2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... this is no good, peeps..... :fool:
I had to dash 600 miles to Whidbey Island and back today on the Hayabusa, to help out an old Navy buddy.... I just rolled back up home, and I tells ya what, I am just a pinch too weary/fried to take off to Sacramento tonight on the FJR as planned. Or, at least, I need to sleep for several hours before departing. :lazy:

Oh, well... the bike is about ready... got at least one of the aux lights hooked up (deer-side of the road) to the high beam. Also got the spare 1.5 gallon Coleman water jug strapped/bungeed to the pillion area... California is on fire right now, that ice water will be going fast on the interstate! :weirdsmiley:

[img=[URL="https://www.fjrtech.net//2013FJR/ToCheckpoint2.jpg%5D"]https://www.fjrtech.net//2013FJR/ToCheckpoint2.jpg][/URL]
Get some good rest and have safe travels down to Cali. Wish the FJR crew good luck for the rest of us who can't make it.

Looks like the Golden Spike Tower, NE is a bonus location that those riders on the northern route have aimed for.

I have one friend I am following who told me pre rally that he would be taking it easy and looking for a finish. He made a little dogleg to Mt. Pulaski, IL and I was wondering why. This is what I found.

From Historical Marker database entry at (visit link) :
Painted "marker" inscription: "The historic race between a Wright Brothers bi-plane (2 wings) and an Illinois Central Steam train took place September 29, 1910 from Washington Park in Chicago to the State Fairgrounds in Springfield. Wilbur Wright was a passenger on the train. Walter R. Brookins piloted the bi-plane. The win established the first airline route in Illinois and won the $10,000 prize offered by the 'Record Herald' newspaper. Two World records were set at this landing - - sustained flight of 88 miles plus the record for long distance flight of 169 miles. The bi-plane averaged 33 MPH at the height of 1,000 ft., despite losing 1 wheel at Mt. Pulaski. The open field marking the second refueling of the epoch making flight was owned by F. W. Obermiller. City of Mt. Pulaski and Logan County Tourism Committee 1984"

Now this is a little hole in the wall town out in the middle of BFE. Good show by whoever researched these bonuses. I would love to see that place.

He seems to be right back on track now in the middle of the pack headed towards the Golden Coast but I'm expecting him to take a rest any time as his circadian rhythm internal clock seems still a bit skewed from good old American time zones. ;)

Saw the riders heading towards CO tonight, so used it as an excuse for a quick 200 mile ride out to Limon. This FJR rider was making fast time across Kansas and Eastern CO. Snapped a pic on the exit ramp as he was heading in for gas, before his turn south *whistles*.

Crappy picture - see if you can guess who it is - Two hints, 2003 Gen1, Canadian plates :lol:

965644_10200709581559613_1799451849_o.jpg

Can't think of a sweet dream during the rally. But, of the rally, yes.

'11 Butt- 2am riding South thru South Dakota wisps of ground fog that I could raise and lower my head into.

'07 Butt- Glacier Point bonus in Yosemite- full moon rise over Half Dome

'03 Butt- Chief Joseph highway on approach to finish in Missoula

And yep, a number of panic wake-ups during...
09, heading west across NM9 at sunrise, the way the sun played off the landscape (and border patrol agents) was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Panic wake ups for nearly a month after, not so much. Even when I'd realize I was home, it would become "oh no, what am I doing HERE?!?!?!?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy, I stop in every couple of years for your great IBR comments.

A couple of riders are in Colorado Springs apparently camped out near Peterson AFB/Colorado Springs airport (llooks like the bonus is the AriplaneRestaurant built out of an old AF prop job) and quite a few more seem to be on the way there Many bonus opportunities in that area. The U.S. Air Force Academy is up the road a bit, the Pikes Peak Cog Railway is in Manitou Springs (although a flash flood last week left the road to the Cog a mess). Or perhaps a bonus on the summit of Pikes Peak where the Cog Railway ends. NORAD headquarters was under Cheyenne Mountain. Throughout the mountains there are several narrow gauge railways. Many fine opportunities for riders to tour a beautiful state.

To all riders, stay safe, but quick and smart.

Looks like the Golden Spike Tower, NE is a bonus location that those riders on the northern route have aimed for.
HA! Nailed it!

It looks as if a few are in the Colorado Springs area. That could mean a run to Pikes Peak; home to several annual races. If so, I certainly hope there's a photo bonus required at the summit. Sadly, the last half of the road to the summit was paved in 2011 removing the possibility of snow and/or rain turning it into a slimey, slippery mess at any time. Rider will now only face treacherous switchbacks without guard rails while navigating around idiots in gigantic motor homes that should have been turned back at the toll booth farther below.

Pikes Peak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who knows what other bonuses are calling? "Plains, Trains, and Automobiles" being the theme this year could mean that there are a few points sitting here:

Bonneville Salt Flats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Riders better hurry while it's still there.

Due to extraction of salt from the area, the salt flats have begun to disappear. Once around 90,000 acres (36,422 ha) in size, they are now only 30,000 acres (12,141 ha).[7] The salt layer is thought to be shrinking due to the use of the salt in the making of potash, a mineral ingredient used in fertilizer. A nearby potash plant uses a system of canals, pipes, and tunnels to collect the brine that is produced during the rainy winter season in the area. This brine is then used to make potash. The company has begun to voluntarily spray leftover brine back onto the salt flats. It is estimated that over 55 million short tons of salt have been taken from the salt flats since mining began in 1963. Geologists estimate that 18 inches of salt crust have been removed from the flats, and that the reduction of salt happens at a pace of one percent per year. In some areas, the salt is now a mere 1/2 inch thick.

Saw the riders heading towards CO tonight, so used it as an excuse for a quick 200 mile ride out to Limon. This FJR rider was making fast time across Kansas and Eastern CO. Snapped a pic on the exit ramp as he was heading in for gas, before his turn south *whistles*.
Crappy picture - see if you can guess who it is - Two hints, 2003 Gen1, Canadian plates
laugh.png

965644_10200709581559613_1799451849_o.jpg
I wonder how many times he's been able to wash it durring the rally?

Looks like a couple of riders are headed up the Pikes Peak Highway. If they have to go to the top, it will be quite a time sink, hope it is worth a bundle of points. The view is worth the ride, but while on the clock?

Five at the top now and five more on the way up. Time for a high altitude party
drinks.gif

Looks like a couple of riders are headed up the Pikes Peak Highway. If they have to go to the top, it will be quite a time sink, hope it is worth a bundle of points. The view is worth the ride, but while on the clock?
Well, it fits the theme. Pikes Peak Hill Climb is a big race every year. My BMW club does a ride to the peak every year. It's a 19 miles run up that is indeed a slow run unless you're at the gate at 0730 when the road opens - motorcycles can move to the front of the line at the opening. It you get in front of the lookie-loos, it's not a bad run. Get caught up in traffic - especially on the July 4th weekend - and you can plan on a really slow climb - AND decent. I hope it's worth it to them - as many as are headed that way - my guess is it will be. 14,115 feet at the summit. Hope some of the bikes can catch a breath!

1160 miles from Pikes Peak to the check point via I-70 and U.S. 50. 1220 miles if you go thru Denver (faster?). Both scenic but neither very fast plus the time it takes to get off the mountain, up Hwy 9, over Wilkerson and Hoosier Pass' and finally picking up I-70.

Is PP turning out to be the Suckers Bonus West?

1160 miles from Pikes Peak to the check point via I-70 and U.S. 50. 1220 miles if you go thru Denver (faster?). Both scenic but neither very fast plus the time it takes to get off the mountain, up Hwy 9, over Wilkerson and Hoosier Pass' and finally picking up I-70.
Is PP turning out to be the Suckers Bonus West?
It will be interesting to see how the few that went to Scottsbluff NE and then on to I-25 headed toward Casper WY do. One of them went to Carhenge in Alliance NE before heading to Scottsbluff.

I was wondering if the Kansas Cosmosphere was a bonus location. It is second only to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and the largest collection of Russian space artifacts outside of Moscow, the Hall of Space Museum is known by space enthusiasts worldwide. They also have a SR-71 https://www.sr-71.org/photogallery/blackbird/17961/%C2https://www.cosmo.org/

The museum is in the town of Hutchinson, KS making it a trick to get to. If you are ever in the area and enjoy these types of museums I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.