August 27-31: Ride the CO Rockies with AZ FJR Forum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir Stanley, let's see here.

You go on a multi-day trip, through some of the most beautiful

motorcycling country on the planet, and we get........... ten pictures and a sentence?

That's weak, even for a first installment.

I'll give you a few days, ....and remember that your Robusto hermanos are going to want to see pics of the spread

at the Ol' Miner.

(Glad to see that you're back safely.)

....and remember that your Robusto hermanos are going to want to see pics of the spread at the Ol' Miner.
Well, Don can tell you that I don't EVER stand a chance of getting into the Robusto club, EVER, but I can say that the dinner at Ol' Miner wouldn't have helped me even if I was teetering on the brink of membership. For me, it was the only low point of the weekend and I'll have to think hard before recommending it again.

[SIZE=8pt]...unless, of course, they were to offer me a lifetime membership in the you-drink-for-free-at-the-Miner club, in which case I might send one more unsuspecting soul there... if I REALLY didn't like that person.[/SIZE]

Here's Uri taking a picture before leaving the Days Inn in Cortez. In Uri's shot from left-to-right:

Sylvia, Mel, Brian, and Dan

IMG_7495.jpg

Dan in Telluride responding to what must have been a very important text message:

IMG_7507.jpg

Here's Uri and Sylvia. These two were wonderful to chat with and great characters. Uri has an interesting hobbie baking breads with wild yeast and I'm sure I'm going to be picking his brain about it as I try my hand at it. Listening to Sylvia describe the smell of Uri's creations baking in the oven made my mouth water. And Sylvia, I still want that relleno recipe.

IMG_7510.jpg

Here's me, Chuck, and Dan shortly after arriving in Silverton. Chuck insisted on buying me enough drinks before dinner that I had to go take a nap shortly after this picture was taken. It's a good thing too, because I was just about to challenge Dan to an arm-wrestling match. He wouldn't have stood a chance. :rolleyes: [SIZE=8pt]Again, that's me on the left, Dan on the right.[/SIZE] Obviously, I would have sent him running from the bar cryin' for his Mommy. :lol:

Like everybody on this trip, Chuck had enough stories to keep me entertained and wanting more for hours on end. After a successful business transaction earlier in life, he spent two years sailing with his wife off the west coast of North America!

IMG_7514.jpg

Here's everybody at the Pickle Barrel (or pickle-something-or-other) in Silverton. From left to right:

Dan, Uri, Sylvia, Rena, Big Don hisself, Chuck (front row), Dr. Bob, Mel, and Brian.

IMG_7516.jpg

Unfortunately, Uri and Sylvia woke up to a dead battery on Saturday morning and, after jumping it off of someone else's bike, decided to high-tail it south to the nearest Beemer dealer for a check-up. I'm not sure if yuropian Beemers do this naturally or if Uri just didn't get enough sleep, but he decided that the left side of the road was the best place to be in downtown Silverton. Oncoming traffic never stood a chance...

IMG_7520.jpg

After Uri's departure, Don wouldn't stop yapping about how he wanted more cruiser-like ergonomics on his German junk. "If I could just get floorboards welded on RIGHT HERE this bike would be PERFECT! I mean look at it! How cool is that?!!"

IMG_7518.jpg

We did our best to explain the gound clearance issues to him, but I dunno. I'm affraid he'll have the custom fabrication done by the time I see him in Page next month and he'll show up in black leather chaps with fringe. Skooter needs to get home soon and straighten him out. :lol:

After leaving Silverton, we headed north over 550 again. :thumbsup:

IMG_7512.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

After the second pass, I had to bee-line it home since I'd pushed my balding tires as far as I was willing to push them. :whistle: Someone else will have to post pics of the rest of the ride.

Thanks, Don, for putting this together.

<edit>

Oops. I forgot to add these last two shots:

IMG_7504.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Dave and Kyndall, Thanks for issuing Entrance Visas to the Great State of Colorado for we heat maddened Arizonans!

Wonderful seeing you again and we had a great time. Everyone remarked on how much they enjoyed conversing with you.

Uri is indeed an interesting guy. He and I have ridden motorcycles together 1,000 times: including Spain, Germany, Italy.....

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...g14533#msg14533 Here is Uri's Ride Report and many more pics.

Last edited by a moderator: