Anybody slide a Givi 46 Top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
The wife has always thought the Givi topx was a bit too close. It was a bit better after removing the Givi back-rest, but still too close. I measured the distance of her contact points with Givi on and off. There is about a 1.5 inch difference. So;

It looks like I can unbolt the black plastic Givi mount, drill some holes in both the metal frame attach points and 2 in the plastic mount point. It would be a bit of work, but it seems possible.

Has anybody done such a job that can offer suggestions and insights to this modification?

Thanks.

Sport

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,

I used the Givi universal plate on the standard rack, I also shaved down the Givi Pad.

It's still on after 70K

Chris

Yes, I used the Givi universal plate on the standard rack, I also shaved down the Givi Pad.

It's still on after 70K

Chris

Looks like the universal rack (E250) mounts to the FJR fiberglass rack. Currently I have the Givi V46 tube steel rack and was hoping to just find a way to slide the V46 box back approx 2" back and remount it to the tube frame with minimal modifications.

Thoughts?

A couple of years ago someone had a method to do exactly that. I don't remember if if was on the Givi rack.

Bob? Paging Bob? Mr. Toecutter to the white courtesy phone, please.

Rick,

I did it, but, hardly with minimum effort....unless you're a welder. Cut the mounting plates off the Givi rack, cut out 2 similar pieces of steel, but longer, welded them back onto the Givi rack, and had it powdercoated.

Cut the mounting plates off the Givi rack, cut out 2 similar pieces of steel, but longer, welded duct-taped them back onto the Givi rack, and had it powdercoated.
Amended for Rick's benefit...

Sorry but I couldn't pass this one up. :yahoo:

Search old posts. In 05 I bought from Toecutter a plate that he had made a few of, steel with matching holes to allow the trunk to be back 3 inches. Still have it on and works great. Also makes a good place to put the magnetic antenna for the sirius.

Hmm, Met him last summer while spending time with the family.

Dr. Toecutter, calling Dr. Toecutter...

Yes, I used the Givi universal plate on the standard rack, I also shaved down the Givi Pad.

It's still on after 70K

Chris

Looks like the universal rack (E250) mounts to the FJR fiberglass rack. Currently I have the Givi V46 tube steel rack and was hoping to just find a way to slide the V46 box back approx 2" back and remount it to the tube frame with minimal modifications.

Thoughts?
I think the reason he is recommending that plate is that the underside of it is a honeycomb of mounting options, letting you move it back on your steel rack. I plan on doing the same thing with the same base, on the same tube frame. Toecutter was selling a version on here of his adapter plate, maybe search 'givi mount' and you'll find it.

Cut the mounting plates off the Givi rack, cut out 2 similar pieces of steel, but longer, welded duct-taped them back onto the Givi rack, and had it powdercoated.

Truth be told, it was bubble gum. Bubblicious if I remember correctly.

btw...welcome back, Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
PM'd Toecutter who offered his link here for us lazy people not willing to do a search. Thank you Robert.

Rob no longer has the means to make or sell his creation, but has given me the know-how to create my own. Pete, you mentioned something about a piece of plate steel lying around the house? Otherwise, I'll look for some 1/4"-3/8" Aluminum and make my own.

Thanks for all the input. I'll report back as this project progresses.

Pete, your just jealous that I have a duct tape wallet...and it's bigger better than yours. :blink:

Truth be told, it was bubble gum. Bubblicious if I remember correctly.

btw...welcome back, Pete
Randy, How'd you find out? That was old school. Haven't ya heard, I've since graduated. :rolleyes:

Rick,

I do have that piece of steel plate which you are welcome to. As for being jealous of the duct-tape wallet...Nah, methinks I will stick with the Gucci. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome back Randy, but you might have turned the heat up a bit. Way too chilly for my old bones...

Just made up a template using cardboard. Now I need to find material that suits my taste. I like the idea of using a piece of 1/8" aluminum, but am not against using some kind of steel sheet.

I'll follow-up when I find what I'm looking for.

SW Motech makes a plate for the givi 46 that mounts to the FJR that is adjustable. You can find it at www.twistedthrotttle.com