A useful farkle for motorcyclists traveling armed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was traveling recently with a handgun for protection. Although I am licensed in Oregon, and Idaho, Utah and some other states recognize my license to carry, I suspected I may travel in Nevada and California that do not recognize my license to carry concealed.

I found this Lockdown Handgun Vault (large version) safe that fits nicely in a saddlebag of the FJR, is reasonably priced and meets TSA and airline requirements for carry of firearms in airplanes. So after a week of use I found it very handy, relatively light and heavier guage steel than other products I found on the market.

For those interested here is a link to a vendor that sells it. I am not affiliated with Midway, though I do get a discount as a Class 3 FFL:

https://www.midwayusa.com/Product/736762/lockdown-large-handgun-vault-pistol-security-box-11-x-6-1-2-x-2-steel-black

Probably a good thing to have but might not be required in states without reciprocity. Ya gotta check each states laws if your unsure, but typically if your gun is in one location and the ammo is in another your legal..ie your gun could be in the tank bag but the ammo in a side bag. I think in almost all states that would be legal. Canada?..I have no idea but a good internet surf should supply useful info. Nice find tho.

Bill

I was traveling recently with a handgun for protection. Although I am licensed in Oregon, and Idaho, Utah and some other states recognize my license to carry, I suspected I may travel in Nevada and California that do not recognize my license to carry concealed.

I found this Lockdown Handgun Vault (large version) safe that fits nicely in a saddlebag of the FJR, is reasonably priced and meets TSA and airline requirements for carry of firearms in airplanes. So after a week of use I found it very handy, relatively light and heavier guage steel than other products I found on the market.

For those interested here is a link to a vendor that sells it. I am not affiliated with Midway, though I do get a discount as a Class 3 FFL:

https://www.midwayusa...x-2-steel-black
Might be a good idea when you travel through Nevada and California. In states that do not recognize your ccw I would keep the pistol unloaded

and the ammo in a separate side case. I may pick one up for a trip I am planning, although quite a few state recognize NC for some reason.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html#concealed-carry-reciprocity

Probably a good thing to have but might not be required in states without reciprocity. Ya gotta check each states laws if your unsure, but typically if your gun is in one location and the ammo is in another your legal..ie your gun could be in the tank bag but the ammo in a side bag. I think in almost all states that would be legal. Canada?..I have no idea but a good internet surf should supply useful info. Nice find tho.

Bill
I understand that and respect that approach. But this way I can go anywhere and not worry about local laws. I did unload the gun and kept ammo in the other locked sidecase as the Zsdad noted. Not handy at all but a choice I made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good find Shiny. I just bought the same one, but with a combo lock. The cable is a nice feature as you can loop it around a seat leg in the cage. Won't stop a pro, but slows down the smash and grab style hoods.

Good find Shiny. I just bought the same one, but with a combo lock. The cable is a nice feature as you can loop it around a seat leg in the cage. Won't stop a pro, but slows down the smash and grab style hoods.
When not on the FJR that's exactly how I use it. I throw a large map book or paper trash bag over it to hide the safe from the smash and grabs as well.

I forgot to mention the foam liner smells baaad, but can be washed. The safe fits a 1911 supposedly, but I can say it holds a sig carry or a J frame easily.

You can take a shotty or other long gun to Canada but you have to do all the paperwork.
Yep! Been there, done that. I took my 12 gage shotgun on my trip there. The paperwork is online, make a copy, check in at the border. I believe it has to be longer than 28 1/2". Mine's 29 1/2" (pistol grip). Better have a fairly good reason, though. I was camping in extreme bear country. They will have you sit in the office until they complete their part of the permit. I kept the gun in my trailer in a felt sleeve. 10 rounds of ammo in it's box also in the trailer. By the way, no guns are allowed in National Parks, Canada or US. You also must go through the check-in process when entering back into the US.

FYI - cops cannot carry handguns while off duty in Canada (except if they are on-call, usually special units canine, swat, etc.) so don't even try to bring one across the border.

By the way, no guns are allowed in National Parks, Canada or US.

Feb. 22, 2010

Hikers in the Grand Canyon, visitors to Old Faithful and anyone else sleeping at hundreds of national park campsites across the country might now be surrounded by other tourists carrying shotguns or rifles.

Thanks to a new law that took effect today, it is now legal to carry loaded guns into our national parks.

The change in federal law basically means that national park visitors must obey the federal, state, and local gun laws appropriate to the parks they are visiting. It's a sharp change to previous laws that severely restricted guns in the national parks, generally requiring them to be locked or stored.

You can take a shotty or other long gun to Canada but you have to do all the paperwork.
Yep! Been there, done that. I took my 12 gage shotgun on my trip there. The paperwork is online, make a copy, check in at the border. I believe it has to be longer than 28 1/2". Mine's 29 1/2" (pistol grip). Better have a fairly good reason, though. I was camping in extreme bear country. They will have you sit in the office until they complete their part of the permit. I kept the gun in my trailer in a felt sleeve. 10 rounds of ammo in it's box also in the trailer. By the way, no guns are allowed in National Parks, Canada or US. You also must go through the check-in process when entering back into the US.
Law was changed last year. You can carry in National Parks in the US now.

EDIT: I didn't see Mark's response. Yup, you can carry if you follow the local laws.

Back to original topic... I have two of those safes keyed to the same key. They are excellent safes and come in several sizes.

Feb. 22, 2010

...it is now legal to carry loaded guns into our national parks.
If your license or permit has reciprocity in the state you are in, you can carry in National parks, but IIRC you cannot carry inside any of the office or tourist buildings in the park. They are federal buildings.