Any FI Experts Out There?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but the most likely explanation for all of this is an inaccurate butt dyno.
- Mark
:stupid:

I agree with Markjenn on this one...
What I did on Sunday coming back from WFO-4 was a butt dyno. What I did yesterday and today was a controlled experiment where the only variable was the outside air temperature and that experiment confirmed that my butt dyno was not all that inaccurate. I am starting to think that I have one of those slow blue models, I would just like to know what to do to fix it because if it is running stronger at full throttle then perhaps it will also get better gas mileage at partial throttle.

Admittedly I'm reading this thread very late and frankly skipped over almost all of it because I didn't see the most obvious answer quantified to one of the original questions. Yes, altitude does affect horsepower dramatically. To be precise, 3.5% reduction in horsepower for every 1,000 feet of altitutde in normally aspirated engines (doesn't matter if it's carbed or injected according to the dyno charts). So, between 3,500 and 5,000 altitude ignoring the other variables like temperature you're down 12% to 17.5% horsepower.

Even butto dynos can measure that difference.

Really? I'm reading through again and I don't see anywhere somebody giving the specific % per 1,000 feet figure.

Really?  I'm reading through again and I don't see anywhere somebody giving the specific % per 1,000 feet figure.
I thought it was 2.5 percent per 1000 feet but after reading your earlier thread and doing some research, it looks like your 3.5 percent per 1000 feet is pretty accurate as long as there is not a dramatic change in the pressure and temperature.