Advise Please!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom of VA

Reaction score
Ok... After reading here and discussing with the dealer, I've determined that my bikes surges from a lean factory fuel mixture. My bike runs so nice when the engine is cold. I would like to attempt a fix but am unsure about which solution to try. I am not concerned about losing a little power. I just want my bike to cruize smooth and consistant in town (25-45mph). The Barbarian jumper solution appeals to me but I don't want to purchase a emission gas sniffer. Has anyone had sucess just making a small increase to the factory settings with out using an exhaust gas measering devise? Or, does the power-commander give better/easier results for getting rid of the surge? If you have had this problem PLEASE SHARE which procedure you used, and rate your satisfaction 1-10. (10 being super-smooth at all rpms with no new side effects resulting from the change)

Thanks!! :atv: smmmmmmmmmooooooooooth

Tom - trust me on this: don't bother with the Barbarian Jumper mod.

That mod was quite useful the first year the bike was available in CONUS only because DynoJet had not manufactured a FJR-specific PC-III yet.

Now that the PC-IIusb is widely available, the BJM is essentially obsolete.

Further, the PC-IIIusb gives you a host of benefits the BJM can't. And it will completely eliminate your main complaint of lean, low-speed surging. On a scale to 1-10, it's about an 11.5.... :D

Get a PC-IIIusb from BikeEffects.com (take advantage of his forum discount), upload the Wally Smoothness Map, and start living the Good Life!

Some links for ya:

PC-III for the FJR

PC-IIIusb installation instructions

Disconnecting the O2 Sensor

The Wally Kilburg "Smoothness" Map

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the plug, Warchild!

You can see the PC-III on my site at this link:

Power Commander

Just in case you missed it elsewhere on this board, SportbikeEffects.com offers a 10% discount to Forum members on purchases of $50.00 or more. This discount applies to product totals on our Web site. It applies to all products, (not just FJR goodies), and can be combined with our Monthly sales. Here is how it works. During the checkout phase of an online purchase, there is a box where you can place a Discount Code or Coupon Number. Your Coupon is "FJR1300". The discount will be figured automatically. That is all there is to it. Telephone orders also apply. Just mention that you are a Forum member here.

The result is that the final price for the Power Commander to forum members is $269.95, plus shipping, and tax if you are in California.

I suffered same problem, and now it´s gone! What I did, is installing PCIII with accelerator pump+Wally´s smoothness map. It is whole new world now! Bike seems to be quicker and no surge at all...Buying a PC III was worth every Euro to me....and yes it is 9.5 in my scale...Can´t give 10, because nothing is perfect and nothing is so good that you can´t make it better...not even FJR;)!

Hey guys just want some details on "tuning" the power commander with the custom mapping from Wally. Does the unit come with a USB cable that i can connect to my laptop? Is there software I need to load on my computer so I can communicate with the power commander. Are there instructions that come with the unit?

Thanks,

Gene

Hola Tom of VA,

I myself experienced the surging that you describe. I did the barbarian jumper & bumped all 4 cylinders 3 points from manufacturer's settings. This may be an obsolete way to richen things up but I did a little weighing of money to effort... effort won out. If I remember correctly the PC III is a pretty expensive lil' gadget.

Also, my friend ridgerunner bumped his 5 points each cylinder (after I played the guinea pig) & she runs silky smooth.

I understand that your gas economy may suffer a little... it does with the PC gadget, also...and realistically, I haven't noticed any loss in MPG.

An alternative to purchasing the PCIII USB from sportbikeeffects.com is mdracing.com. The price of the PCIII is only 259.95 and they only charge 3.00 for shipping insurance. If you give them your bike setup (i.e. exhaust, etc.) they will load a map for you as close to your configuration as possible.

The only downside is you cannot order directly from their site. But all you have to do is call toll free 888-526-3250 and ask for Matt or Carol.

Sometimes a discount is still not the cheapest price.

I had the website wrong. It is mdracingstp.com. Matt or Carol are the same though.

Warchild & Luvitoride,

Thanks so much for the thoughts. I am leaning toward ordering the PC-III, but I've been spending like crazy lately and may want to wait another month....maybe. Now I have another question.

But the Yamaha decided to lock out this capability in the bikes they shipped to North America.
If I do the BJM. Does it just undo a manufactuer "lock-out" enabling unsanctioned adjustments? Do I need to reverse the BJM if I add the PC-III later? Other than not liking the settings, is there any other risk to the BJM operation? :atv: ca surge ca surge ca surge.......

Hey guys just want some details on "tuning" the power commander with the custom mapping from Wally. Does the unit come with a USB cable that i can connect to my laptop? Is there software I need to load on my computer so I can communicate with the power commander. Are there instructions that come with the unit?Thanks,

Gene
Gene,

Software and instructions come with the unit. It helps if you have a laptop running a late version of windows - XP is easy. Comes with external power adapter, and usb cable. It also has a CD with the software.

All the best,

Mike

Anyone have a link to the torque/horsepower graphs of Power Commander vs. stock?