Assimilated!!! Finally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPrice

Fish Cop (retired)
Reaction score
Greetings,

I introduced myself about a year ago, and have been lusting for, and doing a lot of looking for the FJR. I read this forum almost every day. All the "shootouts" re: sport tourers say the same thing, the FJR is the best, for the money, and always handles the best or darn near, in the tests. I do have some experience, owned 3 Yamaha street bikes in the late 1970's and early 1980's including 2 XS 750 triples which I rode the hell out of, and various dirt bikes. After a long hiatus from riding, I started again on a 2008 Kawasaki Versys 650, which is a blast to ride, and I farkled the heck out of it for "light" sport touring, and indeed did a lot of overnight/long trips, as well as shorter "to town" one's. The longest one day distance being darn near 500 miles, no problem (well I took a two hour break in the middle). The Versys is too much fun in the twisties, you can "hammer" the throttle anytime and not have to worry. I know that's not the case with the FJR!

So, after unsuccessfully trying to deal and find a good price here locally and anywhere else within 400 miles, I saw an ad for an 'O6 FJR with 366 miles on the ODO, for about $8k. 366 Miles!!!!! Holy Smokes! Now, I know that's not a fantastic deal, from my research, but I thought it was pretty good for an essentially brand new bike. I called them last night and said I'd be there TODAY!

Anyway, I traveled the 120 miles to the dealer, and sure enough, upon thorough inspection, the bike appeared brand new. The interior bags for the hard cases (and other things) were still in the plastic wrappers, unused. There were absolutely no scratches, and no evidence of any tip overs. The bike was completely serviced too. No "Farkles" evident, it's stock.

Thanks to this forum, I knew the questions to ask, and made sure that the recalls were addressed, which they were (at least according to the paperwork).

Also, I like the color, more than most other years. But really, that had no effect on my decision, honest.

Anyway, I bought it, and hauled it home on a trailer. Still figuring out how to afford it, but if it's as good, and as much fun as many of you say, that will be a minor issue.

No, I haven't ridden (rode?) it yet, it's safely stowed in the garage, under a cover. I may work up my nerve in the next day or two.....................I'm thinking the big Church parking lot, down the street, for low speed "starters"??

Take care, Bob

Congrats. :yahoo:

I hope you don't need a TARP bailout now. :p

Enjoy the bike, and ride safe.

Have you taken an MSF course or anythng? Might want to try one. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
:yahoo: :yahoo: [SIZE=24pt]YAAAAY![/SIZE] :yahoo: :yahoo:

There's nothing like a new bike in the garage,
Especially if it's an FJR!

Most excellent buy! And a steal when you consider it is the manliest and fastest color possible for an FJR... :clapping:

Does it have TOGS or sliders? If not, get them pronto. You won't be used to the heft of the old girl after the Versys, especially if you toodle along in a parking lot. So what farkles are ya gonna get? Feel like coming to WFO? It's only a couple states over to Cali...

I'm excited for you!.

Might I suggest the G2 throttle cam, aftermarket levers, and a GENI master slave cylinder swap -- those three things really help with throttle response and ease of shifting on the '06.

Congrats bro!

WHAT!!! your not sleeping next to your new girl.

I spent most of the first day just smiling and staring at her. Definitely put on the sliders before heading out. She's a top heavy beast for sure. Just be careful in slow turns. Once she's moving you'll be fine.

Congrat's from Mass.

Dave

Greetings,
I introduced myself about a year ago, and have been lusting for, and doing a lot of looking for the FJR. I read this forum almost every day. All the "shootouts" re: sport tourers say the same thing, the FJR is the best, for the money, and always handles the best or darn near, in the tests. I do have some experience, owned 3 Yamaha street bikes in the late 1970's and early 1980's including 2 XS 750 triples which I rode the hell out of, and various dirt bikes. After a long hiatus from riding, I started again on a 2008 Kawasaki Versys 650, which is a blast to ride, and I farkled the heck out of it for "light" sport touring, and indeed did a lot of overnight/long trips, as well as shorter "to town" one's. The longest one day distance being darn near 500 miles, no problem (well I took a two hour break in the middle). The Versys is too much fun in the twisties, you can "hammer" the throttle anytime and not have to worry. I know that's not the case with the FJR!

So, after unsuccessfully trying to deal and find a good price here locally and anywhere else within 400 miles, I saw an ad for an 'O6 FJR with 366 miles on the ODO, for about $8k. 366 Miles!!!!! Holy Smokes! Now, I know that's not a fantastic deal, from my research, but I thought it was pretty good for an essentially brand new bike. I called them last night and said I'd be there TODAY!

Anyway, I traveled the 120 miles to the dealer, and sure enough, upon thorough inspection, the bike appeared brand new. The interior bags for the hard cases (and other things) were still in the plastic wrappers, unused. There were absolutely no scratches, and no evidence of any tip overs. The bike was completely serviced too. No "Farkles" evident, it's stock.

Thanks to this forum, I knew the questions to ask, and made sure that the recalls were addressed, which they were (at least according to the paperwork).

Also, I like the color, more than most other years. But really, that had no effect on my decision, honest.

Anyway, I bought it, and hauled it home on a trailer. Still figuring out how to afford it, but if it's as good, and as much fun as many of you say, that will be a minor issue.

No, I haven't ridden (rode?) it yet, it's safely stowed in the garage, under a cover. I may work up my nerve in the next day or two.....................I'm thinking the big Church parking lot, down the street, for low speed "starters"??

Take care, Bob

Most excellent buy! And a steal when you consider it is the manliest and fastest color possible for an FJR... :clapping:
Does it have TOGS or sliders? If not, get them pronto. You won't be used to the heft of the old girl after the Versys, especially if you toodle along in a parking lot. So what farkles are ya gonna get? Feel like coming to WFO? It's only a couple states over to Cali...

I'm excited for you!.

Might I suggest the G2 throttle cam, aftermarket levers, and a GENI master slave cylinder swap -- those three things really help with throttle response and ease of shifting on the '06.

Congrats bro!
I knew it was the fastest color but didn't want to say anything to offend those with slower colors............................. I'm new here you know. :rolleyes:

No TOGS or Sliders, this thing is completely stock, as far as I can tell. From reading here, I know they are mandatory, as well as the G2 Throttle cam. I'm on it!!! I forgot to mention that I did get a 2 year YES Warranty, as folks here said that's almost mandatory too.

Maybe I'll delay the parking lot practice 'til the Sliders arrive!!?? It's cold and windy with threatening rain today anyway.

Thanks!!

Congrats. :yahoo:
I hope you don't need a TARP bailout now. :p

Enjoy the bike, and ride safe.

Have you taken an MSF course or anythng? Might want to try one. ;)

why not bail him out with some TARP, we are already in a deep debt by our pres that we will never ever pay back. Congrats on the bike!

Y'know, a suspicious mind like mine pulls the weirdest stuff out of deep memory by word association. I hear "low miles" and "06" and I come up with "gauge panel replacement." To fix a MPG readout stuck on 17 they had to replace the gauge cluster, which brought in a brand new 0-miles odometer. There's supposed to be a statement of such with the bike's paperwork, so I hope there hasn't been any shenanigans.

The fact that the bike is "brand new" and stuff is still in plastic looks good for it, but I'd check the recall history of the VIN. You ought to anyway, not because I'm suspicious, but because things like the altitude sickness, ignition switch, aforementioned gauge cluster, etc. are real and genuine recalls that might not have been done on a dealer lot.

Y'know, a suspicious mind like mine pulls the weirdest stuff out of deep memory by word association. I hear "low miles" and "06" and I come up with "gauge panel replacement." To fix a MPG readout stuck on 17 they had to replace the gauge cluster, which brought in a brand new 0-miles odometer. There's supposed to be a statement of such with the bike's paperwork, so I hope there hasn't been any shenanigans.
The fact that the bike is "brand new" and stuff is still in plastic looks good for it, but I'd check the recall history of the VIN. You ought to anyway, not because I'm suspicious, but because things like the altitude sickness, ignition switch, aforementioned gauge cluster, etc. are real and genuine recalls that might not have been done on a dealer lot.
I was suspicious too, and as mentioned previously I checked the warranty information print outs from Yamaha, it appears the recalls were taken care of. Also, they showed me a "FJR Owner's Manual Sticker", a sticker inside the accessory box, and another separate document. The stickers say: "The odometer in the vehicle was replaced on 9/23/06 with 224 miles", with the Dealer's name and a signature below that. So, I said, "OK, then this bike has 224 + 366 miles on it." They said, No, it has 366 total miles on it, as the ECU was set to the correct mileage when replaced." I didn't argue further, because I wasn't sure.

With the above being said, do you think the bike has 366 miles or 366 + 224 = 590 miles, or something else???? I'm not sure what else I could have asked. I now suspect it has 590 miles.

Let me know what you think,

...With the above being said, do you think the bike has 366 miles or 366 + 224 = 590 miles, or something else???? I'm not sure what else I could have asked. I now suspect it has 590 miles.

Almost certainly 590, I don't believe it is possible to change the odometer reading.

My advice, get the 600 mile service done, then put lots of miles on it. The discrepancy won't matter then.

...With the above being said, do you think the bike has 366 miles or 366 + 224 = 590 miles, or something else???? I'm not sure what else I could have asked. I now suspect it has 590 miles.

Almost certainly 590, I don't believe it is possible to change the odometer reading.

My advice, get the 600 mile service done, then put lots of miles on it. The discrepancy won't matter then.
+1 :good:

Congratulations for having the good sense to by an '06, the fastest FJR color.

I'll add my $.02 on taming the abrupt throttle off idle. I used the G2 throttle cam and tube and found it helpful. It made quite a difference. But I still felt more was necessary, so I installed a PCIII. I think the addition of the PCIII did more to solve the problem, because it richens up the exessively lean condition off idle. I removed the G2 when I installed the PCIII, because the PCIII was all I hoped was needed. Indeed that is the case. I think a number of the guys here run the G2 and the PCIII, which must be a total tame!

Have fun; ride safe.

I was suspicious too, and as mentioned previously I checked the warranty information print outs from Yamaha, it appears the recalls were taken care of. Also, they showed me a "FJR Owner's Manual Sticker", a sticker inside the accessory box, and another separate document. The stickers say: "The odometer in the vehicle was replaced on 9/23/06 with 224 miles", with the Dealer's name and a signature below that. So, I said, "OK, then this bike has 224 + 366 miles on it." They said, No, it has 366 total miles on it, as the ECU was set to the correct mileage when replaced." I didn't argue further, because I wasn't sure.

With the above being said, do you think the bike has 366 miles or 366 + 224 = 590 miles, or something else???? I'm not sure what else I could have asked. I now suspect it has 590 miles.

Let me know what you think,
It has 590 miles. I have to add 4700 to my odo to get the right mileage.

You asked about holding off until the sliders come -- that is your choice, but I'd be super careful at slow speeds if you take her out. I suggest you sit on her and go "vroom vroom". A quick wash to get off the road dust from the trailering and a coat of wax wouldn't hurt. The paint is soft as well. Consider something to protect the tank from your pants (your woodies due to the FJR will push your pants out and rub) or tankbag is another item that's nice. :D

Greetings,

Take care, Bob
Welcome home Bob !!

I too love the 2006 Cobalt Blue. I have a 2008 Road Star in the same color. My Fjr is a 2004 in the silver and I like that color alot as well.

You live in a great area for the FJR too. Rode through there in "05" and hit all the parks. That byway from Bryce to Torrey is my favorite.

later

Scooper

Greetings,

Take care, Bob
Welcome home Bob !!

I too love the 2006 Cobalt Blue. I have a 2008 Road Star in the same color. My Fjr is a 2004 in the silver and I like that color alot as well.

You live in a great area for the FJR too. Rode through there in "05" and hit all the parks. That byway from Bryce to Torrey is my favorite.

later

Scooper
Scooper,

Yep, Hwy 12 (Bryce to Torrey), it doesn't get much better than that, can hardly wait to do it on the FJR now! Have you done the Burr Trail yet??

I like Silver too!!

Take care,

Congratulations for having the good sense to by an '06, the fastest FJR color.
I'll add my $.02 on taming the abrupt throttle off idle. I used the G2 throttle cam and tube and found it helpful. It made quite a difference. But I still felt more was necessary, so I installed a PCIII. I think the addition of the PCIII did more to solve the problem, because it richens up the exessively lean condition off idle. I removed the G2 when I installed the PCIII, because the PCIII was all I hoped was needed. Indeed that is the case. I think a number of the guys here run the G2 and the PCIII, which must be a total tame!

Have fun; ride safe.
Thanks!! I'm doing the research in the next couple days. G2, PCIII, sliders, or some combination and I'm "good to go"!!!

I will advise how the first ride goes.

Thanks for the advice!!