2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I didn't know it until the dealer's tech showed me, the A model has a selectable sport and touring mode too! hmmpf!! I did notice however that this thing sneaks up on you smoothly when approaching the 6k powerband then whammo! how fast are we going now? Almost like it doesn't want you to know how fast it really is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first post, so here it goes. The boot covers, cover that beautiful motor and that is why they are an option. I moved from an ST 1300 that had a completely enclosed motor, except the plastic valve covers. That open area on the FJR actually shows most of that 1300 work of art, and it should be visible. I would never cover it up. The FJR is unique in the sport touring segment in this regard. Yamaha should be proud of showing off that in-line four.

Granted, the BMW shows off the boxer, but it is not in the same class as the FJR.

This is my first post, so here it goes. The boot covers, cover that beautiful motor and that is why they are an option. I moved from an ST 1300 that had a completely enclosed motor, except the plastic valve covers. That open area on the FJR actually shows most of that 1300 work of art, and it should be visible. I would never cover it up. The FJR is unique in the sport touring segment in this regard. Yamaha should be proud of showing off that in-line four.
Granted, the BMW shows off the boxer, but it is not in the same class as the FJR.
Hey welcome aboard, the first thing you will find on this forum is that someone will have a different opinion.

Chris

</blockquote>

Hey welcome aboard, the first thing you will find on this forum is that someone will have a different opinion.<br />

Chris</p></blockquote>

And make sure you learn how to use the search function. :)

Put about 300 miles on the new bike today... It's just fantastic. I mean, just fantastic. Even getting rained on didn't bother me at all. I am eagerly awaiting my new Cee Bailey screen though.

Is it bad that I tried to find 7th gear...?

You know, I didn't know it until the dealer's tech showed me, the A model has a selectable sport and touring mode too! hmmpf!! I did notice however that this thing sneaks up on you smoothly when approaching the 6k powerband then whammo! how fast are we going now? Almost like it doesn't want you to know how fast it really is.
The FJR is so smooth and fuels so perfectly, I leave mine in (S) sport mode all of the time. I'm not sure why I'd ever want to use (T) touring mode.

... I leave mine in (S) sport mode all of the time. I'm not sure why I'd ever want to use (T) touring mode.
I'll use the tour mode if conditions are really slippery, like during or directly after rain.

Concerning the 2016: as noted by RC65 in an earlier post, a Cycleworld review claimed that the 2016 panniers would not accept an "adult full face helmet." For you guys that now own a 2016, are the bags different? They look identical to earlier generations. My Gen II and Gen III allow all my extra large full face helmets with no problem. Do the 2016 bags have some new interior bulges that the earlier versions did not? Maybe the reviewer's helmet was unusually large.

... I leave mine in (S) sport mode all of the time. I'm not sure why I'd ever want to use (T) touring mode.
I'll use the tour mode if conditions are really slippery, like during or directly after rain.

Concerning the 2016: as noted by RC65 in an earlier post, a Cycleworld review claimed that the 2016 panniers would not accept an "adult full face helmet." For you guys that now own a 2016, are the bags different? They look identical to earlier generations. My Gen II and Gen III allow all my extra large full face helmets with no problem. Do the 2016 bags have some new interior bulges that the earlier versions did not? Maybe the reviewer's helmet was unusually large.
My Shoei Syncrotec fits in my 2016.

The sidebags are the same. And they have always fit any helmet I have put in them. But then I don't think I have tried putting a 3XL in there either.

My Shoei Syncrotec fits in my 2016.
Excellent -- good to know. I was continuing to worry about that (though at some point would have tested it out with my own helmet before accepting that reviewer's word at face value).

Has anyone heard of any '16 model deliveries in Texas or any sightings in dealer showrooms? My Houston and Austin area dealers still have heard nothing from Yamaha about when they will be getting the ones that they have on order.

I had two dealers tell me late May or June deliveries. Or else put a downpayment on one and with a signed sales ticket, the dealer can get one in under Yamaha's preorder program. At least that's the story my dealer gave me. Still took him almost 4 weeks.

I have an ES on order with a deposit with a dealer in the Austin area and Yamaha is not telling them anything. Not sure how that "preorder program" thing works. It's frustrating hearing about numerous deliveries in other parts of the US and Canada and not being able to get any definitive information on when mine will arrive.

You could try the squeaky wheel approach: I called my dealer last Tuesday (after nearly a month of being on order) and let him know that my scheduled ride at the end of this month is coming up quickly. Since I'd already sold my Gen I that would make things kind of hard for me to partake in it, which would make me a very unhappy customer. So, he got on the phone with Yamaha, got put on hold for quite a while while the lady went to see about getting it released for delivery, and then she came back with the release authorization. The dealer unloaded my bike off the truck on Thursday. So, the distribution warehouses are receiving them in, but apparently not releasing them to the dealers just yet without said preorder contract.

Probably not a very popular subject in some quarters, but I found this statement on the Euro Yamaha web site referring to the 2016 model linky:

2016 marks the 5th generation of the famous FJR1300. With over 100.000 units sold world-wide, the bike has been a remarkable success and Yamaha has once more meticulously developed it, keeping true to its original concept.
So, it's not Gen 3, 3.5 or 4. It's officially Gen 5 :) .

Probably not a very popular subject in some quarters, but I found this statement on the Euro Yamaha web site referring to the 2016 model linky:

2016 marks the 5th generation of the famous FJR1300. With over 100.000 units sold world-wide, the bike has been a remarkable success and Yamaha has once more meticulously developed it, keeping true to its original concept.
So, it's not Gen 3, 3.5 or 4. It's officially Gen 5
smile.png
Phftt..

What do they know.

2016 is a 6 speed Gen 3.

:)