Back on a FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eg23232

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2013! I sold my beloved 2007 FJR over a year ago and went the adventure tourer route (Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200). I am a big Triumph fan and nothing puts a bigger grin on my face than a twisty road (or track!) on my Street Triple R. However, I wasn't enamored enough with the Tiger to keep it. Yes, I looked at the Trophy but it's just too damn big (and expensive). For all the long distance rides I do, nothing has compared to the FJR. And I'm still able to keep up with friends on Speed Triples and RC51s.

First impressions... I don't remember my 07 being this heavy. Why did they make it so you have to take off three panels just to get to the battery? Why is the bolt on the left panel a phillips head and all the others are allen head? Despite reading the manual, why can't I set the service interval mileage (it shows how to reset it to zero but not how to set the mileage to begin with)?

To do list: Fuzeblock, Pazzo levers, Zumo660 (the 550 went with the Tiger).

Anyway, looking forward to some miles. First long trip will be four days around NorCal next month (plus there and back).

Welcome back to the fold. I too have been tempted by all the bike choices out there and tried a few. I still haven't found a better ride than my trusty 2005.

Wow, you're journey was almost mine!

I too was looking for something new to replace my '04 FJR with. I'm also a Speed Triple owner and was leaning towards a Adventure tourer as a change of pace. The Tiger Explorer was tops on my list. I test drove one a couple of times and was really close to pulling the trigger on it. The Trophy was also of great interest to me but it hadn't been released at that time.

What changed the deal was when my wife and I went to the local Dallas bike show. We saw the '13 Trophy and '13 FJR for the first time. The Trophy leaned way to close to tourer than it did sport for my taste. I LOVED the new look and features of the FJR and she HATED the comfort of the Explorer. Problem solved. Picked up my '13 FJR the following weekend and haven't looked back.

Congrats! And thanks for reaffirming that I made the right call.

Wow! Not enamored with the Tiger Explorer? You are the first I've heard say that from the owners.

Congrats on the return to the FJR. Sure they all look alike but wee need to see pictures of yours in a beautiful setting!

Wow! Not enamored with the Tiger Explorer? You are the first I've heard say that from the owners.
Congrats on the return to the FJR. Sure they all look alike but wee need to see pictures of yours in a beautiful setting!
As with all the Triumphs I've owned (and the Street Triple R I still own), I love the Triumph triple engine. The Explorer 1200 is a great engine and the transmission and drive silky smooth. I bought the Explorer before the ExplorerXC model was released but after having ridden several hundred miles off-road. It was those off-road miles that ended the affair. Cast wheels chipped like crazy. Design flaw causes water to accumulate under the instruments (Triumph claims there are drain holes, but there weren't in mine). The Triumph luggage is absolute rubbish. Ironically, the main thing I abolutely loved about the Explorer was its ride by wire throttle response and that's what the majority of owners are bitching about in the forums. If I ever get another adventure bike, I'd go with the Tiger 800XC.

As for photos, I've got a trip around NorCal coming up and should get some more before then. However, off to Austin for MotoGP so will have to wait 'til then.