hits, Wow!! Absolutely outstanding reporting of this 2013 IBR. Most SATISFACTORY to Warchild, Miss Kitty and all the other contributors and onlookers to whats happening. Sure has kept me glued to the site!!

I haven't read any mention of a video crew, so I presume that there won't be a "Hard Miles 3" featuring the 2013 IBR. If that's the case, given that 2011 was skipped as well, does that mean we've seen the last of the "Hard Miles" series?
too small a market to break even on the costs.
Kickstarter? I'd be in
smile.png
There will be no more Hard Miles DVD's. I talked to Dean Tanji in Sacramento. He said it was a lot of work, and major expense and there was just not enough return.
i thought that's what i said. ;)

What news of Eric Jewell?

It would be interesting to see why Iggy went north when Bob thinks south and east out of Sacramento was the way to go. I wonder if he sees something the routing masters don't see and it has happened before.

How is Wendy doing? Vacuuming up bonii in the south west?

I've been following this from the start and am starting to feel like I'm not using my FJR to its potential!

Thank you everybody for what has been a very entertaining and nail biting 9 days. I got lucky today while watching the spotwalla page. I saw a rider heading into my neck of the woods. Walla Walla, WA to be precise. I guessed he was making some sort of short cut to the interstate on the way south and east. When I loaded spotwalla he looked to be about 20 minutes away. I hopped in my car and hit highway 12 looking for a place to pull over so I could wave and show support. (No time to buy a bra). I had a camera with me and snapped this as I was going about 65 and I'm assuming they were doing about the same.

Thanks again for a grand time.

Bob

GO IGGY!!!

Tenere_zpsd3cf8365.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everybody for what has been a very entertaining and nail biting 9 days. I got lucky today while watching the spotwalla page. I saw a rider heading into my neck of the woods. Walla Walla, WA to be precise. I guessed he was making some sort of short cut to the interstate on the way south and east. When I loaded spotwalla he looked to be about 20 minutes away. I hopped in my car and hit highway 12 looking for a place to pull over so I could wave and show support. (No time to buy a bra). I had a camera with me and snapped this as I was going about 65 and I'm assuming they were doing about the same.

Bob

GO IGGY!!!

Tenere_zpsd3cf8365.jpg
I can kind of imagine it riding solo..

But two up?

Your pix really grabbed the essence of mile after mile after endless mile.. well done.

Bob

GO IGGY!!!

Tenere_zpsd3cf8365.jpg
That's a wonderful pic Bob. Certainly says a great deal in it's own special way given the circumstances. I know who these two are and am pulling for them for sure.

BTW, you live in some spectacular country.

Keep Going!

What news of Eric Jewell?It would be interesting to see why Iggy went north when Bob thinks south and east out of Sacramento was the way to go. I wonder if he sees something the routing masters don't see and it has happened before.

How is Wendy doing? Vacuuming up bonii in the south west?
Hopefully Eric is still plugging along. It'd be great to see him make a strong finish. I think he has it in him.

As for Iggy, he knows his playground well. I wouldn't be too surprised if be has seen something others haven't. I'd have chosen the northern routing just to get out of that heat to the south. It was downright comfy today here in the Seattle area and surrounding areas.

An update on Wendy would be great.

Did the guy passing through Houston stop at the Johnson Space center?

Went right by the Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans. Maybe he stopped for a photo.

Could be heading to Cape Canaveral and also Huntsville and maybe a couple of others for a big combo bonus.

Any NASA related stuff in New York state?

Bob

GO IGGY!!!

Tenere_zpsd3cf8365.jpg
Great picture! Last I saw this bike was in Rancho Cordova on Sunday.

IMG_1561_zps7f505321.jpg

Damn. I hope the guy that was on the gulf coast of Tx (and is now in Fla) got some sand on the west coast 'cause he's just about finished a 50cc.

Status
Not open for further replies.