Alternate Windscreens - looking for those with Rifle experiences on Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence

Reaction score
I've read about the C Bailey, CalSci, and V stream (and I suppose I should throw Givin in here as well). What I'm interested in is if someone has tried those three along with the Rifle?

I've ridden on '06 with the V-stream - the wind buffetting my sides was unexpected (I'm 6' 175lbs, 32in inseam) but way better than stock. I just bought an '08 on Friday

I've got 110k on my '90 Concours (the stock screen was a flip-up) and switched long ago (12+yrs?) to a tinted Rifle screen. From that, I've learned a few things:

- flip up lips may work for solo riders but typically are TERRIBLE for pillion.

There is a reason Rifle and CalSci don't do flip up screens

- Rifle makes a good product and has been good to work with

- I like a tinted screen a few inches that typically is a few inches below my line of sight (and air going up and over me)

My question is NOT which screen is best/what you use now, but rather the experiences of those who have tried the Rifle vs the others (especially on the Gen II bike).

I hope when phrased this way, this thread doesn't belong in Never-Ending Pointless Recurring Threads, but if this shoudl be moved, no offense will be taken

I went from stock to VStream that was a lot better than stock but still had buffeting around the helmet.. I was looking about 3" over the top when all the way up.... getting ready for SFO then on to Virginia and thought the buffeting would be too much... so got the Rifle +5+4 clear... I've only put about 250 miles on it...but it works for me...I can get a position that has no helmet buffeting.. I can raise it to where I see through the shield for max protection or lower some to where I look over the shield and still not have any buffeting... and after riding with the Texan and Atxrider yesterday I can say it is stable at triple digits... :)

I went from stock to Rifle to Cee Bailey +2/+0 (without flip). The rifle is very heavy but had by far the best optical clarity, and when half-raised it reduced noise and wind more than the others. The problem was there was no change when raising it fully up. The stock windshield completely blocks wind noise when I get behind it, but it was a bit too low, hence the Cee Bailey. The CB is exactly the same shape as stock, just 2" higher in this case. Its optical quality is better than stock but definitely not as good as the Rifle's. It's also very very slightly tinted even though it's supposed to be clear.

I had a Cee Bailey and went to the Rifle when my Cee Bailey started to dull. I was surprised to find out the Rifle windshield requires putting some extension brackets on top of the motorized arms which raises the windshield off the bike a couple more inches. The ride seems OK with the Rifle windshield, but I must admit with the windshield raised up it makes the front end look odd and I'm not sure I can live with the look. I may end up putting the old Cee Bailey back on. I would like to try a V-stream, but have read some reports that riders either love them or hate them. Good luck and if you find something you really like let me know!! <_<

I went from a CalSci windshield to a Rifle. The CalSci was good but in traffic at interstate speed had a fair amount of buffeting from the sides. The Rifle with the included tuning blocks is very quiet with little buffeting even in traffic. I am 6ft with a 32 inch inseam, a Russell seat, and a Penske shock that raises the rear of the bike slightly. The standard tall shield is perfect without the Russell seat. With the Russell seat The Rifle tall was either perfect or slightly too short for me and I orderd a Rifle shield 1 inch taller than their standard tall shield. With the tall +1 inch shield I can look through the shield when it is fully extended. It is very quiet even when low enough to look over the shield. This is a big shield, I prefer very quiet air or very smooth air. Give me a full shield or a naked bike. I dislike shields that disturb the air and cause buffeting.

rfulcher - yours is exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for

I orderd a Rifle shield 1 inch taller than their standard tall shield.
Which shield would that be? https://www.rifle.com/stores/showdetl.cfm?&...-FJR1300A%20%20 lists

Height: 1", 3", or 5" longer than stock. Custom heights available.
So, did you get a +6" over stock? or?? sorry if I'm being dumb.

We are the same size, so that is also very useful info. I have the stock seat at the moment, but will get them redone. I'm not planning to go to the Russell.

My experience on the Conocurs has been that I like looking slightly over the screen, rather than thru it (but the angles and airflow will be different).

I got a shield that was 6 inches over stock. Without the extra height of the Russell seat and the Penske shock the 5 inch +, their tallest standard order, was good. With both of those mods I needed the 6 inches over (5+1=). Interesting thing with the Rifle shield is that I can always feel a slight breeze on my face. With other shields I had to raise my helmet shield for the quietest ride. With the Rifle it is actually very quiet with the shield down. I frequently ride with the face shield halfway down. The thing I like best about the Rifle is the lack of wind noise even in heavy traffic. I can wear a noisy helmet and don't have to push my ER6i earphones till they youch my brain stem to have good tunes.

I always have the shield adjusted to look slightly over the top edge. I seldom run the shield in the low position.

rfulcher - yours is exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for

I orderd a Rifle shield 1 inch taller than their standard tall shield.
Which shield would that be? https://www.rifle.com/stores/showdetl.cfm?&...-FJR1300A%20%20 lists

Height: 1", 3", or 5" longer than stock. Custom heights available.
So, did you get a +6" over stock? or?? sorry if I'm being dumb.

We are the same size, so that is also very useful info. I have the stock seat at the moment, but will get them redone. I'm not planning to go to the Russell.

My experience on the Conocurs has been that I like looking slightly over the screen, rather than thru it (but the angles and airflow will be different).

Last edited by a moderator: