2014 Covered Bridges of New Hampshire Tour - Oct 18th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still in. Ok to bring a couple of non FJR buddies? Make sure to ask if his BMW is a Yamaha!
Yes, absolutely. Last time we ran this (2012?) I extended an invite on the NER forum but nobody from there showed up. You've been on enough of these rides to know the drill. It'll be run at a pretty sedate pace conducive to picture taking and lookin' around.
I noticed some new Forum members from the N.E. area this year too, particularly N.H. & Conn. This would probably be a nice day to come say hello and ride along. Fred always lays out a nice route and there's usually more than one jumping off spot along the way in case anyone needs to bee-line it home at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also noticed that Mikey, and that is part of what has motivated me to dredge this old ride back up. That, and it has always been a fun ride, even if it has sometimes been bone chillingly cold.

And so, in early preparation for the ride, I preran the route this afternoon to be sure that all of our beloved bridges are open for business. And they are! So barring a hurricane between now and the 18th we should be able to bag them all.

The color today was still quite premature to peak yet, which is a good thing for our current plan. But I admit that I do like the early colors the best. The reds and bright oranges of the low lying swamp maples usually pop long before the rest of the trees turn, and today was no exception. Still, even the reds have not come on full yet.

As a bit of a tease I did take a few photos at the Aschuelot Bridge, which is arguably the most attractive and photographed of the bunch. We will be stropping here for a photo Op and butt break on our ride day. It is also the location that we take the traditional "group ride photo" at.

Proof that these are not "file photos" from a prior year.

100_4710.jpg

100_4711.jpg

100_4712.jpg

100_4714.jpg

100_4715.jpg

Looking forward to a good group. Will you be part of it?

Should be pretty busy up in the Whites that long weekend. The big reason this ride is run down in the Monadnock region is to avoid the tour bus loads of leaf peepers that flood the more popular northern regions. Be sure and leave some colored leaves for the rest of us.

PS - If Josie and I weren't Massholes ourselves (in exile) we couldn't use such a seemingly offensive term.
wink.png
And that is precisely why we'll be taking the four wheeled vehicle instead of the two-wheelers, and packing the hiking boots for the holiday weekend. Typical leaf peepers prefer to look at the foliage through a tour bus window, so we're hoping to spend a couple of days exploring it from a trail.
While this weekend's weather probably won't be repeated until next summer, let's hope the 18th is at least dry and sunny!

Well, here it is a week before the re-scheduled date for this ride. Good thing that we did not stick with the original plan for today's date or we'd be pushing it out anyway (it's raining pretty good in southern NH right now).
wink.png

I decided to throw a few new wrinkles in on the traditional ride route. No added unpaved sections, but a few more back roads without lines.

Links to the updated GPS routes are below:

2014 Covered Bridges Tour.gdb - Garmin proprietary format

2014 Covered Bridges Tour.gpx - Generic GPs eXchange format

(right click, file save as, etc.)

Route Preview:

Click the below map for an interactive version in a new window

Keep your fingers crossed for some good riding weather next weekend. Hope to see some of you there.

Wish I could join you but I work in hospitality and my weekend starts Sunday evening. Monday and Tuesday are my riding days. Way up north I usually do several notches in a long day ride. Would be interested in meeting others who ride on "the other" weekend.

Have a Great Ride!

I am thinking about coming up for this ride. It depends on a few things that may or may not fall into place at home, and the weather forecast.

The leaves here in the Catskills are not at peak yet, though some trees have already turned colors and dropped their leaves, so it is not a spectacular year for leafing around here.

I was up in VT last night (in the White River Junction area) and came back down I 89 early this morning. It was quite nippy in the Central CT river valley this AM (well below 32F) but warmed up quickly after sunrise, and we experienced some of the most spectacular colors in recent years. But by the time we got back south to around Concord, NH the colors were again muted, which gives me some hope that we may have hit the jackpot next weekend.

Weather, as always at this time of year, it the crap shoot. But if we hit a crisp fall day next Saturday, like this morning, I will be a happy camper.

PS - 'redliner. You are good ways north of most of us NERDS. Hope to hook up with you some day soon, but I fear your riding days of 2014 are quite numbered up 'dere without studs.
wink.png

PPS - I hope it works out for you Greg. PM me if you think you'll be able to make it.

If everything aligns, myself and Deb will be there. This sounds like a great couples outing (ride wise).

So... I was thinking a Fri nite motel some-where's post Albany. Then Saturday after the leaf-loop? Anything (gathering wise) going on for Sat nite (thinking as to where I should base my Sat nites motel?).

Generally not too many folks stay overnight for the ride, KJ. It's just a single day ride and we split up and go our separate ways at the end, by around 4:30 - 5PM. So you will probably want to make your Sat night hotel plans for in the Albany area as well. Finding hotel rooms in NH and VT during leaf peeping season can be a challenge and quite pricey. The Keene area gets booked up solid because of the college. You might look in Brattleboro or Bennington VT

Also, FYI... Make sure that any reservations that you do make can be canceled, as we will not run this ride in the rain. Sightseeing rides in the rain and that much fun.

So far the forecast is good for Saturday. I'll make that call by mid-day on Friday if need be.

Or... If you were looking to splurge a little lot, the lttle town of Hancock is the home of arguably the finest B&B in the area: The Hancock Inn I'd bet that would be a big hit with your girlfriend. ;)

No vacancy on Friday but there are still rooms for Saturday night. I'll bet they'd whip you up a pretty nice dinner that night too!

Or... If you were looking to splurge a little lot, the lttle town of Hancock is the home of arguably the finest B&B in the area: The Hancock Inn I'd bet that would be a big hit with your girlfriend.
wink.png

No vacancy on Friday but there are still rooms for Saturday night. I'll bet they'd whip you up a pretty nice dinner that night too!
hehe, I'm taking her to Vegas (Trump Towers) Nov 1st... I don't think I need any more fluffing, and, I need to $ave.

And if we show, no need to bring this up ;)

Hmmm... sounds like good blackmail material to me.
I wouldn't go that far.

So what date (weather wise) do you write this down in stone. I hope more than the day before? u know, I can ad-lib and transform the weekend into anything, but my female partner is not as adapt, she likes plans... go figure
wink.png

Debbie is now off making other plans for us now since this was too iffy. (I heard Letchworth, but we've been there so many times before, so I'm not into that idea either).

I was good for a fly-by-niter for the Covered Bridges Ride, apparently not so for her. We were going to wrap this in a Fri-Sat-Sun plan. Much different than most (attending) I'm thinking.

Have fun, be safe and post up the pics!
smile.png
smile.png

Hey... cough.. is this thing on?

5 Day weather outlook is for extreme excellence on Saturday.

Foliage should be right near maximum eye gouging goodness in the Mondnock Region of New Hampshire.

I've not heard too many folks expressing any interest. Anyone coming? I mean, now that KJ has backed out and all...
bleh.gif

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm a very serious probably & a scoot jockey from work (Triumph Speed Triple) may like to join also.

Thanks for putting this together!

Ed

It doesn't look good for me to make it. I am in the middle of trying to repair my old Suburban and I didn't make any progress today. Enjoy the ride and the leaves and I'll see you all next year at one rally or another.

I'm a very serious probably & a scoot jockey from work (Triumph Speed Triple) may like to join also.Thanks for putting this together!

Ed
That's great, Ed. I can't remember, have you done this ride before? Either way, it will be great to have you and your friend along.

Also hear via PM from another local NERDS who will be there for the early part at least.

See you at Fiddleheads on Saturday

It doesn't look good for me to make it. I am in the middle of trying to repair my old Suburban and I didn't make any progress today. Enjoy the ride and the leaves and I'll see you all next year at one rally or another.
Sorry to hear that, Greg. Good luck with the Suburban.