"A Story Worth Living"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
Marie and I went to the movie theater to watch it. Twisted Throttle sent an email last week promoting it, and felt they had a vested interest in it.

Before I give an opinion of it, I was wondering if anyone else went and saw it, and what did YOU think?

Here's the trailer

I have friends that just saw it in Fairbanks. Initial feedback is too much talking, too little riding.

It's not playing anywhere near me...I'll have to wait for the Netflix version.

I enjoyed both of the Long Way series. I thought they were well done without being overly staged.

Watching the trailer for this turned me off within seconds. Good title...but I have a strong feeling it will fail to live up to it.

I just got out of the viewing. I will agree with the too much yammering and not enough riding. I have also read the book - Wild at heart. This was supposed to be associated in some way. Too much talking about feelings and fears. Expected it to be a story about reclaiming the masculinity that political correctness strips away. It did look like a ginormous add for Klim, twisted throttle, BMW ... Now there is packing it all on the bikes and having a go at it. Would it have killed them to pull off a Blazing Saddles campfire scene. Some whiskey and few cigars and farting around the camp fire. Hell yeah!

Awful, wasted money and time. They were inspired by Long Way Round but failed in every way to understand why LWR worked so well.

Should have just warned me. Could have all gone to dinner instead.

I wanted to scream in the theater for those navel grazers to stop talking and start riding!

Thanks for the warning and saving the rest of us from wasting the time to watch it. I had seen the announcement spam email from TT and read through the promo. Looked pretty uninteresting even from that, which doesn't usually bode well for the film.

Just another example that pretty much anyone can make a lame ass video today. But not everyone can tell a good story.

Firstly, Marie and I were excited to see this. Not knowing the details about it, we thought we were going to see a dual-sport adventure with beautiful cinematography. An inspiring look into man's struggle with environment and machine, facing adversity and overcoming the fear of inadequacy. We were severely disappointed.

***Possible spoiler alert***

The premise was of 6 men, being inspired by Long Way Round, taking a trip on motorcycles through roads and backroads of Colorado. There was the father, also the narrator, two young men (I think his), a friend of the young men (who admittedly had 10-15 hrs of experience), a psychologist (a friend of the father's), and a guide to help them with planning and execution of the trip.

They started by buying used BMW GS 800's off of the internet, and then prepping them with maintenance and farkles (painfully supplied by SW Motech, Twisted Throttle, Barkbusters, etc.., with stickers everywhere on the bikes). An off-road riding class was next, which was smart on their part, as only the guide had any knowledge of riding off-road. After mapping their ride and loading the bikes, they were off from somewhere in Colorado.

Their first day had them riding paved roads, to another of the father's friends, who was building his own airplane. An inspirational talk from the pilot about a crash landing sometime earlier, started the discussion about one's life, or "story", as they like to put it.

Some more stops at a cliff lined river, where a climbing friend of the father had died while climbing with him, and a duned area where the young men reminisced of their love of Star Wars. All the while, more discussions of their "story", or more to the point, their experiences in their lives concerning everything from a relationship with a father, to being abused mentally, physically, and sexually.

It was at the dune scene, that Marie and I got up and walked out of the theater, after having enough of this soul-searching, telling of one's feelings, and introspective awareness of why we are what we are. $30 wasted.

What went wrong? Why did this totally miss the mark on a motorcycle adventure?

Well, in my opinion, it is because they made the adventure secondary to their primary agenda, which was to look into one's self, face the demons of one's past, and come to an understanding of why they are, who they are.

In the hour of viewing, very little was shown of them on their bikes, just small snippets here and there. Mainly, it was them talking about themselves and their views of life's meaning. It had a narcissistic feel to it, with a captive audience at their disposal. More time should have been given to the actual riding adventure, to the trials and tribulations of maneuvering 600lb motorcycles off-road. To the building of confidence, and the natural comraderie that would be attained because of these shared experiences. Their attempt to replicate a LWR adventure failed miserably. They forgot why they chose motorcycles for this film, and instead, chose to make a chic film about psychoanalysis among friends, with some motorcycle footage thrown in.

Off course, this is just my opinion, and others may find this film inspirational. My advice though, would be wait until you can view it for free. That way you're out nothing but time, time that you will never get back.

Rob

I'm fairly certain that Charlie Boorman agreed to come meet them until he saw the video and then promptly went out and broke both his legs so he would have an excuse to stay home.

Best thing about this movie. I rode the FJR both to and from the theater on my local back roads. There were a few curves with new pavement.

Viewing tip: Get the movie on DVD, then get your riding friends together and everybody drink whenever the word "Story" is said. Make sure no one drives home because no one will be in any condition to be driving.
biggrin.png

What went wrong? Why did this totally miss the mark on a motorcycle adventure?

...it is because they made the adventure secondary to their primary agenda, which was to look into one's self, face the demons of one's past, and come to an understanding of why they are, who they are.
Because Hipsters.

I don't know about you guys, but when you are on the bike - YOU ARE ON THE BIKE and no where else. No phones. No nagging. No psycho-babble. You are one with the machine and free from the usual stresses. That's the WHOLE POINT of being on the bike. Freedom.

They missed the mark because the purity and simplicity of riding wasn't in focus.

I was pissed that I would miss it since I scheduled myself to teach an Experienced Rider Class to the Fargo Harley Owners Group. It ended up being for the better after watching the movie trailer and hearing reports from others. Glad I missed it. The HOG group ERC went fantastic! I love seeing experienced riders challenge themselves to improve their riding skills.

It was a total misrepresentation of a "Biking adventure movie"

A bunch a guys who just liked to hear their own voices and were not even sure what reality they belonged in.

I think Ewan McGregor asked Charlie Boorman to appear on camera so he (Ewan) wouldn't be associated in any way - JSNS. But gixxerjasen could be right also. LOL

Save your money guys.

If you get the chance to see it for free --- don't. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: