2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I spent a few hours on a bridge over I-70 a bit East of St. Louis, cheering on the riders streaming through Soliciting as I went...
IMG_5106-L.jpg
Really??

Did you get any takers?

PP a sucker bonus? Interesting thought. Appears to be not quite as obviously a sucker bonus. Lots of riders took the bait if so. Maybe the key to being successful with it was to be there when the gates open, as my good friend Aikens mentioned earlier. I don't know if some of the folks still in Kansas are going to try to PP, but they better git if they do. Gates are open until 6PM this time of year according to the website for the place, I imagine if the folks not quite to Colorado don't mess around, they could be to the base at about 2 or 3 this afternoon. It could be quite busy with tourists on 4th of July weekend. But then they still need to get to RC before 8PM local to avoid penalties, before 10 PM to avoid being time barred. Doesn't leave much room for other bonus locations.

It may well have been a whopper points-wise, I don't know, but I think the riders who were there first thing this AM may have done well
smile.png

I cannot WAIT to see the next daily report from Higdon!!!

Being a C. Springs resident for some years, I can tell you that if they're not on the on the road by now, they're going to see some lookie-loo and motorhome traffic that is most certainly going to slow them getting up - AND down. There's enough car traffic at the top now to start making it difficult to pass for those on the upside, and the midday tourist traffic is going to be a problem for those going down.

From here, routing to RC is going to need to be pretty good for those making PP not much after noon time.

Wow. Someone's already up there. Anyone know who this belongs to?
rolleyes.gif

ppbmw.jpg
Am I correct that these are not live pics? If I'm not then Big Brother has come a looong way! LOL.....I think these pics could be as old as a year or two. It all depends on when the google car was driving around capturing pics. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise this did just add a whole new dimension as a spectator!

Nah, that's not live. I jsut snagged that off the google shot. There are semi-live [three minute intervals] posted in an earlier thread.POST, not thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Rancho Cordova area peeps, is there going to be terrible traffic getting to the area Sunday afternoon evening? Traffic in these parts (Baltimore/DC) can be pretty brutal that time on a Sunday afternoon of a 4 day holiday weekend. Just curious if it'll be similar there. Maybe a ton of folks go to Lake Tahoe for the weekend and then back Sunday afternoon/evening for work Monday?

PP a sucker bonus? Interesting thought. Appears to be not quite as obviously a sucker bonus. Lots of riders took the bait if so. Maybe the key to being successful with it was to be there when the gates open, as my good friend Aikens mentioned earlier. I don't know if some of the folks still in Kansas are going to try to PP, but they better git if they do. Gates are open until 6PM this time of year according to the website for the place, I imagine if the folks not quite to Colorado don't mess around, they could be to the base at about 2 or 3 this afternoon. It could be quite busy with tourists on 4th of July weekend. But then they still need to get to RC before 8PM local to avoid penalties, before 10 PM to avoid being time barred. Doesn't leave much room for other bonus locations.
It may well have been a whopper points-wise, I don't know, but I think the riders who were there first thing this AM may have done well
smile.png

I cannot WAIT to see the next daily report from Higdon!!!
What you want is a Rally Pack that states that the bonus is available "Anytime". Then you arrive when it is closed, and you get the points without having to go up.

I had one for the Capulin Volcano that was like that. A picture of the locked gate at the base was all that was required for those who worked out that they needed to be there when it was closed!

On the other hand, it's probably a "Time Restricted" bonus, so get there when it is open, or miss it :)

Pretty sure that Lisa and Tom are fully aware of the toll road and it's gate, so I can't image they'd let such an error slide if really wanted the riders to go up top.

Hey, Rancho Cordova area peeps, is there going to be terrible traffic getting to the area Sunday afternoon evening? Traffic in these parts (Baltimore/DC) can be pretty brutal that time on a Sunday afternoon of a 4 day holiday weekend. Just curious if it'll be similar there. Maybe a ton of folks go to Lake Tahoe for the weekend and then back Sunday afternoon/evening for work Monday?
The people who take I80 will find traffic terrible between I80 and Hwy 50. Lots of traffic lights, none of them timed. It can take upwards of half a hour to go the last 5 miles. Anyone pushing it close will find themselves in trouble. There will be a lot of traffic coming back from Lake Tahoe on 50. It could be interesting.

Pretty sure that Lisa and Tom are fully aware of the toll road and it's gate, so I can't image they'd let such an error slide if really wanted the riders to go up top.
Who said it would be an error?
rolleyes.gif

Everybody knows the peak is time-restricted :)

By the way, at least one rider appears to have collected a couple of bonuses around the base, and not gone up.

Lots of traffic lights, none of them timed. It can take upwards of half a hour to go the last 5 miles. Anyone pushing it close will find themselves in trouble. There will be a lot of traffic coming back from Lake Tahoe on 50. It could be interesting.
Remember it's California. They can lane split. Filtering up to the red light is the shiznit.

Some action at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, The early birds up and down PP are collecting points as they head out of state. I bet they are the same riders that collected the Airport Resturant in Colorado Springs this a.m.

At least three riders seem to be heading Northwest through Wyoming. Do you think there is possibly a very big bonus at Boeing in Seatle? Google maps seems to think it is 28 hours of riding. Certainly doable if you don't need to stop for much rest.

I see we have our first rider to make the ascent to Pike's...142 followed by a gaggle of others...

The following video is Not Safe For Anywhere
Pure.

Genius.

Gotta wonder what other folks were thinking when they saw you, you know?
This is definitely pure GZ. Genius I'm not quite so sure. My guess on other folks thoughts? totally
bad.gif
or totally
love.gif
No inbetween

At least three riders seem to be heading Northwest through Wyoming. Do you think there is possibly a very big bonus at Boeing in Seatle? Google maps seems to think it is 28 hours of riding. Certainly doable if you don't need to stop for much rest.
We've got both a Space Shuttle simulator and an SR-71 in one location.

Status
Not open for further replies.