90 degree valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 'Fish, and I've got those on my '04, but one of these days I'd like to finally make use of the TPM function on my GPS. Like others I forgot to install the T-stems during the last tire swap but since then I got myself some new black rims so I'd like to find black Ts instead.

Well I have some 90 degree valve stems but unfortunately, I can't comment on them because Pants is an idiot.
My friend Redfish Hunter thoughtfully bought me a set of 90 degree stems recently. I put them in my tank bag and did what apparently people do when they turn 50 years old - I forgot about them. At the next tire change, while I'm standing next to my guy who is about 40 miles from home BTW - the light bulb went off. So now, I will be waiting 9-12,000 more miles for that little upgrade.

If my head wasn't screwed and torqued onto my neck, he'd forget that at times too. (sigh)
I got the 83 degree ones off Amazon and laid them out with the tires to install. I removed the old rear tire, installed the new one, went to air it up .... well, crap! Oh well, the rear's not so hard to get to anyway. I remembered the front.

Wasn't there some "T" stems that some of your are using with air pressure monitors? I didn't see these listed.
Found these in chrome
bad.gif

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/chrome_t_valve_stems/46037/261164
Anybody ever see these in black?
I haven't found any others online.

I'll probably get a set, sandblast and rattle can them in blue to match my wheels, that's the homeboy bling effect.

Wasn't there some "T" stems that some of your are using with air pressure monitors? I didn't see these listed.
Found these in chrome
bad.gif

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/chrome_t_valve_stems/46037/261164
Anybody ever see these in black?
I haven't found any others online.

I'll probably get a set, sandblast and rattle can them in blue to match my wheels, that's the homeboy bling effect.
Yabut I can't bling out a color-less bike.
tonguesmiley.gif

Still, I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe an excuse to use my 20% off coupon and put something like this on the shelf.

tonguesmiley.gif

Still, I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe an excuse to use my 20% off coupon and put something like this on the shelf.
Those are kind of cool! I know that having mine rotated forward is a pain as getting the Garmin Sensor off is a bit of a pain then trying to get the air chuck on is awkward.

Valve%20Stem%20II_zpsvwc53l3n.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Panman,

I had the wheels off the bike to install the T stems so it was easy to rebalance. I did not take the tire off the wheel.

I added about 20g to the side opposite the T-Stem (Don't forget to install the TPMS for the rebalance!).

Interesting name for a bike parts website, but Curvy Girl has lots of valve stems:

I have had the short straight metal ones on my 07 FJR since the first tire change and they still work great 100,000 miles later. I use an angled head pressure gauge and angle head air chuck, so these work for me.

tonguesmiley.gif

Those are kind of cool! I know that having mine rotated forward is a pain as getting the Garmin Sensor off is a bit of a pain then trying to get the air chuck on is awkward.

I have those - they are seriously heavy and take a lot of weight to balance....

I have the Black one from CurvyGirl installed on my '09. Have been on there since the frontt ire change at 7241 miles and the rear tire at 17292.. Both replaced at 23083 with T30 tires. Pushing 31000 now, both tires look good. Valve stems have never leaked or caused any other problem, still look like new.

tonguesmiley.gif

I was kinda worried about this.

Wonder how many of you balance the wheels without tires, add the weight to the inside and then rebalance with tires?

tonguesmiley.gif

Wonder how many of you balance the wheels without tires, add the weight to the inside and then rebalance with tires?
I've never heard of adding weight inside. How would you do that? With stick-on weights it seems they'd just sling off then bounce around in the tire until removed.

Yabut I can't bling out a color-less bike. :tonguesmiley: Still, I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe an excuse to use my 20% off coupon and put something like this on the shelf.

I've never heard of adding weight inside. How would you do that? With stick-on weights it seems they'd just sling off then bounce around in the tire until removed.
Kinda like beads...

My '07 wheels were off 30 or so grams, so I balanced the wheels and put clip on weights. Any weights to balance a tire were stick-ons. The 2014 had 50 grams of clip-ons on the back wheel from Yamaha. When I put the T-stems and the sensors (Hawks Head system), I weighed them first 38 grams. So essentially I took off all but 10 grams of clip-ons. It appears Yamaha has a severe light spot at the valve stem.

tonguesmiley.gif

They don't sling off on the outside do they?

^^Sometimes they do, but think about the way the force is exerted. On the outside, the stick-ons are pressed into the rim at speed. If the weight is stuck to the rim, inside the tire, the force pulls the weight away from the rimrim surface. I wouldn't stick one inside.

tonguesmiley.gif

They don't sling off on the outside do they?
If applied properly, no. Maybe I misunderstood your post "add the weight to the inside." Did you mean inside the tire?