August 27-31: Ride the CO Rockies with AZ FJR Forum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumping a note CO ride event is just over a month away and there's currently only two available rooms left at Grand Imperial Hotel in Silverton, Colorado. Also, Chuck Doucet will meet us at Highway 87 and Bush Highway junction.

Big Dan from Lake Havasu City, whom many of you met at AZB Roadrunner Rally, will meet up with Uri and Sylvia in Flagstaff; then those two bikes will meet us in Holbrook at the Denny's. Originally, an unnamed individual wanted for us to meet at Romo's or Joe & Aggies. But since this anonymous biker has NOT posted addresses or phone numbers for either of these restaurants; we'll still meet up at Denny's at 10am.

The mystery cyclist does however own 2 of the ugliest Hondese 2-Wheeled Boat Anchors I've ever seen!!!

Sheesh. Someone got up on the wrong side of the couch this morning. :eek:
It's not like finding something in downtown Holbrook requires a GPS. The whole town ain't that big. Here's what I posted.

The place I like in Holbrook is Romo's.
Romo's is open 10:00AM - 8:00PM Monday - Saturday. Closed Sunday.
But being the kind citizen I am, here ya go.

Romo's Restaurant

(928) 524-2153

121 W Hopi Dr, Holbrook, AZ 86025

Cross Streets: Between Purple Heart Trl and N 1st Ave

Here's the GPS coordinates, because I know you'll be needing these also !

Thank you, Brian! Okay Colorado Riders, this is now the new meeting place at 10 am on Thursday August 27th. DS

Don,

As I look over the map of Colorado between Silverton and Gunnison, I was wondering about what our proposed route will be. Will we ride the traditional "Million Dollar Highway" Hwy 550 to Montrose from Silverton, then turn East on Hwy 50 towards Gunnison? That looks to be about a 3 hour trip.

At first I thought SR-149 left out of Silverton, but after enlarging my map, I see the road from Silverton that connects to SR-149 would require going through Howardsville, Middleton, Eureka, Animas Forks, Sherman and then Carson, before connecting to SR-149, which requires a 4X4 to get through. However, it would be a really nice off road stretch to take on either a dual-purpose machine (possibly) or an ATV. Going through "Carson Ghost Town" (one of the most inaccessible mining camps ever in Colorado) would be cool. Quoting the website I researched, it states getting to Carson is available only "via a treacherous four-wheel drive road from the north and a hiking or horse trail from the south".

So I guess it's over the mountains to Montrose, which is a beautiful ride anyway. So I guess I was just rambling! On Well! My MS Streets & Trips is trying to tell me to take the dirt road out of Silverton, then connect to SR-149.

Dan,

When we leave Silverton, you are correct that we take "The Million Dollar Highway" to Montrose. But from there we head North to Olathe, then East at Delta to Hotchkiss and Crawford. This allows us to ride Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. After we tour the Park, we then ride to PinHeadLand, Gunnison for the night. This will be eight hours of scenic riding.

Of course, if we wait 3 hours, that freaking busy body SkooterG will get his ass on here and provide us a new damned route!

Just as a suggestion, on our return trip back to Cortez, Colorado for our second night stay at the Days Inn, has any one ever rode this route; Heading South out of Montrose on Hwy 550 about 3 miles South of Dallas turning West on Hwy 62 towards Ridgeway, CO, taking Hwy-62 to the end, turn South on 145 all the way to Cortez, riding through the San Juan National Forest and the Uncompahgre National Forest. Highway 145 crosses over Lizard Head Pass at close to 14,000. It looks to be a really nice ride along Hwy-145.
lizard_head_pass01t.jpg
lizard_head_pass02t.jpg
telluride1t.jpg
telluride2t.jpg
lizard_head_pass03t.jpg
lizard_head_pass04t.jpg
lizard_head_pass05t.jpg
lizard_head_pass06t.jpg
lizard_head_pass09t.jpg
lizard_head_pass10t.jpg
lizard_head_pass12t.jpg
lizard_head_pass13t.jpg
lizard_head_pass14t.jpg
lizard_head_pass15t.jpg
lizard_head_pass16t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A bump reminder that one calendar month from today, August 27, we Southwest FJR Forumites are leaving for Colorado.

There are still plenty of rooms at Day's Inn in Cortez and Alpine Inn in Gunnison. Not so at Grand Imperial.

You will need to get on a cancellation list at the Grand Imperial or use https://www.hotels.com for another place.

https://www.hotels.com/processIndexSearch.d...mp;refined=true Though, you'll be in Telluride; 15 miles away from our M/C group

I'm really looking forward to this trip. Took a ride today up to Laughlin to pick up some concert tickets and it was plain miserable. It was 108 at 10am this morning. But, I can say in all insanity, I was ATGATT. I'm glad I had picked up a nice vented jacket to wear a few months ago for days like today.

Don,

It's looking like I'll be able to meet your group in Cortez and do the entire ride into Gunnison with you. I know I'll have to scrounge up some alternative lodging around Silverton.

If I do that, the BBQ we talked about for Saturday might not work out since I'll be arriving in Gunnison with you and probably won't have much time to prepare anything, but I'd rather ride than cook anyday. Can we come up with a different dinner plan for Saturday night?

Hi Dave,

Let's forget about the BBQ Saturday night and go to a restaurant that you recommend. As Mayor of Gunnison, you decide!!!

https://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Albuquerqu...uride&2s=CO Was just doing some FJR site checking and there are lots of FJR Forum Members living within 400 miles of Telluride that could ride up and join our group for just a night.

You do not have to feel compelled to ride all five days and four nights with the Zonie group. Just pick the night you want to be there and you would be welcomed with open arms. I researched that there is a certain Armadillo Kissing FJR Jockey in Albuquerque, New Mexico that would only need 6 hours and 350 miles to join us; bringing his muy bonita Esposa with him.

Salt Lake City, Utah; Casper, Wyoming and naturally Denver are within easy striking distance. Come join us for a night!!!

Brian's suggested route sounds fine to me. Even modest scenery beats superslab!
In one week we begin our Rockies adventure. This morning to I went to www.cnn.com/weather to find out what temperatures to expect. The list below shows the high and low for today for most of the towns on our two planned tours. Not shown are the mountain passes which could easily be a bit colder. Precipitation is always a possibility in these mountains. Obviously the temperatures riding to and from Colorado will be warmer. So think carefully about what gear you will need.

San Juan Scenic Byway – 1 day trip

Durango Hi 85° | Lo 45°

Silverton Hi 66° | Lo 32°

Ouray Hi 72° | Lo 38°

Ridgeway Unavailable

Placerville Hi 72° | Lo 38°

Sawpit Unavailable

Rico Hi 69° | Lo 36°

Dolores Hi 83° | Lo 49°

Mancos Unavailable

The Silver Thread - 2 day trip

Durango Hi 85° | Lo 45°

Chimney Rock Unavailable

Pagosa Springs Unavailable

South Fork Unavailable

Creede Hi 73° | Lo 38°

Lake city Hi 73° | Lo 38°

Montrose Hi 85° | Lo 50°

Ridgeway Unavailable

Ouray Hi 72° | Lo 38°

Silverton Hi 66° | Lo 32°
Thanks Uri! Valuable information on our expected weather in the Colorado Rockies. Double Gunny on bringing rain gear!

BUMP REMINDER: One week from today Arizona FJR Forum will be riding to the beautiful and scenic Colorado Rockies!!!

If you have been sitting on the fence on this Arizona FJR Forum ride, it is still NOT too late to go! There are still rooms available at the Day's Inn in Cortez and the Alpine Inn in Gunnison. Rooms in Silverton are all sold out, but you can go to https://www.hotels.com and get a room in Telluride, just 15 beautiful miles of riding away from us.

Also, you are not required to attend the entire five days and four nights. Show up where you want and leave when you want. You could just meet us in Silverton for one night, if you wanted to ride two 500 mile days.

Need any more info on this CO ride: Please call Don Stanley at 480-917-3863 or post [email protected]

Don,

I just booked my reservations for Cortez and Silverton. I'll be meeting you at the Days Inn in Cortez on Thursday evening, then riding with you to Silverton where I'm booked at the Prospector Motel. On Saturday, I'll ride to Gunnison with your group and my wife and I will have dinner with you.

If you have a good guess at the number of riders, I can make a reservation for dinner on Saturday night at the Ol' Miner Steak House in Gunnison.

See you in Cortez!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, Here is the Arizona contingent riding up to see you in Cortez:

Uri and Sylvia Schumm, Surprise, AZ.

Enrique "Henry" Garza, Mesa.

Dan Compton, Big-D of FJR Forum of Lake Havasu City.

Dr. Bob Flanders, Mesa.

Chuck Doucet, Scottsdale.

Brian and Melanie Boles, Mesa.

Dave - Pinhead from FJR Forum, Gunnison, Colorado.

We will also have dinner with Dave's wife on Saturday in Gunnison.

Don Stanley, BeemerDonS of FJR Forum from Chandler, AZ and Rena Ballerina from Katy, Tejas.

Day 1: Phoenix to Cortez, CO via Heber, Holbrook, Chinle and Shiprock, New Mexico.

Day 2: Cortez to Silverton via Dolores, Rico, Telluride, Placerville, Ridgway and Ouray. This is the routing described by Big-D and shown with pictures in his Post #26 above.

Day 3: Silverton to Gunnison via Montrose, Delta, Olathe, Hotchkiss and Crawford.

Day 4: Gunnison to Cortez via Salida, Monte Vista, Pagosa Springs and Durango.

Day 5: Cortez to Phoenix; mirror image route reversal of Day Number One ride.

-----Original Message-----

To: Don Stanley <[email protected]>

Sent: Sun, Aug 23, 2009 9:45 am

Subject: One more thing...

I know you are probably out riding this morning so I am writing you instead.... Never mind on the hotel info...I went back page by page and wrote down the hotel info...I just need the final route...oh and can you PLEASE list who is coming with their club names so I can figure out who is who before I get there...thanks.....off to buy long johns just in case!!!!