Avon Storm Ultra 2 - Initial Impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I very rarely ever see 10,000 km (6200 miles) on the rear and I am already well past that on the Storm II. Still happy with the tire. The only issue that I have found was the rear started to get a little sketchy in the rain one day. My buddy (on a ZX-14) using the same tire and also used regular storms prior to this had the same issue. Not sure if it was the road surface or the tire. I think that if I had aired it down slightly it would have helped. The front has not been on that long but is showing little to no wear. I will put another one on when this one is done.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Storms. The front is in perfect condition put the rear is at its wear bars with 4000 miles on them. And I am not hard on them normal riding with 42 pounds in them. How far are you riding into the wear bars to get 10000 miles out of the rear tire.

I am running these on the front (sone kind of bridgestone on the rear). 1500 miles into it I am much happier than the PR II's.

My commute is either 35 miles of backroads, most of which are 20-50mph twisties (which I ride fairly aggressively), or 28 miles of Hwy. This tire does great on both, feels less twitchy, lighter, and rides the road more smoothly than PR II's

They feel MUCH smoother, and are overall much more consistant in turns. I dont get the 'fall into the turn' feeling like I do on the PR II's, but they turn how I like = evenly. There are no surpirzes. I took a tread measurement when I installed them. I will remeasure in another 1500 miles to see how they are wearing.

And that low speed wobble....not on these.

Me likes

Last edited by a moderator:
I put on a fresh set of Avon Ultra Strorm 2's and then rode out to the WCR from eastern Ontario and then went to NAFO on the same tires (total 17000 km = 10600 miles). Combination of twisties and slab (about 30% twisties & 70% slab). Here is a photo of the front tire...

1036823613_sVTVy-L.jpg

Apparently, I'm lopsided and wear out the right side quicker. I am more agressive on righthanders compared to lefties. Don't know why but I know I am more comfortable going right. Then again I have over 40 years of dirtbike experience and keep trying to treat the FJR like a big dirtbike (it doesn't really like it). At least I'm an enduro rider and leave my feet on the pegs. I think if you stuck your foot out motocross style in the corners you would end up kicking yourself in the back of the head.

Tires stuck well and worked well in the wet until I made them bald in the middle from too much slab. I ran a set of PR2's at CFR but found the Avons a little more easy on the initial turn in. After having the suspension reworked at GP suspensions on my WCR trip the bike was greatly improved in the twisties (tested on the Mt St Helens road) and the bike held a really nice line. I was much more confident and had a much better feel for the road.

There would be some vibration under hard braking but this may have been a balance issue but I have seen others complain about tire chatter with Avons.

Apparently, I'm lopsided and wear out the right side quicker.
That is odd. Usually left side wears out quicker and cups before the right side does. Then again, I did tell you you dangled one foot and were on the bike a little 'skewed'. I don't remember if it was to the left side or not. Guess thats to be expected when your prototyping parts for RoboCop. :)

Apparently, I'm lopsided and wear out the right side quicker.
... Guess thats to be expected when your prototyping parts for RoboCop. :)
I have to have a note from my doctor when I go to the airport because between the screws in my shoulder and the new knee I light up the metal detector like a Christmas Tree...

687257506_urv2t-L.jpg

687257618_K2CjG-L.jpg

Bill, maybe you're a little seized on the left side.... don't you know you have to oil that thing every 5000 km!!

Good tire report guys... keep us posted on pressures and wear... I might want to try these (unless I do a darkside trial first).

Update:

With new front springs I've developed a bit of annoying 50mph head shake. Forum recommendation: new tire. So, even though the Storm2 has 1/2 its life left, a new Pirelli Angel ST is on its way. Folks may remember my original post that I very much liked the Pirelli Diablo Stradas so it was an easy choice to try the Angel (not to mention good forum feedback).

No visible issues but the rear has developed a loss of 2 lbs per week. I'll likely replace with an Angel ST sooner than later.

I feel you pain. This was my knee after I impacted with the luggage rack of a KTM Adventure. OOPS! :angry:

10948_557899672753_33206574_33059198_3274809_n.jpg
How many gallons of Crazy Glue did it take to put that back together again?

My buddy blew up his tibia plateau in a similar manner when we were on a ski trip out west and he decided to show the locals how to ski the trees. I told him I would see him later and went my own way. Later in the day I saw Ski Patrol carting the fool off the hill.

His wife was taking great pleasure in pointing out to him that he was a doofus.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but a few have had issues with the Storm Ultra 2's per this thread https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=129631&st=0&p=749663&hl=avon&fromsearch=1entry749663

As well, a couple of failures on the ST board, but it is unknown if small punctures let air in between the layers and caused delamination. One was catastrophic with the whole tread coming off like a retread. Now, they run a different size 170-60-17 with a heavier bike.

Jes' sayin', perhaps best to keep an eye for anything unusual and check those pressures.