2014 FJR1300A Broken Fork Damper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The right fork damper assembly broke (picture attached) while I was putting it back together while changing the fork seals. Partszilla and other OEM suppliers say the assembly is unavailable. I have searched through the forums and it seems to me the best solution (and maybe the least expensive) is to purchase a complete 2016 right fork assembly. Current price approx. $531. Will the 2016 right fork assembly fit on a 2014?

Attachments

• 2023-11-07 10.57.38.jpg
    2023-11-07 10.57.38.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Look at the part number of the two years on the fiche of OEM or Partzilla and compare. Same part number? Then it will work for sure.

The fork assembly is a different part number.
Then you roll your dice and move your mice.

Or, I'm guessing another person that's actually rebuilt forks or knows the fiddly bits of assemblies may come along....as I don't know this one.

The fork assembly is a different part number. The axle is the same part number. The Caliper assemblies are almost the same part number.

Odd. Part numbers should be the same for the 'A' model forks as I am not aware of any changes. Are you sure your part numbers are apples to apples? IOW, you are not coparing A model with ES model components?

Odd. Part numbers should be the same for the 'A' model forks as I am not aware of any changes. Are you sure your part numbers are apples to apples? IOW, you are not coparing A model with ES model components?
I’m pretty sure that I’m selecting the correct model. I think they redesigned the damper for the 2016 model year to address the breakage issue. From what I’m seeing, I’m quite sure that the external dimensions of the 2014 & 2016 are the same. The top triple clamp is the same part number for the 14 & 16.

I have a gen II fork damper. I don't know if it will fit. But you are welcome to it to try. Part 31 in the microfiche looks exactly the same. The bolt that goes into the bottom looks the same. From you picture I can't tell if the bottom is the same, but might be worth a try. Price is right, pay for shipping from Seattle area.

First the disclaimer:
I have direct personal experience with this issue, but that doesn't make me an expert. I am not a professional mechanic, but I have serviced several sets of FJR forks the past 20 years. I did not spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express.

This is a recurring problem with the 2013 - 2015 front forks. Has happened several times in the last couple of years.
There are several options available.
But first scroll down to the bottom of this thread and you will see several other threads about the same issue.
There are some options listed in some of those threads.

1) Least expensive and most hoped for - Maybe someone on one of the FJR forums (or maybe FB forum) has upgraded their front forks with replacement cartridges and still has the original cartridge internals in the garage and would be willing to part with them. You'll have to ask.

2) RaceTech has a Gold Valve Kit that replaces that compression valve with a new piece that also gives the advantage of custom adjusted valving. Coupled with new springs would be a reasonable upgrade. You can probably do it yourself (well, maybe not, you already broke one :):devilish:) or send it to RaceTech and have them install it.

3) Yes, a new 2016 and up complete right fork leg will slide right into the clamps and function exactly as the original fork leg. The cartridge was redesigned in 2016 and up to make them cheaper to manufacture, the compression valve is press fit into the cartridge making them permanent and not replaceable (well maybe a suspension machine shop could do something with them). Not sure if the compression valve shim stacks were recalibrated or not. Not sure if the 2016 and up cartridges will fit into the 2013 - 2015 fork leg there are some differences in the parts list items.
Not necessary to replace the left fork leg if not broken.

4) As mentioned, there are several suppliers of complete replacement cartridges from about $600 up to about $1200.
Those will usually replace the internals of both fork legs with adjustable guts. Some are drop in and some require machine work.

5) Replace both fork legs with a pair of Gen 2 fork legs (DO NOT use just one Gen 2 fork leg). They will be a straight swap and give adjustments for compression and rebound in both legs. Occasionally a pair will show up on Ebay at a fair price, lately most have been too high priced. Don't find any right at the moment.
(I currently have a pair of Gen 2 fork legs on my 2014. I like them better than the original 2014 forks)

6) Well dream up your own options or someone else will be along shortly with another option.

As a word of caution to others, again, a fork cartridge holder should be used for disassembly / reassembly instead of an air wrench on the retaining bolt to avoid the obvious damage.
And, the torque specs listed in the FSM are for dry threads. Since it's nearly impossible to have dry threads in an assembly that holds oil, the torque values should be reduced 25% - 35% for lubricated threads.

Good Luck,
dan

YMMV

i’m wondering if that end could be re welded to the damper rod assembly. good machine shop should be able to tell you. worth investigating. and cheaper.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to put together your responses. It made me feel a lot better knowing there were options, since the original part wasn't available. I have decided to go with a new 2016 right hand fork assembly. I will get the advantage of the new design, and everything should work with no modification. I have put 135K miles on the bike without any damping modifications, and I find the ride fine for me. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the assembly, and old enough that I really don't want to do the work involved in trying other approaches. I'll let the forum know how it works out.

I have a 2014 service manual, but since I will now have a 2016 RH fork assembly, I need to know the oil height for the 2016 1300A. Does anyone have that information?

Thanks again, Gary.

From the 2016 FSM.
I've never tried this before, I think if you click on the attached screen shots from the FSM they might open large enough to read.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    324.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    306.1 KB · Views: 1
Where does one get a fork cartridge holder?

I will be servicing my forks for the first time myself soon. On a 2013.

If you're nice I'll send you my set up, although freight both directions will likely be more than buying. Hex on cartridge is 26mm. If you are friends with a welder, a 26mm 1/2" drive socket welded to a length of 1/2" steel tubing works. Haven't done a lot of searching for fancy factory-made tools.

~G

Are you looking for a cartridge holder to keep the cartridge from spinning while removing / installing the bottom retainer bolt? Ray has a cheap, easy suggestion for that.
Or, are you looking for a cartridge holder to hold the cartridge for service work after removing the cartridge from the fork leg? RaceTech has that.

dan

Are you looking for a cartridge holder to keep the cartridge from spinning while removing / installing the bottom retainer bolt? Ray has a cheap, easy suggestion for that.
Or, are you looking for a cartridge holder to hold the cartridge for service work after removing the cartridge from the fork leg? RaceTech has that.

dan

I don't know. You are speaking greek to me. I wan't the cartridge holder you say I need so I don't break shit! What is Ray's (?) cheap, easy suggestion? So, when I go to service my own forks, what do I need to do to the cartridge after it is removed from the forks?

I have some leaking fork seals on a pair of '13 forks with 20k miles on them. So, I want to service them and replace seals/bushings/oil. Never done this before and am not familiar with the process? I do have a thingamajing to seat the new bushings in the lower fork.

Here is the RaceTech cartridge removal/installation tool mentioned above. Not necessarily a cheap solution, but better than breaking a cartridge.

https://racetech.com/ItemInfo/178

You know what I think? I think escapefjrtist should ride his sorry ass down here to Arizona and bring his tool with him. Then hold my hand as he shows me how to service my forks! ;)