2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the two lead riders westbound on 80 successfully passed the CHP's regular Sunday afternoon revenue collection point at the Meadow Vista overpass. It's usually one operating a LIDAR unit and 4 or 5 cruisers lined up on the Meadow Vista (Placer Hills Road) on-ramp, with the stretch between there and the Dry Creek Road off-ramp being the writing zone.

As if the westbound traffic coming home from a weekend in the Sierras won't be enough of a challenge, I hope no IBR riders end up waylaid and invited to tithe the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yuck on the traffic. I hope the riders have allowed some time in their planning for that. Traffic just SUCKS in this warm weather. Thankfully, it's not as hot as it's been out there, but still. Yucky. Even with lane splitting, not a whole lot of relief, but better than sitting in traffic.

Folks more familiar with the area can correct me, but I think Jungo Road will save 100 miles or so. BUT, it's 100 ish miles of dirt, that is often in very poor condition, but appears to not be the case today. I'm watching our current Jungo Road explorer to see how long s/he takes... Fingers crossed!
it can save about 200-250 miles over the interstate iirc. the differences here are:

1. it's day time

2. a dirt bike with a skilled rider can make ok time

3. some dirt bikes with some skilled riders in the past have not fared well.

4. on a gl1500 at night it can take 4 hours to cover that 100 miles (it was not "well graveled" at the time).

This is just too much fun, thanks for all the local knowledge

Jungo dude is doing just fine thus far. I hope the road either didn't get trashed in the recent flash flooding, or it's been repaired by now, or our guy is THAT good
punk.gif
Could be Lilly on a GSA and he is a Dirt Rider

Correct, the penalty time starts in 8pm PDT, and ends at 10:00:00pm PDT. Arrive after 10pm PDT, you rally is over.

Well my guy is as good as in the barn with 70 miles to go a few minutes ago. I can only assume he will go for some of the bonuses around Sacto as he did get 8 hours of shuteye last night outside Denver so today was an easy SS1K for him in to Rancho Cucamunga. ;)

The riders are coming in much later than they did in Pittsburgh it seems in looking at the public spot. I hope scoring goes smooth and quick with plenty of scorers. May there be no points left on the table, but we all know there will be, unfortunately.

Any word on Iggy and how he's doing? How about any of our other peeps? Wendy? Paul P? Must I wait until tomorrow when the results are posted?

I'm assuming 8 p.m arrival deadline (without penalty) is PST (11 p.m. EST). Correct?
Yes, it's 3 hours difference, but it's Daylight Savings Time, so PDT, not PST this time of year.
Correct, the penalty time starts in 8pm PDT, and ends at 10:00:00pm PDT. Arrive after 10pm PDT, you rally is over.
Thank you gentlemen. I prolly would've messed this up somehow if I was riding the IBR. I'd like to think I wouldn't have messed up the PP bonus by taking the Cog up, but no guarantees on that either. You know you're at this stage when you have to remind yourself why you're standing in the bathroom. Not at the "why am I sitting in the bathroom?" stage yet, but headed in that direction.

Hey Dale, What about Leg One Bonus List? I am sure we would all love to see those.

Thanks much

It looks like someone is heading up 447 right now... That will make them late for sure at this point I think. More reason to think that Gerlach is a sizable point location. Cool.

It looks like Sal is still making his way, he's got another issue with his speedo due to the tire repair guy not putting things back together correctly. Poor Sal. Hopefully there will be someone in RC that can give him the parts needed off their bike so he can continue. Or maybe he can just use his GPS speedo for leg 3? I'm not sure if he's REQUIRED to have a reading at the end of leg 2?

He can use his GPS for odometer purposes *only* if he remembered to zero it out at the start of Leg 2.

If his SPOT breadcrumbs are accurate, it's starting to look a little grim for our boy Sal

From today's report.

Brian Bumpas went out as well. He’d had a tough ride on the first leg, stood 90th overall, and was struggling. At a gas stop yesterday he opened his top box. In an instant every paper in it was blowing down the highway. His irreplaceable receipts and route sheets were gone with the wind. That was it for Brian.
They would have to call an ambulance to card off the guy sobbing and pissing himself uncontrollably in his stitch. At my final gas stop of my SS1K I ended up chasing two receipts across the parking lot of the gas station and retrieving one from under a truck. That was a measly little SS1K. For this...yea, that would be the end for sure.

It looks like someone is heading up 447 right now... That will make them late for sure at this point I think. More reason to think that Gerlach is a sizable point location. Cool.
It looks like Sal is still making his way, he's got another issue with his speedo due to the tire repair guy not putting things back together correctly. Poor Sal. Hopefully there will be someone in RC that can give him the parts needed off their bike so he can continue. Or maybe he can just use his GPS speedo for leg 3? I'm not sure if he's REQUIRED to have a reading at the end of leg 2?
Gerlach is 1899 points. If Sal is using a spot he does not have to record odometer readings for fuel log. If not using spot, odometer reading is required.

At least that is the way I read it.

eeksnake just finished scoring.... Chris scored a whopping 3,000 points more than he initially though he would, so he's happy!
smile.png

Howard Entman is here... he looks pretty good. Dennis York is scoring him now....

Status
Not open for further replies.