Average age of FJR owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45 years old.

I've owned 3 street bikes:

1980 Honda CB400T

1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport, bought it when it was a couple of years old, and rode it every year since.

2008 FJR

4 Dirt Bikes

1977 Suzuki RM100

1977 Yamaha DT175

2001 Kawasaki KDX 200

2009 KTM 300 XC-We

I don't get to ride too much anymore. A big year for me would be 2000 miles on road and 2000 miles off road.

Joe

I'm 26, owned my FJR since I was 22. Bought it brand spankin' new so all 100k+ miles are mine. Never was a crotch rocket fan, can't do the cruiser thing because of knee injuries (and realizing they just weren't for me), and I always dreamed of riding long distances across the country. I was also a heavy commuter in CA so I wanted something with power and cargo room for carrying all my stuff. Sport touring bikes were the perfect solution - be a speed demon when I feel like it but always comfortable in the process! I'm not alone in bucking the trend either; when I met the person who eventually became my husband he was a 22 year old on a BMW K1200RS.

I actually find it amusing to see the faces of customers when they realize that a young, short female rides the monster bike that sits outside of the motorcycle shop I work at. :lol:
U go young girl!!! :yahoo:

Hi All,

I am 27 and a half, and have been for many years. WTF would you want to be older.

All the best to everybody.

Surly

:ph34r:

I can't remember if I responded to this post or not. Before you go talking about my memory, look in the mirror. You can't remember nuthin' either.

Gary

darksider #44 and just turned 55.

I'm 26, owned my FJR since I was 22. Bought it brand spankin' new so all 100k+ miles are mine. Never was a crotch rocket fan, can't do the cruiser thing because of knee injuries (and realizing they just weren't for me), and I always dreamed of riding long distances across the country. I was also a heavy commuter in CA so I wanted something with power and cargo room for carrying all my stuff. Sport touring bikes were the perfect solution - be a speed demon when I feel like it but always comfortable in the process! I'm not alone in bucking the trend either; when I met the person who eventually became my husband he was a 22 year old on a BMW K1200RS.

I actually find it amusing to see the faces of customers when they realize that a young, short female rides the monster bike that sits outside of the motorcycle shop I work at. :lol:
My daughter is scared to death to drive my FJR, she owns a Suzuki 250. She's 5'3" and 105 lbs. Just curious, are you her size?
Gary

darksider #44

On reflection I thought I should share my inner most thought,

"I've often been asked, 'What do you old folks do now that you're retired?' Well...one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and vodka into urine. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."?

Regards

Surly

gryahouse

Boy you have the nerve asking a girl/women her size? :eek: She volunteered her age, that should be enough, not? :glare:

Your curiousity could get you in trouble. :lol: :lol:

You are my hero.

I, too dreamed of riding across country when I was 18. I did, but not as much as I would like. Due to finances/college/family obligations I left riding for awhile...but it never left me. When I was in my 40s I finally got back to that which I makes me look forward to life and the adventures ahead...picked up my first FJR in October of '03...between both of my FJRs, I have only logged about 95,000 miles...but they have all been fun miles. :yahoo:

I am goin to be 34 this year. Just got my FJR! :yahoo: Been riding now for 4 years! Had to get something to keep up with Dads(56) 06 Goldwing! We have been riding the old Honda DOHC bikes. Dads a 1979 he bought new and me a 82 CB900! Wanted some fuel injection and the added comfort of a great charging system compared to the older bikes!

I'll lower the average a little bit. I'm 29, owned my FJR for 4 weeks now and have put 2,000 miles on it so far and feel like I haven't been riding it enough! I guess I have spent to much time farkling it! Have some longer trips planned for this summer that I can't wait for, summer needs to get here faster!

My daughter is scared to death to drive my FJR, she owns a Suzuki 250. She's 5'3" and 105 lbs. Just curious, are you her size?
Gary

darksider #44

gryahouse

Boy you have the nerve asking a girl/women her size? :eek: She volunteered her age, that should be enough, not? :glare:

:lol:

Actually, I get asked this all the time because you don't see too many of us ladies on an FJR. I'm a little under 5'6" and about 195 lbs. (I play sports so my frame is more like 180 lbs.). My FJR has not been lowered; I elected to go with a Corbin seat upgrade which made it short enough for me. Speaking of ladies that ride FJRs, I'd go talk to Silver Penguin; she's shorter than me and rides a Gen I. Her elevated boots are just pure genius and makes the bike so much more manageable. I think she also lowered it too.

Funny you mentioned that your daughter rides a Suzuki 250. My first bike was a GZ250. Never in my wildest imagination did I think I was going to ride an FJR but I gradually got to that point with lots of practice with lots of motorcycles. It's just a matter of understanding weight balance and having a solid understanding of clutch and smooth braking...that's the part that took a while and lots of repetition.

You are my hero.

I, too dreamed of riding across country when I was 18. I did, but not as much as I would like. Due to finances/college/family obligations I left riding for awhile...but it never left me. When I was in my 40s I finally got back to that which I makes me look forward to life and the adventures ahead...picked up my first FJR in October of '03...between both of my FJRs, I have only logged about 95,000 miles...but they have all been fun miles. :yahoo:
Thanks! The FJR is my fourth owned bike. I started in college with that GZ250 and moved to touring/long distance riding between CA/NV/AZ when I was 20 or so on my Suzuki SV650N. I picked up the FJR when I got my first "real" job as an educator and glad I did back then. If I waited until now I wouldn't have had the chance to take advantage of all those three-month summer vacations! Nowadays it's that "one big trip" so I plan accordingly. Motorcycling was something I completely jumped into and it became so much a part of my world that my life (and my job) revolve around two wheels.

Regardless of the miles, it's definitely all about the fun. I bet you've seen quite a few sights traveling through the years and sometimes I wish I had more time to go on rides that allowed me to "smell the roses." The FJR was, literally, my car when I still lived in CA (and still is out in Ohio as long as it's not icy). Lots of my miles are highway commuting from north Orange County to Downtown LA with the occasional stop in Tustin, about a 120 mile round trip. Now that my commute is much less ridiculous (only 25 miles one way!) and I'm in another part of the country it's just an excuse to tag other parts of the US. I still want to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Southeast US, and do the Dragon (US 129) just to say I did it. :)

I hope you get lots of fun rides in this summer! And take lots of pictures. I get to go home to CA for this year's big run! :yahoo:

gryahouse

Thanks for the advice,Petey. I was feeling brave since I live in Florida. Then I find out she's taller than I am. I'm locking the doors just in case. Anyway, good for you, Two wheeled tourist. Ride safe and enjoy the power.By the way, since this thread is about age, guess I should confess: I'm 55 years old and got my first bike when I was 11. Vespa motor scooter. It spent as much time on its side as it did on its wheels. It could climb hills pretty good if you paddled with your feet to help it along.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
On reflection I thought I should share my inner most thought,

"I've often been asked, 'What do you old folks do now that you're retired?' Well...one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and vodka into urine. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."?

Regards

Surly

Sir Surly, You're My Hero!

Great Minds Do Think Alike!

...The FJR was, literally, my car when I still lived in CA (and still is out in Ohio as long as it's not icy)...
As long as you're in Ohio, do SE Ohio for a fun weekend. You may already have encountered this little gem...but just thought I would mention it, just in case.

Search in the midwest section for for past mentions of the Ohio Ramble, SE Ohio Ramble, etc.

PM me if you want more information on that corner of your new state.

I'm 58 but my wife say's I'm going on 12! been riding for 43 years and this is my 37th bike (I'm a sick man).

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
...The FJR was, literally, my car when I still lived in CA (and still is out in Ohio as long as it's not icy)...
As long as you're in Ohio, do SE Ohio for a fun weekend. You may already have encountered this little gem...but just thought I would mention it, just in case.

Search in the midwest section for for past mentions of the Ohio Ramble, SE Ohio Ramble, etc.

PM me if you want more information on that corner of your new state.
Oh yes, I meandered down there a couple times, spent a weekend in Hocking Hills and the surrounding roads and took OH-555 all the way down and a couple others on a random Tuesday afternoon. I need more time to really ride through that area and sneak into other parts of WV and Northern KY.

I'm 58 but my wife say's I'm going on 12! been riding for 43 years and this is my 37th bike (I'm a sick man).

Gary
Thirty-seven bikes? Would be nice if that was all at the same time. :lol:

People with lots of shoes are often compared to the likes of Imelda Marcos. I wonder who we motorcyclists are compared to when we have that many bikes...