B-spec Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meosborn

Reaction score
I read different threads about tires and some have mentioned B-spec tires from different manufacturers. I have heard some say that it is a must for whatever particular brand that they are talking about but I'm not sure that I have read it about PRs specifically. I have run 2 sets of PRs, a set of Avons, 2 sets of Dunlops, as well as the OEM Bridgestones and all were non-B-spec (with the possible exception fo the OEMs since I didn't look) with no problems to speak of but I have never gotten great mileage (between 4000 and 4500). I don't really find the mileage that much of a concern considering my riding style. I only get about 14,000 mile out of a set (all 4) of tires on my car as well. But, I'm getting ready to by a new set of tires for the FJR and was hoping to get a little clarification on the subject. I would appreciate whatever info you guys got. :help:

As far as I know your Metzelers Z6 must have the"B" , while your Bridgestones BT020 must have the "N".

The letters merely indicate which version of that tire model is suitable and/or approved for the FJR.

In other words, don't look for the letter "B" on every brand. It does not mean the tire is FJR-specific (unless you're talking about Metzelers Z6)

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't figure that B-spec would mean FJR specific (as opposed to any other heavier bike) but more accurately was wondering if the FJR works best using B-spec tires.

Maybe I should have been more clear about what I am looking for. I was wondering if anyone has info re: Pilot Road B-spec.

I got a number for Michelin last night but they were closed. I'll give them a call to see what they say and post the info that I get.

I have never heard of different specs of the PR.

The Metzeler Z6 has a b-spec and it works better for the FJR, but, I don't believe Michelin has a b-spec for the PR.

Motorcycle Accesory Warehouse has them listed. I missed the close of the Michelin offices back east. I give it another try tomorrow. Sorry.

Got in touch w/Michelin this morning. The customer care rep that I talked to said that the standard Pilot Road is recommended for the FJR. He couldn't find what the difference between the PR and the PR B-spec is and explained that sometimes they have changes that they make to tires at the request of a manufacturer for OEM application and the B-spec might be and OEM replacement for a different bike. Considering that Motorcycle Accesory Warehouse only had the B-spec in one size that makes sense to me. I asked about load handling and he said that the load specs and speed specs for the PR and PR B-spec are the same.

Last edited by a moderator: