2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DNA, Thanks for the update on Scott. Among my other toys I'm also into vintage bikes so I have reason to cheer him on. Some friends of mine put on vintage bike shows and also have a Facebook page for vintage bikes. I've been posting on there to let the vintage enthusiasts know about Scott and his bike. The IBR is something of a subculture that not everyone is aware of and they're finding the story interesting and are starting to visit the Iron Butt website for updates as well. I hope he can overcome his problems and at least be a finisher.

The fully replaced bridge section is due by September.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't 101stpathfinder riding in this thing? Maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not sure of his real name, anyone know how he's doing if he is?
Yep. As of the end of leg 2, he is scored in 16th place.
Listed in the stats as Anthony Osborne

Oh, btw, here is Tylers welcome for him in Sac.

P1170742-L.jpg
As I was working and directing the incoming IBR traffic, I must have met Tony but didn't recognize him. I had been looking forward to meeting you Tony! I will have to wait till next time to get properly introduced. Have a great ride! You are doing so good!
smile.png
Watch Tony in the 3rd leg. That man is an absolute beast of a rider, as are all of the IBR competitors. After watching Tony do each of the Great Lakes, followed by all of them in one swoop in 100F heat to qualify for the IBR....
Agreed, one of the most underated riders on this thing.. I've heard a bunch of negative chatter about him that I'm not going to share at this point....

When this ride is over I hope the few that also heard all the negative shots at him step up with me in deriding those who talked shit.

Suffice to say I hope all the long time favorites play thier best game. Tony is capable of some really amazing shit.
Tony is awesome... some of the rides that guy has done make me incredibly envious... or think he's insane... or both... probably both.

Looks like someone is headed over to Vancouver Island.

The main pack seems to be making their way through the southwest. Three ways to route on this leg it seems. North to the PNW, east from Sacramento, or south trough LA, Phoenix, etc. Looks like the majority headed south.

Here's a few Tobie teasers....

Puppychow directs Ignacio where to park and where to go have Ira stop the clock for him....

iggychk2.jpg

Mike takes this opportunity to get some Wendy-love....

wendylove.jpg

Does the following photo even need a caption? This is what a frontrunner looks like by Day 7 of the Iron Butt Rally:

iggychk2_helmet.jpg

Endurance riding on the FJR1300 requires great throttle discipline, otherwise.....

smokedtire.jpg

We have a saying in the Endurance Riding community that after a loooooong haul on the road, you start to look like "meat-on-a-stick".

And this is what "Meat-on-a-Stick" looks like.... nice hair, Matt... your barber must suck....
whistle.gif

friedmeat.jpg

weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif

Excellent pics, Tobie, as per usual btw.

Great commentary Dale.

Too bad about Eric, hope he can recover enough to continue or at least make it to the finish.

Go FJR riders, Matt, Wendy, Chris, et al.

Work SUX!

Excellent pics, Tobie, as per usual btw.
Great commentary Dale.

Too bad about Eric, hope he can recover enough to continue or at least make it to the finish.

Go FJR riders, Matt, Wendy, Chris, Tony, et al.

Work SUX!
Fixed it,
no.gif

I haven't read any mention of a video crew, so I presume that there won't be a "Hard Miles 3" featuring the 2013 IBR. If that's the case, given that 2011 was skipped as well, does that mean we've seen the last of the "Hard Miles" series?

Looking at the Spot map this morning. It looks like everyone said "screw it, I am going home" and then proceeded to head in different directions.

wow - what a routing puzzle. Taking the ferry from Port Angeles to Vancouver BC is an all day affair depending on when they get there. The Black Ball Ferry only has 4 departure times - 3 riders are about to depart right now.

If you catch the "express" from Anacortes, it's not much longer than the Black ball. Plus you can get to Anacortes quicker than riding out to Port Angeles I would think?? Plus there's always the timing of the runs. Clearing the border on I5 and catching the Tsawwassen ferry might save time too. The ferry and custom lines can be slow at the terminals. Looks like a couple of riders are at the museum of flight at Boeing Field.

I haven't read any mention of a video crew, so I presume that there won't be a "Hard Miles 3" featuring the 2013 IBR. If that's the case, given that 2011 was skipped as well, does that mean we've seen the last of the "Hard Miles" series?
too small a market to break even on the costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.