2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's truly fascinating to see the routing in and around the area I live in. Riders are passing within a few miles of my house.

If you catch the "express" from Anacortes, it's not much longer than the Black ball. Plus you can get to Anacortes quicker than riding out to Port Angeles I would think?? Plus there's always the timing of the runs. Clearing the border on I5 and catching the Tsawwassen ferry might save time too. The ferry and custom lines can be slow at the terminals. Looks like a couple of riders are at the museum of flight at Boeing Field.
Now there's a rider crossing from Tsawwassen to Port Angeles. What the heck. I love it but I hate it. This is like trying to watch a NFL game by sitting outside the stadium listening to the crowd noise..

Wow, looks like someone is in a hurry to get through Texas!
./me wonders if he/she is making a bee-line for Key West. Seems to be alone in what ever though process they have going on. He/she is riding like the wind though. :)

IGGY Update:

I heard from Iggy.... of the two main routes that appear to comprise this Leg 3, Iggy opted for the northern one, along with a large contingent of fellow riders... they are scarfing up a cluster of bonuses involves ferries, daylight only, and other factors. The weather is great and also he knows he's a pinch tired, he is not sapped from heat like those poor souls who elected to go into Arizona right now....

He heard about Eric Jewell hurting his foot, and hoping its not bad..hoping he gets back to the finish.

One of his Idaho bonuses was very exciting, involving off-road goat trails where a FJR really doesn't belong... he credits his Dad making him go up and down steep forest service roads on a dirt bike when he was 6!

He is looking forward to "the 8 hours of sleep tonight"... sleep bonus, is my guess.

IGGY Update:
I heard from Iggy.... of the two main routes that appear to comprise this Leg 3, Iggy opted for the northern one, along with a large contingent of fellow riders... they are scarfing up a cluster of bonuses involves ferries, daylight only, and other factors. The weather is great and also he knows he's a pinch tired, he is not sapped from heat like those poor souls who elected to go into Arizona right now....

He heard about Eric Jewell hurting his foot, and hoping its not bad..hoping he gets back to the finish.

One of his Idaho bonuses was very exciting, involving off-road goat trails where a FJR really doesn't belong... he credits his Dad making him go up and down steep forest service roads on a dirt bike when he was 6!

He is looking forward to "the 8 hours of sleep tonight"... sleep bonus, is my guess.
Big thanks for the update! He knows the area well and can probably make up some good time here. I bet some of his experience doing the WABDR also helped him out in that section in Idaho.

Go Team Yamaha, Go!

Excellent pics, Tobie, as per usual btw.

Great commentary Dale.

Too bad about Eric, hope he can recover enough to continue or at least make it to the finish.

Go FJR riders, Matt, Wendy, Chris, Tony, DEREK AND TIMMY, et al.

Work SUX!
Fixed it,
no.gif
Fixed it again...

EDIT...AND AGAIN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, looks like someone is in a hurry to get through Texas!
./me wonders if he/she is making a bee-line for Key West. Seems to be alone in what ever though process they have going on. He/she is riding like the wind though.
smile.png
Maybe like the 2001 bonus of Barrow, AK from Sunnyside WA on day 5 or 6?? Seems that was worth 1,000,000 points and won the rally for the guy who pulled it off??

Yeah, that was Bob Hall who did that back in 2001.... with George Barnes and Eric Jewell hot on his heels, but came in shortly after the Penalty window closed, making those two DNF..... not many riders on the planet like Bob Hall....

Does the following photo even need a caption? This is what a frontrunner looks like by Day 7 of the Iron Butt Rally:

iggychk2_helmet.jpg

weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
Absolute Animal. As are all who attempt this endeavor, much less compete to win.

Yeah, that was Bob Hall who did that back in 2001.... with George Barnes and Eric Jewell hot on his heels, but came in shortly after the the Penalty window closed, making those two DNF..... not many riders on the planet like Bob Hall....
I was just reading the 2001 recap. They both showed up during the banquet. About how many minutes/hours late did that make them?

I have followed the last few Rallies on your boards and wanted to say thanks. Y'all seem like great folks. I am impressed with your machinery. FJRs look to be the future in the IBR. All the best to all the riders!

I have followed the last few Rallies on your boards and wanted to say thanks. Y'all seem like great folks. I am impressed with your machinery. FJRs look to be the future in the IBR. All the best to all the riders!
Cheers, kgil!
punk.gif

Maybe a memorial bonus in Bonners Ferry, ID. God Speed Davo

And - is the rider north of Flagstaff going north? Does he know 89 between Bitter Springs and Page is closed? Or maybe he's headed for Monument Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.